• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By rmac

Thread: Window tinting for CX?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Window tinting for CX?

This message has just been posted on the Yahoo SM forum. Might be of interest to CX owners? I dont know whether it is available in OZ.
    roger

Advertisement

Find a 3M window tinting dealer and have their 3M Cystalline Solar tint installed, ÖÖ..
    With the 3M Crystalline tint, the windows appear totally factory stock; in fact, no one could even tell they were treated unless I told them. This tint was exactly what I wanted, all the heat blocking benefits without the costly side effects. As the summer progressed, I noticed my A/C setting wasnít as low and I didnít need to cover my left arm on long drives.
    Features and Benefits

• 99.9% UV rejection is equivalent to Sun Protection Factor (SPF) 1700+, which protects occupants and precious cargo from the sunís harmful radiation
    • Reduced glare increases visibility
    • Blocks up to 97% of the sunís infrared rays and reduces incoming heat through the glass by up to 60%
    • Visible light transmission reduced from as much as 90% all the way down to 40%
    • Metal free design eliminates interference to cell phone, GPS, and satellite radio signals
    • Limited lifetime manufacturerís warranty against bubbling, peeling, blistering or purpling
    • Proprietary multi-layer nanotechnology combines 200 layers of optical film into one super thin sheet, which allows a clear film to reject more heat than darker films
    • Light tint options maintain your vehicleís original appearance with all the benefits of darker tint
    • Added safety and security for driver and passengers

Sounds pretty good to me ....I've resisted doing both the SM and the CX in the past as the tints offered are too dark and the cars then lose their originality. I'm going to call the local tint guy on Monday morning and see if he has ...or can procure this film.
    Thanks for the lead Roger.

Sounds to me like the answer to my wish to preserve the door trims in good condition. At the moment I won't take it out on hot sunny days! Neither will I take it out in dirty rainy weather. This severely limits the amount of time that I can use 'Christine' so she just sits in the garage and looks pretty now that the fun of doing her up has ended!
    Here is the site
    http://solutions.3m.com.au/wps/porta...omotive-Films/
    It seems that there are several listed dealers right here in 'Oz'.
    Last edited by gerrypro; 19th July 2015 at 09:24 AM.
    Cheers Gerry

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

The ceramic window tints come in clear and pretty much stop heat and UV from getting through. It is illegal in Australia to put any material on the windscreen that wasn't there from the factory BUT, I have a feeling that if you ask an installer really nicely, they may have it available and might "accidentally" do the windscreen...

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    The ceramic window tints come in clear and pretty much stop heat and UV from getting through. It is illegal in Australia to put any material on the windscreen that wasn't there from the factory BUT, I have a feeling that if you ask an installer really nicely, they may have it available and might "accidentally" do the windscreen...
    You could argue in favour on safety grounds I reckon! You are assuredly driving more safely if less baked by heat! I doubt that line of logical persuasion would work though, and subterfuge is the correct approach. I think it is a very good idea myself.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

If I can get it, I will be doing the windscreens on both my cars

How much is it for front windscreen only? The windscreen is a replacement item once its peppered with stone chips.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The windscreen would definitely be the one to do. I tinted my CX about 10years ago. I found the tint that claimed to stop the most heat transfer and didn't care about how light/dark it was. It made a staggering difference. To the point where you would travel windows up on 30->40degree days as it was cooler than having the sun on you. It does darken the windows quite a bit though.

I think I looked at this 3M tint at the time. It was extremely expensive back then. So much so it wasn't even worth considering. It may well have come down in price over the last few years though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I am unsure what a new windscreen would cost or, even if CX screens are available but, if they are at a reasonable cost and your screen is sandblasted, it may be worth replacing it with a new one depending on the cost of the ceramic film. I would consider this with the XM which has its' original sandblasted screen if it were going to come in under $1500 and I have plans to keep it for a while (Had it one year, slowly fixing everything - decision as to if I am going to keep it for a while still pending...)
    Shane - are CX screens available?

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    I am unsure what a new windscreen would cost or, even if CX screens are available but, if they are at a reasonable cost and your screen is sandblasted, it may be worth replacing it with a new one depending on the cost of the ceramic film. I would consider this with the XM which has its' original sandblasted screen if it were going to come in under $1500 and I have plans to keep it for a while (Had it one year, slowly fixing everything - decision as to if I am going to keep it for a while still pending...)
    Shane - are CX screens available?
    Yeah, the local manufactures have the molds and make them Infact they have offered to make them with a solar film in the past. The only reason I haven't done this is I don't have the $$$ to spend. You had to pay the mold cleaning fees .... If you ordered 10 windowscreeens... Per screen the price would probably be quite reasonable.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

We seem to be back to the special order for CX windscreens?!?! If so I'm willing to buy one if a bulk order gives a reasonable price! In fact if it is very reasonable I might make it TWO!

IIRC JohnW is also another one interested in the solar treated windscreen.
    JohnW likes this.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

I had a new CX windscreen fitted May 2013 (wow how the years fly). Obrien glass ordered it and fitted it. Wasn't expensive and was easy to fit. They told me it came from Sydney.

Since I'm on the topic; I changed the external rubber trim to that of a new Gemini trim (cheap local source) which by my measurements seems exactly the same. However, it might be a bee's dick bigger because now the screen rubber squeaks like crazy. I think this might be because the rubber is tighter. Anyway I plan to replace the rubber next, which I have new ready to go.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

keen indeed

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    We seem to be back to the special order for CX windscreens?!?! If so I'm willing to buy one if a bulk order gives a reasonable price! In fact if it is very reasonable I might make it TWO!

IIRC JohnW is also another one interested in the solar treated windscreen.
    Sure am....

Wagon going yet?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Better check with your state licensing laws. Illegal modifications will void your insurance as easy as pie.
    Insurance companies love modifications, saves them a bucket of money in having to do payouts

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Better check with your state licensing laws. Illegal modifications will void your insurance as easy as pie.
    Insurance companies love modifications, saves them a bucket of money in having to do payouts
    I've never heard of an insurance company knocking back a claim due to vehicle modifications ..... Let alone a clear tinted windscreen!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information