Best tyres for C5 X7
  • Register
  • Help

Default Best tyres for C5 X7

Hi Everyone

I am going to have to get new tyres soon, & wanted opinions on the best tyres available to purchase.

Cheers

Advertisement

Lean

1000+ Posts

Michelin Primacy HP 225/55 R17 are originals, but I don't think the size can be got any more. Michelin recommend Primacy 3 ST.

Hi Lean,

Just put four new Michelin Primacy 3st tyres onto my car. Very impressed with quiet, more compliant ride (compared with worn out original primacy HPs) but they get quite responsive and and grippy when called on in a corner. I havn't pushed them into slip or squeal mode yet. They are vastly better than the Primacy LC tyres that I have tried in the interim.

Cheers,

Ken W

Fogot to say the size 245/45 R18

I looked at cheaper alternatives, but decided on the Primacy 3STs too for two new tyres recently. I like the quiet and the comfort. Interesting that the 17'' rims take the 55 profile (225 width), and the 18" the 45 profile (245 width) so that the overall wheel diameter with a tyre on is 5mm smaller for the larger rim, but wider tread and I suppose a sportier slightly stiffer ride.

1000+ Posts

245/45R18 doesn't give you so much choice for exact size. Michelin's have the Pilot Sport, and they aren't cheap.

1000+ Posts

Have a look at this lot! 42 brands in that size, including China's finest - https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/si...5r18?limit=100

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I put Continental Comfort (conticomfort) tyres on my C5 wagon and they were so much better than the Primacys' it came with.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leanmor View Post
    Hi Everyone

I am going to have to get new tyres soon, & wanted opinions on the best tyres available to purchase.

Cheers

Lean
    'Best' is a tad vague; tyres have a spread of performance variables & these variables conflict such that, for a tyre to be good in one thing will be at the expense of trading off performance of some other sort. So, want low rolling resistance for fuel economy? - the cost is less wet grip. Want extremely crisp & responsive handling? - the cost is less comfort. . . . . & so on. So, some account of your priorities would help.

In the meantime, I'll assume that your top priority is wet grip, particularly under braking & that, given the C5 suspension, comfort is not going to much be a tyre task & thus crispening response could well be a priority worth trading off some tyre comfort for. I'll further assume that, were you to ever transgress the grip limits of the tyres, you'd want limit behaviour to be benign, not "snappy".

That leads me to a shortlist of 3 (none of which is a Primacy).

These are:

- Continental SportContact 5
    - Michelin PilotSport PS3 &
    - Bridgestone Adrenalin RE003

The oldest tyre of these is the PS3 & the newest the RE003. Any of these would suit the above assumed priorities with the SC5 being the best wet tyre & the RE003 being the crispest with the PS3 in between on each. Most limit-benign is likely the SC5. Choice might well aptly be "best deal" driven.

Most of the magazine tests are European & the RE003 is unlikely to be released there & is too new for tests yet anyway. It was well received by Australian "bloggers" treated to a comparison preview drive from Bridgestone at Calder. The comparison tyre for dry handling crispness was the PS3 & the Michelin was inferior (mind you, that discipline is not a PS3 strength anyway). The comparison tyre for wet grip was the SC5 & the consensus seems to be that it was a draw (that is impressive as that discipline is a strength of the SC5). I was sufficiently impressed to choose it for my wife's Forester & judge it to be very good indeed on the above criteria (& not harsh; mind you the size is 215/60-16, so more compliant than your size).

As for the other two, I suggest a quick browse of the relevant tyre tests on this site:

Tyre Articles - TyreReviews

Go to the top right corner & browse by tyre brand. Choose Michelin (Continental) & then PS3 (SC5) & then browse the tests in which those tyres appear by clicking on items in the list of tests. I suggest taking no notice of overall rankings but looking at performance on those variables of interest to you. I also suggest taking most notice of those tests using sizes closest to your width & profile & recent tests over older ones (manufacturers make modifications to such things as compounding without public notification of this).

My own rank ordering of the shortlist would be:
    1) Conti SC5 (consistently good on our assumed criteria in a range of tests using different protocols)
    2) RE 003 (untested but good blogger reports against shortlisted rivals)
    3) PS3 (good but oldish now & becoming more a solid performer than a class leader)

The Primacy 3ST & Conti ComfortContact5 tyres mentioned above by colleagues are comfort, silence & low rolling resistance tyres. They are totally outclassed by any of the above shortlist on the chosen parameters of appraisal. I hope that that is some assistance.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 1st August 2015 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks Peter

That was brilliant & gives me bucket loads to go on with.

Cheers

Lean,

It's all about a balance between performance (in various categories), comfort, price. At least your tyre size limits your choice somewhat which will probably make the choice easier for you.

I stayed with Michelins because I like the steering on rails feel that good models give and also my old tyres had recently survived 500km of dirt roads around the Flinders Ranges when another car with Continentals had taken out sidewalls. I saw a few bad review posts about other continental tyres not surviving much rough stuff too well and that scared me off them.

All the best for your choice,

Ken W

1000+ Posts

No takers for Hifly?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Lean,

It's all about a balance between performance (in various categories), comfort, price. At least your tyre size limits your choice somewhat which will probably make the choice easier for you.

I stayed with Michelins because I like the steering on rails feel that good models give and also my old tyres had recently survived 500km of dirt roads around the Flinders Ranges when another car with Continentals had taken out sidewalls. I saw a few bad review posts about other continental tyres not surviving much rough stuff too well and that scared me off them.

All the best for your choice,

Ken W
    Well, no; it's not automatically all, or even at all, about a balance among those factors. You might favour such a balance but others might legitimately prefer skewing things to prioritise some parameters of interest & discount others.

Personally, for instance, I couldn't care less about comfort & will pay a premium to get the performance qualities I seek. Others might favour these matters &, say, discount handling crispness. First step remains that of deciding what parameters to prioritise.

Concerning rough road work: if that is a factor in a decision, then, if available, I suggest opting for the so-called XL (or extra-load) option. Compared to regular tyres, an XL variant has two sidewall plies & not one.

I have no idea how well the Primacy ST sidewalls would compare to the SC5 in robustness in the face of rough road assault but do note that, as it happens, in the chosen size, the SC5 is available in XL (the FR means that it has protrusions near the rims to protect them). Conti website copy & paste: 245/45R18 100 Y XL FR

As for having a "steering on rails" feeling, the SC5 would be far, far superior to the comfort-orientated ST (a total "no comparison" situation).

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 2nd August 2015 at 09:40 PM.

Put 4 Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245/45/R18 100W on the X7 December 2013. Have done about 25 000kms on them mainly driving country highways between Bathurst and Brisbane. As well as some expressways down the coast. Went for quite comfort but also happy with the road holding and wet road performance. Not showing much wear at this stage. I would definitely put these on again when the time comes.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Thread Information