C5 2L HDi engine removal and peugeot 306 xtdt transplant???
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: C5 2L HDi engine removal and peugeot 306 xtdt transplant???

Default C5 2L HDi engine removal and peugeot 306 xtdt transplant???

My very beautiful and comfortable C5 has been deemed unrepairable with undetermined faults ... i have also have a 306 xtdt peugeot which is unstoppable but is manual (i am disabled and find it difficult to drive a manual)... what i would like to know ... is .. if i remove the pug engine and plant it in the C5 .. will it bolt up to the auto transmission....i believe it is AL4
    c5 = 2002 hdi 2l
    306 xtdt = 1996 2l turbo

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

How do you know it's unrepairable, if you don't know what is wrong?

I'd be amazed if that swap worked - flywheel vs torque converter; different blocks; the auto transmission encoding; and the HDI + transmission is computer driven.

The car sounds too important to you to be scrapped because it's too hard to diagnose.

it has been at the dealers for 4 months... and they were getting instructions from citroen in France.... they gave up... after trying and checking everything....

Fellow Frogger!

Very Interesting. So tell us what's wrong with the C5 engine. Seems like an engine transplant is a hell of a drastic way to cure a fault.
    Cheers Tony.

wont fit, wont connect , plus multitude of electronic issues, just fix the HDI they are fairly simple to sort

this is the deal or the saga in detail... 2001 c5 hdi 2L won't start after fuel fill up
    i am very tired of anything in a car that has a computer.... so i know going back to a non computer engine will reliably work

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 306frog View Post
    this is the deal or the saga in detail... 2001 c5 hdi 2L won't start after fuel fill up
    i am very tired of anything in a car that has a computer.... so i know going back to a non computer engine will reliably work
    Hi again
    On your previous posts you said the tank pump puts out 250ml in 15secs, now in my book that is nowhere near enough fuel, you should be looking at considerably more in 15secs. considering that a high percentage of all drawn fuel is returned to the tank after passing through the system.
    This is common diesel design, it's needed for cooling and lubricating the mechanical stuff and also for warming the fuel.
    A while ago I used the tank pump to drain my tank after a fill up of contaminated fuel, took no time at all. It's quite a big volume flow, certainly faster than your figures.

Fuel supply should be measured in flow from tank before filter, not after, where fuel return is measured.
    Pump from tank pressure should be in the region of 52-75 psi or around 5 bar.
    Also Iv'e never seen a diesel stop dead because of the sulfur issue. The pumps will leak and they'll suffer from bad running long before they give up the ghost.

But keep on keeping on 'ol budy, Cheers Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Hi again
    On your previous posts you said the tank pump puts out 250ml in 15secs, now in my book that is nowhere near enough fuel, you should be looking at considerably more in 15secs. considering that a high percentage of all drawn fuel is returned to the tank after passing through the system.
    This is common diesel design, it's needed for cooling and lubricating the mechanical stuff and also for warming the fuel.
    A while ago I used the tank pump to drain my tank after a fill up of contaminated fuel, took no time at all. It's quite a big volume flow, certainly faster than your figures.

Fuel supply should be measured in flow from tank before filter, not after, where fuel return is measured.
    Pump from tank pressure should be in the region of 52-75 psi or around 5 bar.
    Also Iv'e never seen a diesel stop dead because of the sulfur issue. The pumps will leak and they'll suffer from bad running long before they give up the ghost.

But keep on keeping on 'ol budy, Cheers Tony.
    thanks i don't think my tank pump supplies 52 - 75psi it is more like 5 to 10psi i will check it

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 306frog View Post
    thanks i don't think my tank pump supplies 52 - 75psi it is more like 5 to 10psi i will check it
    That's no way near enough pressure, if so, it's either a flogged pump or a clogged filter. But it won't start. Remember the Hp pump does not have a built in lift pump. My own C5 2Ltr RHZ runs at 52 psi, static+key on.

Cheers.

Fellow Frogger

As we noted early on in your other thread, the manual suggests the car won't run if the tank pump delivers pressure below 0.8Bar.
    1 Bar is about 15psi, so 5-10 psi is not enough.
    If you now have the factory manual info, check the pages on the tank unit and testing the fuel delivery on the LP side.
    To remove the tank unit, the locking ring requires a three pronged tool and it can be a fiddly job.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    As we noted early on in your other thread, the manual suggests the car won't run if the tank pump delivers pressure below 0.8Bar.
    1 Bar is about 15psi, so 5-10 psi is not enough.
    If you now have the factory manual info, check the pages on the tank unit and testing the fuel delivery on the LP side.
    To remove the tank unit, the locking ring requires a three pronged tool and it can be a fiddly job.
    many thanks i hope this the issue.... i will get another electric pump and insert it in the line.

Fellow Frogger!

Gee well done forum , Im hope thats it , I suppose a pump costs a lot ?

I hope the fix is simple.

I'm not sure how much workaround (other than "a lot") would be required to fit a Bosch pumped 1.9 in there and retain Hydractive suspension, ABS and ESP.

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=

I'm not sure how much workaround (other than "a lot") would be required to fit a Bosch pumped 1.9 in there and retain Hydractive suspension, ABS and ESP.[/QUOTE]

Hi
    I am not a person who has shrinked(shrunk ?) from swapping engines and the like in times gone past. However I would not attempt this one ! Due to the intergrated electronics in a C5 and the 'natural' problems they have anyway, expecting that putting an uncommunicating engine in would be easy, seems to be a big ask ! I would expect it to result is a succession of faults logged till you give up

Sorry the computer says NO

Perhaps someone will prove me wrong one day, but they will be a dedicated nerd that's for sure IMHO.
    Jaahn
    shanadoo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

"I am not a person who has shrinked(shrunk ?) from swapping engines"

I couldn't agree more Jaahn, sound advise indeed, but shouldn't that be "shrunked"

Tony.

Thread Information