Sphere testing and re-gassing
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! deesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    563

    Default Sphere testing and re-gassing

    Hi men,

    Can anyone suggest a good place to have the spheres on my SM tested and re-gassed if required? I will remove them from the car first.
    I am in the Northern suburbs.

    cheers Tony

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    TRARALGON Vic
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Paris Motors in Richmond can do the job. Should you ever go past Traralgon drop in, I have a tester.

  3. #3
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,322

    Default

    Cccv
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  4. #4
    Member wilrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    79

    Default

    And, does anyone in Victoria fit new diaphragms?

    And, does anyone know of a source in Australia of the aluminium looking covering on the outer sill of a DS19?
    it is available OS but would prefer if someone had a roll of it here. It is actually an embossed fabric.
    wilrex
    2CV6 Special Green, Riley RMB, RX7 Rotary, Jensen Healey, 1896 Ford A replica, and last but not least 1961 Citroen ID19-P... Previous include, 27 Chev Truck, 24 Bean Truck, 27 Chev Capitol, Rover S105, Humber Hawk x 2, MGB, Ford AA Truck, Ford A, elderly motorbikes x6, and more...

  5. #5
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilrex View Post
    And, does anyone in Victoria fit new diaphragms?

    And, does anyone know of a source in Australia of the aluminium looking covering on the outer sill of a DS19?
    it is available OS but would prefer if someone had a roll of it here. It is actually an embossed fabric.
    wilrex
    Roger parker in Adeliade will do new diaphragms in the spheres. I think the stock of LHS diaphragms is almost gone though. LHM is readily available if you have converted it.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    407

    Default

    The Citroen DS Specialist | Roger Parker

    [email protected]

    0438 809 237

    or in Victoria through the CCCV

    see www.citcarclubvic.org.au



    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Roger parker in Adeliade will do new diaphragms in the spheres. I think the stock of LHS diaphragms is almost gone though. LHM is readily available if you have converted it.

    seeya,
    Shane L.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! deesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Cccv
    Hi Shane,
    Does this mean you do spheres? If how long would it take if I bought the car to you on a Sunday morning (if this is an option as I will be going out country on August the 9th)
    cheers Tony

  8. #8
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    Hi Shane,
    Does this mean you do spheres? If how long would it take if I bought the car to you on a Sunday morning (if this is an option as I will be going out country on August the 9th)
    cheers Tony
    I'm not sure who has the CCCV regassing gear. I'm assuming it's still Peter. I can regas spheres (using a dodgy home made regassing tool), but I need to get a gas bottle so would need to pass on the costs to whoever wants there spheres done ( about $75 for a d sized bottle and one months rental). If you find all your spheres are ok .... You still need to pay so I'm not out of pocket. However you can regas the spheres for all your cars for this amount if you bring a big box of them here....

    I however cant' disassemble/replace the diaphragms.

    I'd suggest the CCCV regasser will be much closer than ballarat so less effort for you.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  9. #9
    Member wilrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Yes, Peter Dekker will re-gas them, but can not replace the diaphragms, I gather.
    Roger Parker in Adelaide can do both, but he suggested David Graes? in Victoria may be closer. Is that correct?
    I think Paleades in Qld. still do them but not sure...
    What is the pressure required? Could be a tricky operation if HP is involved. OH&S paramount.
    Wilrex
    No clues as yet on the silver sill material for the ID?
    2CV6 Special Green, Riley RMB, RX7 Rotary, Jensen Healey, 1896 Ford A replica, and last but not least 1961 Citroen ID19-P... Previous include, 27 Chev Truck, 24 Bean Truck, 27 Chev Capitol, Rover S105, Humber Hawk x 2, MGB, Ford AA Truck, Ford A, elderly motorbikes x6, and more...

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Symar/ca/usa
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilrex View Post
    Yes, Peter Dekker will re-gas them, but can not replace the diaphragms, I gather.
    Roger Parker in Adelaide can do both, but he suggested David Graes? in Victoria may be closer. Is that correct?
    I think Paleades in Qld. still do them but not sure...
    What is the pressure required? Could be a tricky operation if HP is involved. OH&S paramount.
    Wilrex
    No clues as yet on the silver sill material for the ID?

    SM = 40 bar front and 26 bar rear

    DS/ID= 59 bar front and 26 bar rear.

    Double check the size of the by-pass holes (center hole in the shock body) on those SM units - should be 1.45mm front and 1.25mm rear. If 1.8 or 1.6 they have been switched out for D units (this applies to the riveted shocks only)

    Steve

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! Don B. Cilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Mallorca, Spain
    Posts
    435

    Default

    IFHS spheres are €30 new. Haven't heard complaints either.
    Is it really worth regassing them?

  12. #12
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    IFHS spheres are €30 new. Haven't heard complaints either.
    Is it really worth regassing them?
    They'll be throw away junk. Keep the rebuildable original spheres Especially if they have removable dampers

    seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Symar/ca/usa
    Posts
    607

    Default

    SM's never got the removable dampers - at least here in the US. I think the last year for D's was 1969. There was an interim assembly, at least on D's, of a riveted damper that was held in the neck of the sphere with a retaining ring. Not sure if we ever saw those here, however.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •