Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By lamoor
  • 2 Post By kpac
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 2 Post By lamoor

Thread: C4 as a daily

Default C4 as a daily

hi all
    just purchased a 07 C4 VTS in excellent log booked condition 97K for use as a daily driver. metallic black with glass roof and bells and whistles etc.
    nice style of a car for a compact or not so compact sports hatch.

any thoughts good or bad or what to look out for will be appreciated as i have had mainly D, GS etc so this is my first so called modern unit. i know it will be a bugger to keep clean.

Advertisement

thanks
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Tadpole

Timing belt is a common big money item.
    They're a good car though. I prefer the sedan/hatch. But sadly that's moved on. The diesel was stupidly economical.
    Jinandfonic and UFO like this.

1000+ Posts

Make sure you have cover for the glass roof. They are a$tronomically dear.
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Hi lamoor,

We have had a C4 VTS since we bought it new in 2008. It has all the high spec equipment, including directional bi-xenon headlamps, but not the panoramic roof. It was sold, and has been serviced since new, by Continental Cars.

It has been a daily drive since new. It is a great car, fun to drive around town and on long trips, economical, and reliable. The only problems in seven years have been a leaking water pump, which was replaced, and the brake lights mysteriously failing recently. Both problems were quickly sorted out. The car intentionally has a firm suspension, as it is a "sports" model, and it handles superbly, with the trade-off that the ride is on the firm side - but quite acceptable. It also looks terrific.

The seats are great, and there is as much room in the back seat as in the sedan. Performance with the 2litre petrol engine is excellent, although I would prefer a 6 speed gearbox, or a higher final drive ratio in 5th on the present gearbox, as the powerful engine is quite unnecessarily busy at motorway cruising speeds.

I hope you enjoy the C4 VTS as much as we do.

RobL.

Default C$ as a daily

Quote Originally Posted by RobL View Post
    Hi lamoor,

We have had a C4 VTS since we bought it new in 2008. It has all the high spec equipment, including directional bi-xenon headlamps, but not the panoramic roof. It was sold, and has been serviced since new, by Continental Cars.

It has been a daily drive since new. It is a great car, fun to drive around town and on long trips, economical, and reliable. The only problems in seven years have been a leaking water pump, which was replaced, and the brake lights mysteriously failing recently. Both problems were quickly sorted out. The car intentionally has a firm suspension, as it is a "sports" model, and it handles superbly, with the trade-off that the ride is on the firm side - but quite acceptable. It also looks terrific.

The seats are great, and there is as much room in the back seat as in the sedan. Performance with the 2litre petrol engine is excellent, although I would prefer a 6 speed gearbox, or a higher final drive ratio in 5th on the present gearbox, as the powerful engine is quite unnecessarily busy at motorway cruising speeds.

I hope you enjoy the C4 VTS as much as we do.

RobL.
    thanks everyone for the heads up. i have to admit a stupid error on my part. it is a VTR. the glass roof did not help as i thought that only the VTS came with this option. however wanting a low cost car as a daily i am not fussed as it does appear to have some options. i have not had the registration transferred as yet being from melbourne so will do this, this week and have it for the week end. looking forward to a long drive to get used to it. from what people have told me it seem to have a good combination of style function and practicality and this will be fine for me. its about as citroenesque >> as it can be for a mod daily. better look than the current one in my opinion.
    thanks again people and please keep further comments coming.

Default C4 as a daily

since my last post, i have registered the C4 and it has been a good experience, the car is modern, good visibility all round smooth and in exceptional condition. one point to note if anyone has had the same experience. i went to the NSW RMS | new south wales roads authority | to do the transfer.
    i was surprised that i was charged stamp duty on the GST and the transport cost from Melbourne to Sydney. when i tried to argue the point they went to the computer and said, yep that right you pay for the lot. it seem strange and a bit deceitful that one has to pay a tax on a tax and also on transport. they may argue that its NOT a tax its a stamp duty. but hey it all ends up where ? if i ever do this in the future the transport will be left off the transaction notice. if i drove it from Melbourne -NO SD - go figure !
    anyway all thats behind me now as i get to know the daily drive. i know that pic of C4 are not the same as a D but anyway for heck of it i took some happys - cant upload because the files size seem too large. help?

1000+ Posts

Convert the images to JPG with high compression. The software will depend on your system (some may have something by default), but I use Imagemagick convert ImageMagick: Convert, Edit, Or Compose Bitmap Images, which is extremely powerful, free, and runs on most operating systems.

i am lost, man no way can i do that,is there a simpler way to reduce the file size?

1000+ Posts

Converting huge camera images to smaller JPG for emailing is a very common problem, and most systems can do it. So - what is your operating system, and what format are your photos in? Every conceivable system is used by the AF community, and someone will know.

This Luddite discovered that by opening the image in "paint", instead of the usual image viewer, one can easily reduce it dramatically by editing the pixel size. Just knock a nought off the image in the pixel option (automatically horizontal and vertical) and the image is, hey presto, about 5% of its former size.
    I still haven't figured out how to post a "full size" image ( i,e, one you don't have to "open") on this forum though. Any help would be appreciated ; )

1000+ Posts

If you have imagemagick - a free download - the terminal/DOS prompt command convert -quality X% source.fil result.fil will do the trick. Here is one I just did, a bridge in northern NSW where a 1.0 MB PNG file was converted to a 73 kB JPG file at 50% quality, suitable for uploading.
    convert -
    quality 50% bridge4.png bridge-reduced.jpg C4 as a daily-scrshot.jpg

A common problem, and there are lots of solutions. Changing image pixel size isn't often optimum. Even if I use 80% in the above, the image is only 124kB, well within AF limits. If I drop the quality argument and use default (92%), it's still only 144 kB.
    Last edited by seasink; 16th August 2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added default

Default C4 as a daily

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Converting huge camera images to smaller JPG for emailing is a very common problem, and most systems can do it. So - what is your operating system, and what format are your photos in? Every conceivable system is used by the AF community, and someone will know.
    this thread has lost its direction because of my inability to reduce file size. using MAC iOS
    format .JPG shot on lumix LX4

file starts to load then quits - i imagine because its too large 3.48MB each pic

1000+ Posts

I think you'll find iPhoto can help. Go to Export, file, and under Quality select how much to use. File size shrinks markedly under 80%. AF doesn't like files that reach MB size.

Default C4 as a daily

seasink - genius thanks it worked, learn each day !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C4 as a daily-1.jpg   C4 as a daily-8.jpg   C4 as a daily-11.jpg   C4 as a daily-16.jpg   C4 as a daily-17.jpg   C4 as a daily-20.jpg  

C4 as a daily-22.jpg   C4 as a daily-29.jpg   C4 as a daily-30.jpg  
    seasink and Jinandfonic like this.

1000+ Posts

That is a very nice car.

Fellow Frogger!

Lamoor our c4 had a plastic insulated pice that kept falling down at base of windscreen. I chocked up in the end as it was out of warranty. Mine had a few things go eg instrument panel with odometer becoming just a dash that did nothing. Mine was a 2.0 petrol auto and I found it to be quite thirsty. Chris M

Default C4 as a Daily

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Lamoor our c4 had a plastic insulated pice that kept falling down at base of windscreen. I chocked up in the end as it was out of warranty. Mine had a few things go eg instrument panel with odometer becoming just a dash that did nothing. Mine was a 2.0 petrol auto and I found it to be quite thirsty. Chris M
    Hi Chris
    i have not had a bad experience so far, however time may tell. the centre LCD has a faulty reading meaning that some of the horizontal bars don't display. these don't really impact and you can make sense of the date etc, its the second line in the display. annoying only. i may look for second hand one from wreckers and see if worth the install.
    the 1.6 seems to be reasonable for fuel and power, i don't really have to race or go fast anywhere so it suits my drive style. these days all cars have acres of plastic that are moulded and the C4 is no exception, when i got delivery of the car i had to fix the top cover on the drivers rear view mirror as a small fixing lug has snapped off. i am enjoying the car each day as it is different from the normal hatches and considering its a 07 still looks unique.

Thread Information