• Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Club permits

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Club permits

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how far you are allowed to travel on a club permit?

thanks

Warren

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

As far as you desire. Once it's filled in it covers the entire day.

The club permit scheme is the best thing this country has ever done for motoring enthusiasts. Sadly you must now get a roadworthy for any car placed on the scheme..... but hey, the scheme still exists intact which is the only thing that matters

Your CX would be a perfect car for this scheme. I guarantee 45days will be plenty. You don't need 90days while you have other fully registered cars.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    okalford likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I realise they are state based but are the conditions all the same / similar in every state.? I thought it limits you to just group "club" days or specific outings.?
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Quote Originally Posted by CXVingtCinq View Post
    I realise they are state based but are the conditions all the same / similar in every state.? I thought it limits you to just group "club" days or specific outings.?
    Oh ... Victoria... I think NSW is still the same as the previous Victorian scheme which is pointless crap IMO. If I was in NSW I'd have to get rid of my cars, 'cos there permit scheme is crap, and there full registration costs are out of this world expensive (you guys up there must earn way, way, way more than we do down here ).

Every nice day in Victoria is like a state wide classic car run..... It's bloody amazing what you can see on the roads these days in Victoria. The permit scheme has absolutely transformed the classic car scheme down here. I can't emphasize enough how brilliant this scheme is as it actually allows people to DRIVE there own cars whenever they feel like giving them a run!

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I think I will put the CX on club plates. I do not do that much driving anyway. The car can sit in the driveway for several days at a time so, perfect for me

Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    I think I will put the CX on club plates. I do not do that much driving anyway. The car can sit in the driveway for several days at a time so, perfect for me

Thanks Shane
    Go for it We have 6 club permit cars floating around at the moment ..... They hardly ever get driven, but you can take them for a spin whenever you feel like having some fun. Mine haven't turned a wheel for about 2months. I don't see the point in leaving them out in the crappy weather for no reason.

I have here at the moment a couple of ID19's on club permits, the cx turbo, a friends CX2500 5spd GTi 8 seater wagon.... and there's my parents 2cv and Legere waiting for someone to have a ball driving them around

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Yeah, I'll have to look into it a bit more, but here in NSW it is a bit rich as it stands I think. So I have my CX on normal rego and try to make the most of that by taking her for a run as often as possible which is a form of forced enjoyment I guess. Will probably have to look at the economics of it before next rego due date.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I will bring the CX up to Ballarat when I have it Shane - you are going to love the steering!

Re road worthy for older cars in Vic (One year beyond the cutoff point!) Anybody know an understanding RW tester? I defy anyone to stop their L15 to leak some oil after a while !
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    Re road worthy for older cars in Vic (One year beyond the cutoff point!) Anybody know an understanding RW tester? I defy anyone to stop their L15 to leak some oil after a while !
    Something like this is available from Supercheap:

Engine Oil Stop Leak

Dump it after your roadworthy if you insist.................
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Robert at Heka was always very understanding but, unfortunately one of his customers decided to take advantage of him and complained about a RWC that he did for them. Not only did he have to do all the work for free but, he lost his RWC licence...

Fellow Frogger!

"but here in NSW it is a bit rich as it stands I think"
    I had my B15 on full reg for the last few years but as financial situation tightened I put it on club reg this year. Cost was $50 club membership, $50 club permit & $38 ? for pink slip (RWC) You can drive it on club runs & to other events as long as they are mentioned in the club magazine, test drives within 5klm radius & to other events of your preference as long as you notify the club so they can write it in their log book. Comprehensive insurance in this situation is cheap but is anyway with Shannons. When the time comes I think it will go back on full reg this year as I like the freedom of driving when I want to. I understand that the Vic system is now in line with NSW as in requiring a RWC, not club inspections, to get onto club plates ( don't know if that is every year or not) . cheers Dave
    Just a duckin' & a weavin'

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    I will bring the CX up to Ballarat when I have it Shane - you are going to love the steering!
    I've driven and owned them in the past ...... There quite ok on the highway . You buy on condition not specification either way! If you really like it I can donate you the bits to convert it to diravi!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

The Feral Sports Car Club had the old Victorian rules (vehicle use in connection with club runs only) worked out nicely. Every member had access to the club's hotmail account, where the club kept its calendar. All a member had to do was add their planned trip to the calendar, print out the current version (including their trip) and carry it with them. If a member wanted to invite their mates they would give plenty of notice. If a member just wanted to go for a drive themselves they could give two minutes notice. In both cases they had a printed copy of the club's calendar in the car with them, so the run was completely legal.

Roger
    gsmack and okalford like this.

UFO

It was proposed/discussed by the "overarching" and in my opinion, highly politicised, body in NSW, that they move to the Victorian scheme. It was shot down in flames, much to the disappointment of many.

I had my D on historic (restrictive) reg for a few years but it was a frustrating pain in the butt. I put it back on full rego which means I can drive it whenever I want.

You know I think the big fear from CCVMC NSW was that "plastic" cars would be able to be on classic rego.
    addo likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    It was proposed/discussed by the "overarching" and in my opinion, highly politicised, body in NSW, that they move to the Victorian scheme. It was shot down in flames, much to the disappointment of many.

I had my D on historic (restrictive) reg for a few years but it was a frustrating pain in the butt. I put it back on full rego which means I can drive it whenever I want.

You know I think the big fear from CCVMC NSW was that "plastic" cars would be able to be on classic rego.
    Plastic cars? Of course the cars my generation grew up in the back of certainly are not worthy of ever being considered "classic". These old fuddy duddies are the reason the current generation isn't bothering with car clubs at all. There simply not worth wasting our time on. It's sad really, there probably incredibly passionate about old classic cars too.

seeya
    Shane L.
    UFO likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post

They do have valid concerns! The Vic scheme has seen a number of people join car clubs and obtain permits for cars of dubious classic worth. These people can be seen driving around regularly in eighties model Falcons and Commodores displaying Classic permits. Some of these are well maintained but others are quite shabby. I strongly suspect that there are those who see the scheme purely as an economic transport advantage and really have very little interest in cars!
    These people will end up ruining the scheme for every genuine enthusiast!
    Cheers Gerry

i don't think they'll ruin it as such just get fined or canned from whatever club they joined, but certainly there are those who stretch the possibilities on usage, they're not worth 'dobbing in' either as that can backfire on you! Guy up here was belting around in a Merc all day long, brought it up at our club and couldn't even find his membership. I let it go as I figured someone else would drop them in it eventually. Love to see his log book....

If that twisting of opportunity is helping someone recover their position in life, is it appropriate to hinder them?

It would be appropriate if that person abusing the scheme is involved in an accident and is found to be using the car illegally! For one he would be without appropriate TAC insurance. People with disregard for the purposes of the scheme are possibly without regard for the requirements of the log book.
    UFO likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    They do have valid concerns! The Vic scheme has seen a number of people join car clubs and obtain permits for cars of dubious classic worth. These people can be seen driving around regularly in eighties model Falcons and Commodores displaying Classic permits. Some of these are well maintained but others are quite shabby. I strongly suspect that there are those who see the scheme purely as an economic transport advantage and really have very little interest in cars!
    These people will end up ruining the scheme for every genuine enthusiast!
    I dissagree .... These kids grew up in the backseat of those cars. To them there "really old" cars. I see an old commodore these days and think "nice" ..... " I haven't seen one of them on the roads in years".

Battered/Patina is a deliberate look a lot go for. It might not be our cuppa tea, but who are we to say they shouldn't be allowed to use it ( hey, it's the same look as my ID19 ).

I'll start being concerned when I see club permit cars with 2 "space saver" spares on the back ... until then, good on them for getting out and tinkering with old cars. Beats the hell out of taking drugs and playing on mobile devices right

seeya,
    Shane L.
    addo likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    i don't think they'll ruin it as such just get fined or canned from whatever club they joined, but certainly there are those who stretch the possibilities on usage, they're not worth 'dobbing in' either as that can backfire on you! Guy up here was belting around in a Merc all day long, brought it up at our club and couldn't even find his membership. I let it go as I figured someone else would drop them in it eventually. Love to see his log book....
    Why ?? Just because old Commadores aren't what we personally consider "classic cars" .... why shouldn't they. Are they having fun ? Are they enjoying tinkering with the only old cars they can likely afford ? I really don't like this sort of snobbery. I'm sure they WOULD have something that you would consider classic if they had the funds to purchase it. We do NOT want to turn the love of tinkering with old cars into something only wealthy poeple can afford

seeya,
    Shane L.
    gsmack, addo, David M and 2 others like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Well said! Elvis was scandalous and new once...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Why ?? Just because old Commadores aren't what we personally consider "classic cars" .... why shouldn't they. Are they having fun ? Are they enjoying tinkering with the only old cars they can likely afford ? I really don't like this sort of snobbery. I'm sure they WOULD have something that you would consider classic if they had the funds to purchase it. We do NOT want to turn the love of tinkering with old cars into something only wealthy poeple can afford

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I think you are missing the point. There are people out there that are using the scheme purely for transport at cheap registration rates. They consider the Permit to be a form of rego! It is not! They have even taken to filling in the log book and leaving off the date. This, they fill in if they happened to be pulled over.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    I think you are missing the point. There are people out there that are using the scheme purely for transport at cheap registration rates. They consider the Permit to be a form of rego! It is not! They have even taken to filling in the log book and leaving off the date. This, they fill in if they happened to be pulled over.
    These sort of rumours were very prevalent with the previous scheme too. No matter what scheme is in place, there WILL be a tiny (very tiny) minority will always try to take advantage of it.

I figure let the police do the policing, and don't worry about it. These sort of rumors go around and around and around. There is NEVER first hand evidence of it actually happening though. I find it frustrating these rumours continue to circulate.

The bottom line is .... Any 25+ year old car that is on the road on this scheme ..... still exists into the future for people to enjoy, regardless of the circumstances of it's use. For example, say you grew up in the back seat of a VN commadore. In 10years time you go looking for one ....... none left right ? they have all been recycled. The club permit system will allow them to be kept and used into the future. Sure I'll never want one, that doesn't mean that someone that owned one as there first car, will not want to relive there youth in 20years time .... or even right now ... they are after all a 25+ year old car!

It may not be in the spirit of hte scheme. But lets sayin there is even 100 people in Victoria doing this .... There probably close to 50,000 club permit cars now on the roads (just look at what the club plate numbers are up to ).... That's close to 50,000 cars being used and enjoyed within the guidelines of the permit system. Why spread rumours like these and risk having the scheme buggered up for everyone just because there "may" be possibly 0.005% of people using the scheme in a way it wasn't designed for.

If these sorts of rumours do cause changes to the scheme. The only thing it'll do it bugger it up for the people that use the scheme in the way in the way it should be. If there is any scumbags doing the wrong thing .... Guess what ... They still will even if it gets changed !!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 11th August 2015 at 03:37 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information