Xantia CT hydraulic clutch trouble
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia CT hydraulic clutch trouble

Just had the clutch replaced in the Xantia CT turbo (1997). Clutch was fine for approx 100 km. The clutch pedal became heavy then the pedal went to the floor and stayed there. Managed to drive home in 2nd gear.
    What fluid is in the sealed hydraulic clutch ? LHM or brake fluid.
    How do you bleed an Xantia CT turbo clutch?
    Any help appreciated.

Advertisement

It's DOT4.

I've only looked cursorily at one, it didn't seem a massive stretch to replace it with a generic slave on bracket, and then adapt your fluid feed accordingly.

Icon6

Are you sure you havn't just pulled the throwout bearing back out of the pressure plate? If it wasn't inserted properly after the gearbox was replaced, that could happen. This is the way the original clutch in my Activa failed after 280kkm.

If you search the Activa forum on French Car Forum in the UK, there are some posts about re-bleeding the clutch circuit - its pretty tricky. I did see a replacement system for sale on ebay UK and was very tempted to get a spare but I did not in the end - it might be still around.

I'm sorta dreading the hydraulic actuation system failing on my car at some stage in the future.

I you don't know what I mean or want more ideas on how to check on my failure suggestion, just post questions here or PM me.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Last edited by Ken W; 31st July 2015 at 12:51 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

The clutch is self bleeding
    The reservoir is this little thing tucked up the back of the engine bay
    It holds very little fluid which is just ordinary brake fluid
    It appears to be sealed but you can pry off the lid with no damage
    You need a suitable tube and funnel to top it up
    Takes very little to go from low to full
    Bleed it by pumping slowly probably 20 or 30 times
    When hydraulics have returned enough to use clutch drive it and in a few hours or driving all air will bleed out
    The whole line master to slave is one unit and the gurus say you replace it
    I did the above to a CT 10 years ago and it still has hydraulics
    The problem is probably the reservoir is just to small to accommodate anything but initial conditions

Fellow Frogger!

Looks like the CT hydraulic clutch uses brake fluid. Bled it with LHM and now all the seals are ruined. Anyone know whether a seal kit is available. Have tried European Auto care, Martin Bray and ebay with no luck.

Sorry to hear that. There was a response to your post within 7 minutes that said brake fluid was what was required. I think you need to try to find out where a CT turbo or Activa is being wrecked.

I am positive you will find one in the UK. Ask Handyman (he is also a member here) or "citroenxm" on French Car Forum. I expect to have a parcel leaving Kent in about seven days, it would be possible to include anything small that's been fully drained and dried out.

While I'm at it, you should look at a decoupling mod, and possibility of a remote reservoir. Then you have a more future-proof item.

Oscaro have the master and slave for LHD cars in aftermarket items. Under forty Euro the pair. You just need someone in France to pity you...
    Last edited by addo; 4th August 2015 at 04:56 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I could not find a "kit" for the hydraulic clutch
    About 10 years ago
    Why put LHM in it?
    It's just a standard hydraulic clutch
    Albeit a sealed one piece unit

Fellow Frogger!

"There was a response to your post within 7 minutes that said brake fluid was what was required."
    Clutch had been bled with LHM before I made the post. It seems strange that a car that uses LHM for brakes and power steering would use brake fluid only for the clutch. But there you go, its French.
    I had always believed brake fluid was forbidden in any pre C5 cit. After some inquiries it appears there is divided opinion as to whether LHM or brake fluid should be used in clutch master slave cylinders. I think the point is whichever is used originally, the problem comes if you mix them like we did.

Fellow Frogger!

It's not part of LHM hydraulic circuit
    The reservoir cap is quite tricky to find and get off so who on earth put LHM in there
    My question is "are you sure?"

a sniff would have done the trick.

Thread Information