where to buy seat belts for a ds
  • Register
  • Help

Default where to buy seat belts for a ds

Been looking for some front seat belts preferably in Australia, wondering can some one point me it the right direction

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    Been looking for some front seat belts preferably in Australia, wondering can some one point me it the right direction
    Seat Belt discount for Aussie Frogs members

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

I bought from them and the belts are fine. The stalk they sent was way too short so be careful on that as there was quite a delay getting the right one but happy with the result

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    I bought from them and the belts are fine. The stalk they sent was way too short so be careful on that as there was quite a delay getting the right one but happy with the result
    As mentioned in the linked thread, I sent pics and measurements, nothing was too much trouble and mine were delivered as ordered next day.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    Hi Balki
    I bought front seat belts for my D from Seat Safe on 3/2/2014

DetailS:
    Item 1600005 Seat Belt IR 90/90 RH x 2 $174.91 Stock Loc MD21 Floor
    Item 1766047 Buckle Cable Stalk 500 mm 45 deg LH $38
    Item 1766048 Buckle Cable Stalk 500 mm 45 deg RH $38

Ph 07 3137 0044

Hope this helps. Cheers. Kevin

great thanks for the replies i better get some

without throwing a spanner in to Chris's suggestions, the bloke at Klippan in Queensland put me onto Repco for my front belts, they were about $130 each I think, walk in walk out, always worth phoning them first to check stock but you can get specs off Klippan pdf on their website, I think he said there's basically one manufacturer in Australia, Melbourne? Very nice bloke and very happy to offer advice, a rare quality these days. Anyway if you haven't removed the old ones yet be VERY patient and gentle taking out the lower sill bolts below the B pillar, the lowest horizontal ones especially, they could be seized in and they are not very friendly in my experience, plenty of back and forth winding out and WD.

Fellow Frogger!

I just purchased two front seat belt sets (locking retractable etc) from CitroServices srl (www.citroservices.com) at 45euro each. Total cost for the pair with shipping was 145euro. Yet to fit them, but they look right!

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    I just purchased two front seat belt sets (locking retractable etc) from CitroServices srl (www.citroservices.com) at 45euro each. Total cost for the pair with shipping was 145euro. Yet to fit them, but they look right!
    That's fine until some smart inspector checks for the AS marking, which anything imported will not have. I'm sure they are fine, but you may get caught out at some point.

The Klippan option works, but even their longest stalk (suits old Falcons) may be a bit short and you'd want to extend it maybe 6 inches at the mounting. Decent flat bar is probably OK, given the belts are only a strong as the floorpan they bolts to. You can also buy a right angle mount to fit the roller to the top of the sill in the correct orientation. Sadly, not very pretty, but effective. I can't recall if the bolts in the kit were metric or not, which is a possible wrinkle to consider.

The original fitting here seems to have often been a looong stalk with "Rainsfords" on the buckle. If you still have them and it's just the belt that has frayed, you could consider sending them off to have just the webbing replaced. That means you can also choose a colour other than black.

p.s. If you are removing rear 3-point belts from a sedan, having the mount come out with the bolt will let you know it's time to address the rust in the wheelarch and c-pillar!
    Last edited by David S; 7th August 2015 at 05:41 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I hadn't thought of the AS. Hmm. The reason I bought new sets was because the original had frayed and the retracting mechanism was worn.

I fitted them today. Mixed eyes results. One works fine (driver side, fortunately). The other is "stuck" closed with the retracting mechanism. The instructions suggested I "tap" the side of the mechanism, presumably to loosen it. It worked with one set, and not the other. I pulled the cover off and checked the wheel and hammer, but it is still retracting but not extending.

Very frustrating...

Fellow Frogger

The rollers need to be mounted almost exactly the right way up as even a small angle will cause them to lock. You might also try jolting the belt and see if that frees it.

It's unlikely to be an issue now, but I had a car ex-UK and the Kangol retracting belts would correctly lock under heavy braking but not when the belt was simply pulled and the car was not actually underway and decelerating. They were to BS of the early 1970's, but not strictly legal here for that reason. Most testers will pull hard on the belts to ensure they lock as expected. If it doesn't, it would fail.

my safari didnt come with retractable seat belts, its a 72 model, im fitting the retractor ontop of the sill otherwise the back seat wont fold down

I hadn't thought of the AS. Hmm. The reason I bought new sets was because the original had frayed and the retracting mechanism was worn.

I fitted them today. Mixed eyes results. One works fine (driver side, fortunately). The other is "stuck" closed with the retracting mechanism. The instructions suggested I "tap" the side of the mechanism, presumably to loosen it. It worked with one set, and not the other. I pulled the cover off and checked the wheel and hammer, but it is still retracting but not extending.

Very frustrating...
    Hold it near some metal. There is a magnet that will unlock it.

Fellow Frogger!

Successfully installed today. The trick (obvious in retrospect and with the advice above) was to install the retracting mechanism rollers the right way up first, and then slowly draw out the belt at the right angle (straight up) before installing the top bolt. After that it was simple. The belts lock well when pulled sharply, and it is nice having them retract quickly and noiselessly...!

Fellow Frogger!

Successfully installed today. The trick (obvious in retrospect and with the advice above) was to install the retracting mechanism rollers the right way up first, and then slowly draw out the belt at the right angle (straight up) before installing the top bolt. After that it was simple. The belts lock well when pulled sharply, and it is nice having them retract quickly and noiselessly...!

Glad that your problem is solved, but another bit of info. may be worth adding for the benefit of others.

If you have the original mounts/retractor etc the belt can be re-webbed. I investigated this for current resto. as was thinking of changing belt colour. Decided not to so can't speak for the quality, but the guy came highly recommended and was certainly very helpful in giving advice.

May be useful for those who want all original but who don't want to trust their expensive dental work to 40-50 yo webbing.

Seat Belt King
    Macbeth st ( off Malcolm Rd )
    Braeside
    Vic

Regards

Andrew

Thats all good till you have a bingle and find out the rest of it wasn't up to the situation?

Any suggestions for the CX?

I tried a new set from Hemco but their reels are too big to fit into the recess.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Thread Information