• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: CX dashboard LHM level gauge

Default CX dashboard LHM level gauge

Hi

Advertisement

I bought a new dashboard LHM level gauge for my series 1 CX but because previous owner removes it`s piping completely I don`t know that where those two pipe must go and they must connected to where. so if anyone have any pics or manuals it can help.

Cheers

On the rear lower face of the engine block between the dip stick tube and the flywheel end of the engine is another screwed plug just like the base of the dip stick tube BUT it has two metal 3mm dia. pipes coming from it. The two rubber tubes from the oil level guage connect to these two metal tubes! Seek and Ye Shall Find!
    Cheers Gerry

And as Gerry implies, the gauge shows engine oil level, not LHM level.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - current project.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Can't wait to start work on it.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Has anyone ever seen a working one ? I tried once until it I worked out the entire dash needed to be removed in order to access the small dash pocket and gauge
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a working one ? I tried once until it I worked out the entire dash needed to be removed in order to access the small dash pocket and gauge
    Mine worked in my Prestige, but reality is I regarded it as a gimmick. They only work when the ignition is initially turned on and reset to zero once the engine is running. Better to use the dipstick where you can see the condition of oil as well as level.

Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    And as Gerry implies, the gauge shows engine oil level, not LHM level.
    Actually you fill the sight glass that is employed on the early versions of these with LHM. It gives a nice pretty green light when the ignition is turned on. To operate it one needs to turn ignition on so that the globe illuminates and then press the plunger button to apply pressure via an internal rubber squeeze bulb. The pressure is forced down one of the tubes to the sump and attempts to move the oil level in the tube immersed into the sump. The pressure then goes back to the other rubber tube and back to the sight gauge so that the LHM in the sight gauge moves correspondingly. It can then be compared to the fixed mark (white line) on the sight gauge to ascertain the oil level.
    All very simple really in theory! NOT------ The challenge is to put just the correct amount of LHM in the Gauge and then to adjust it so that the level corresponds to the sighting mark when there is a known accurate full sump level of oil. To determine this condition one of course uses the dip stick. So this now beggars the question "Why not use the Dip Stick in the first place???????"I did not bother with the rigmarole of setting all of this up.
    GreenBlood and JohnW like this.
    Cheers Gerry

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

It must be there in case the sump falls of Gerry

Thanks to all

Thanks Gerry, I found it, I guess I must use two longer pipes between original gauge pipes and the engine.

In the service manual says that we must fill it with LHM and because of this I thinking wrong that it is LHM level gauge, So they are using LHM only on gauge to using its Green neon color?!!, very unusual and fantastic.

Cheers

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    It must be there in case the sump falls of Gerry
    It's not a continuous readout. You have to depress a button which acts much as one of those old rubber bulb windshield washers. The idiot light does a better job of alerting you to imminent disaster.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houtan View Post
    Thanks to all

Thanks Gerry, I found it, I guess I must use two longer pipes between original gauge pipes and the engine.

In the service manual says that we must fill it with LHM and because of this I thinking wrong that it is LHM level gauge, So they are using LHM only on gauge to using its Green neon color?!!, very unusual and fantastic.

Cheers
    Yah, I think the factory went with LHM for the level gauge because, Citroen. It was weird and they could do it.

Your LHM gauge is on the tank itself. A simple yellow plastic float in a clear plastic bubble.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Houtan, in all my cx's none worked and never bothered to fix them,i just checked the dipstick,a failsafe option.

Good luck, Houtan. None of mine have ever worked either. If you succeed, let us know and you will get a well-deserved cheer from us all!
    Hotrodelectric and JohnW like this.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - current project.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Can't wait to start work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Good luck, Houtan. None of mine have ever worked either. If you succeed, let us know and you will get a well-deserved cheer from us all!
    Apparently Haynes covered this. . .
    I still regard the gauge as a gimmick and not to be relied upon

How do you get the oil level gauge to work? Jim A 2002-08-19 CX 2500D -79. How do you get the oil level gauge (looks like a clear thermometer, to the left of the steering wheel) to work?

Paul R: The oil level gauge you have is difficult to get just right, if it will work at all. The gauge is filled with LHM, I've put the instructions from the Haynes manual below.
    1. Remove the map pocket and oil gauge bracket.
    2. Disconnect the tube from the top of the gauge.
    3. Fully unscrew the adjustment screw on the front of the gauge. You can see where it is acting inside the gauge)
    4. With the gauge horizontal, pour LHM fluid through the filler orifice until it reaches the minimum mark on the indicator. (This is the usual manual understatement of the task. I use a hypodermic syringe to get the fluid in to gauge, works very well.)
    5. Connect the tube to the top of the gauge, then regit the gauge and map pocket.
    6. Check the oil level using the engine dipstick. The car must be parked on level ground.
    7. Fully depress the gauge knob and adjust the screw so that the indicated level is identical to the actual level on the engine dipstick.
    8. Release the knob and check that the LHM fluid falls below the minimum mark.
    You'll notice a small bulb that is squeezed when the knob is pushed in. This bulb frequently takes a 'set' in its shape making it difficult to get the gauge to work properly. And in great manual fashion again they fail to tell you to put the bracket and map pocket back together! If I remember correctly the steering wheel must be removed, the cover over the steering unit removed (dropped down) and then the entire unit remaining is taken down. There are bolts passing straight up into the engine bay, you'll have to get at them with the spare removed and possibly you'll have to move the LHM reservoir. It has been a while, so I am not absolutely certain of all the details.
    Carter W: It works only with the key on and the engine off. As soon as you start the engine it doesn't work.

Mekartips Citroën CX - Motorolja
    JohnW likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Hi everyone,

I removed the whole dashboard for restore it`s flock color and it is best time to try to fix the dashboard oil level gauge. the oil tubes seems OK but I don`t know the right place of each tube, When I opened dashboard I saw tubes are not connected to the back of gauge knob and I don`t know the right place of those three tubes back of this knob.

Anyone have a picture from a manual or from this part on a car that shows the right place of those tubes?

Cheers.

Hi Guys,

I didn't bother to read all the replies in detail about the gauges, but here is all you need to know about early CX oil level gauges:

They never worked for long from brand new

This is the history and why they were fitted.

The oil level gauge was originally developed for the GS Birotor, as its engine used small amounts of engine oil, added to the fuel, to lubricate the rotor tip seals.

The gauge was fitted at the front of the centre console, and supposedly "If It Worked" you could easily monitor the engine oil level.

When the Birotor sold is so few numbers, Citroen obviously had huge stocks of unused gauges, and some bright spark at the factory decided to fit them to the CX and use them up.

The amount of time wasted by mechanics at both Citco & Bryson's trying to get them to work was endless. You could get them to work in the workshop, give them back to the customer, and the gauge would be back on the list of things to fix next service.

In the end the customers were told it wasn't ever going to work. Citroen France didn't want to know about them.

So........... If you've got nothing to do for the rest of your life, and want to have a CX with everything working, then all I can say is: GOOD LUCK!

And then later: I TOLD YOU SO!

ROFLOL

Best regards,

Greg
    UFO and JohnW like this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

Thanks Greg for the history of this part.

I just want to everything be in right place.

Restoring some parts in classic cars are really crazy. In fact it means restoring company`s faults.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hi Guys,

I didn't bother to read all the replies in detail about the gauges, but here is all you need to know about early CX oil level gauges:

They never worked for long from brand new

This is the history and why they were fitted.

The oil level gauge was originally developed for the GS Birotor, as its engine used small amounts of engine oil, added to the fuel, to lubricate the rotor tip seals.
    The explanation of the oil level gauge on the CX as leftovers from the GS Birotor is illuminating but doesn't explain why they were carried over to the XM. While the XM gauge seems to work properly, all it's ever done for me is cause confusion and panic when the car has been borrowed. I've had desperate phone calls: "I just turned the engine on. One of the gauges lit up, shot up to 'Max,' but now it's below 'Min' and it's dark. Should I call the RACV?"

Quote Originally Posted by Houtan View Post
    Thanks Greg for the history of this part. I just want to everything be in right place. Restoring some parts in classic cars are really crazy. In fact it means restoring company`s faults.
    I think we'd all give you permission to leave that particular gauge unrestored. There's enough to worry about on a CX without something that didn't ever work properly!

Great to get your news on the car from time to time.

Regards
    Greg, Vincenzo and UFO like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Default CX dashboard LHM level gauge

Good point John! I did find a YouTube video and it featured a CX and it showed footage of the oil level gauge actually working !!!

It must have been literally new from the factory...

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

1000+ Posts

I have a cx25ieauto and the gauge works,lol. Andy.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You guys are talking about the later electronic gauge fitted to the BX 16valve and later CX models. It can be a combo gauge as it is electronic. Eg: if you find a CX turbo with a working gauge (Hah! good luck with that). When you turn the ignition on, for a set period of time it'll show the oil level. Once you start the car, it becomes an oil pressure gauge.

Very different the the oil filled level in the early CX's.... But pretty much just as reliable!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Greg and JohnW like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

There is some explanation about why those gauges never working for long time, It`s not because of design faults. it is because of technology that they used in 70`s for this system, This gauge used vacuum tubing system for working and they use the normal vacuum tubes that they had in 70`s in Automotive production system and vacuum connectors that was usual at that times and this parts are the problem, This vacuum tubes at first time are soft and good and can save vacuum and because of that this gauge was working OK at the first years of the production of CXs, But after some years this tubes becomes hard because of engine heats in engine bay or weather etc,.. and after they becomes hard they can`t save vacuum and leaking vacuum from their connectors or from cracks on tubes itself, so if this happens the gauge can`t work because they work with close vacuum system.

Finding durable vacuum tubes that can handle heat is easy todays and if we change all vacuum tubes and secure vacuum connectors with special adhesive and of course if the vacuum button works this gauge will work for long time.

It takes some times from me but it will be work at the end!!

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I think we'd all give you permission to leave that particular gauge unrestored. There's enough to worry about on a CX without something that didn't ever work properly!

Great to get your news on the car from time to time.

Regards
    Thanks John, Yes there is many other important things for fixing specially that unusual hand brake system, when I look at brilliant hand brake system on Xantia I can`t understand that why they design it like this on CX.

Default Early CX oil level gauges never worked for long when the cars were brand new

Hi Guys,

Some of you are very hard to convince!

I worked as a mechanic on brand new CX's, and the gauges never worked for long when the cars were brand new!

Now once more for the dummies: They never worked for long when the cars were brand new!

It has nothing to do with the rubber hoses. Its a design fault.

You could get it to work at pre-delivery, and it would be on the list from the owner at the first service. You would re-prime it and it would then be on the list at the following service.

As the warranty was only 12 months, the owner was told they don't work!

Unless someone wants to go to the trouble of setting up test rig, and attempting to find where the fault lies, just ignore the gauge.

There were numerous technical bulletins from Citroen about the problem, but nothing ever fixed it, and if Citroen couldn't fix it, I don't think you have much chance?

The fact that on later Citroens went to an electronic gauge I think says it all?

Best regards,

Greg
    UFO and JohnW like this.
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

UFO

Greg,

Here is a device we use at work sometimes.

Enlarge image below ensuring it covers whole screen
    Apply head to image rapidly and repeatedly

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information