• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Ya gotta love it

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Ya gotta love it

If you want to change the spark plugs on a 3.0 24 valve v6...... you have to remove the inlet manifold

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    If you want to change the spark plugs on a 3.0 24 valve v6...... you have to remove the inlet manifold
    Sadly, it's pretty standard on tightly squeezed in V6s.

Nearly had the same issue on my V6 1MZFE engined toyota van, in fact it probably would have easier to do as suggested and remove the rear manifold.. Instead I persevered with a multitude of sockets and wobbly joints. The time and angst probably made it a pyrrhic victory.

I heard recently that changing the alternator on one of those V6 engines is an 8-hour job. Lucky they usually last a while...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I heard recently that changing the alternator on one of those V6 engines is an 8-hour job. Lucky they usually last a while...
    Not on a 1MZFE. The starter and alternator/ steer pump aircon compressor are accessible via removeable cover under the front guard. You need to remove the road wheel.

No so the friggin oil filter which is located front centre of the engine behind the radiator. You need to be a spastic dwarf with ball jointed knuckles to reach it.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    You need to be a spastic dwarf with ball jointed knuckles to reach it.
    They oughta make a socket extension for that ...

The closest I can think of is a 3/8" drive Snap-on extension with two uni joints in it. Might that work?

Roger

Old news.

If you want to change or even adjust the points in a DS19 you have to remove the inlet manifold.

Roger
    addo likes this.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Well Roger, at least they are consistent...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    They oughta make a socket extension for that ...

The closest I can think of is a 3/8" drive Snap-on extension with two uni joints in it. Might that work?

Roger
    Attaching to the oil filter is the issue. I wrapped a chain with a bolt to lock it. The pulled one end to loosen it.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

At least it isn't a Chevy Monza V8. On those you had to do a partial pull of the motor to get at the rearmost two plugs. That meant pulling a lot of pieces from a rather tight engine bay, then demounting the engine and jacking it up and towards the front just to do a tune up. Winning!!
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

VW beetles were great - 2 cables, one hose 4 electrical cables, 4 sheet metal screw and 4 bolts. in 1/2 an hour, you could wheel the engine out on a jack and do anything that needed doing
    Hotrodelectric and pug206gti like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Removing the inlet manifold is a basic activity
    I don't know about the other v6s but the PSA is really easy takes less than 15 minutes
    The screws on the rear are a little fiddly but my athritic digits can do it
    Fit long life Platinum types then you don't have to do it to often

Fellow Frogger!

VW beetles were great - 2 cables, one hose 4 electrical cables, 4 sheet metal screw and 4 bolts. in 1/2 an hour, you could wheel the engine out on a jack and do anything that needed doing
    Absolutely!!! Such a great design.....lots of good memories of my '69 Kombi coming back now. No water pumps or timing chains to worry about....wonderfully simple and simply wonderful. And bloody marvellous at the drive-in too......
    almostfrench likes this.

I'd wager doing the heads on a W-format VAG engine to be a shade higher in the "Haynes Spanners" count than a set of ES9 plugs. The multiple timing chains on an Ecotec with dual VVT (I&E) are a head-bender.

The real question is, were the cam cover gaskets leaking oil into the plug wells?

Icon6

G'day,
    to replace the head gaskets on a 1972 Subaru gsr, the engine has to be lifted out. Luckily it is not too heavy.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

But seriously, Warren, if you really wanted one of those you'd have one. Not the greatest car on the road. The heater was an air chamber fitted around the exhaust pipe. Every time you turn on the heater you get a disgusting exhaust smell coming into the car. And these were notorious for the rear seat springs shorting the battery contacts and the car catching fire.
    Nice car otherwise.

JBN

I have to remove the front mudguards to change the spark plugs on my 2CV.

They only have two spark plugs, presumably because they only have two front mudguards.

John

Hi John,
    just as well they don't have 3 front wheels, otherwise you'd have to remove a third front guard and buy a third spark plug.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

that's nothing ,... you haven't lived until you removed a heater box from an xm. Would it make you feel better if I said it took me 1/2hour to change 8 spark plugs last night ? ...

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I was actually using the manual to help me hunt down a light petrol leak (The reason it cuts out after a minute or 2 every morning) and I happened to read it - I have no plans at this stage to change the plugs, the engine is running sweet. Isn't even any water in the combustion chambers (Don't even think about it Shane... )

I just noticed that the forum has an XM appreciation society. This should make for some interesting reading.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Well, I just had a look at the XM appreciation society thread. Once everything is fixed (and it will get fixed Shane - unless of course it is a cyclical kind of arrangement - get everything sorted, sit down for a cup of coffee then start over again) I might paint it burgandy and fit it with C6 wheels

JBN

Remember that the XM Appreciation Society consists mainly of those of us who like to hear that someone else is having MORE grief with their Citroen model (XM) than we are having with ours.

Honestly, who hasn't been brought to tears (of mirth) when Shane has been brought to tears (of grief) with his XM sagas? Its the stuff of legends up there with the search for the Holy Grail.

XM is a French abbreviation for Xtra Masochistic.

John

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Remember that the XM Appreciation Society consists mainly of those of us who like to hear that someone else is having MORE grief with their Citroen model (XM) than we are having with ours.

Honestly, who hasn't been brought to tears (of mirth) when Shane has been brought to tears (of grief) with his XM sagas? Its the stuff of legends up there with the search for the Holy Grail.

XM is a French abbreviation for Xtra Masochistic.

John
    It's all a matter of perspective. Everyone needs to own an XM for a short time .... Before they sell/give it away in glee (before there tempted to burn it to get it out of there shed) and return to owning only proper pre-PSA Citroens. You see, everything that used to seem difficult and fiddly on a CX/DS/2cv/traction/etc .... Is just so laughably simple and enjoyable after owning an XM.

DS starter motors ?? simple, peice of cake .... CX lower suspension bushes.... Dead easy ... Downright enjoyable even. anything is easy after the frustration of working on an XM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Very true shane - I was once scared of the electrics on a CX - now it is a doddle
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

You are all a mob of sooks,i have found my xm is ok to work on,but then bugger all goes wrong with it,only a ignition module in the last year.though would not like to remove a heater box,but that goes for most cars.
    Had a heater matrix leak and old out and new in in under a hour a few years ago.
    it is used as a daily driver so it has to be reliable so no complaints.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    that's nothing ,... you haven't lived until you removed a heater box from an xm. Would it make you feel better if I said it took me 1/2hour to change 8 spark plugs last night ? ...

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Was the engine still installed?
    JohnW and WRB like this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information