XM weird behaviour....
  • Register
  • Help
    WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default XM weird behaviour....

I shouldn't bitch so much about this car as it is wonderful to drive (the gearbox seems to have sorted itself and only plays up very occasionally)

Anyway... I live at the top of a hill on a fairly short street with a main road at the bottom. On starting the car for the first time on any day, I let it pump up (what ARE anti-sink spheres for?) and, head off down the street. I have to go over 2 speed humps before I get to the bottom so, it stays in first gear. When I stop at the bottom of the road, the motor will cut out for a few seconds and then start running again. There has only been one time when I had to re-start it. The thing is, this is the only time the car does this and then it runs perfectly for the rest of the day. I have let it go into second on the way down the hill and it still happens. However, If I go in the other direction an go around the block on fairly flat roads before going down the hill, it doesn't happen.

Advertisement

This is more of an observation for you all as, I cannot imagine that anybody would know what is causing it. My only guess has been fuel starvation due to the acute angle of the car but, it has a high pressure EFI system - not a carburettor....

Hey Warren,
    it's weird because 1. It's a Citroen. 2. It's an XM. There's your answer. cheers.

PS. It's only if you try to make sense out of it that you risk going nuts. And regarding the anti sink sphere, regass it or replace it. You will then see it work.

George 1/8th

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The anti sink sphere doesn't stop it sinking. the differential valves do. the anti sink sphere is a rear brake accumulator! You'd know if the anti-sink valves were not working, not only would it sink quickly, it would take an eternity to lift!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    I shouldn't bitch so much about this car as it is wonderful to drive (the gearbox seems to have sorted itself and only plays up very occasionally)

Anyway... I live at the top of a hill on a fairly short street with a main road at the bottom. On starting the car for the first time on any day, I let it pump up (what ARE anti-sink spheres for?) and, head off down the street. I have to go over 2 speed humps before I get to the bottom so, it stays in first gear. When I stop at the bottom of the road, the motor will cut out for a few seconds and then start running again. There has only been one time when I had to re-start it. The thing is, this is the only time the car does this and then it runs perfectly for the rest of the day. I have let it go into second on the way down the hill and it still happens. However, If I go in the other direction an go around the block on fairly flat roads before going down the hill, it doesn't happen.

This is more of an observation for you all as, I cannot imagine that anybody would know what is causing it. My only guess has been fuel starvation due to the acute angle of the car but, it has a high pressure EFI system - not a carburettor....

While really new to the XM world I do have to agree that the answer could well be - its a Cit, so what do you expect . OTOH it might be well to carefully check all of the electrical connections associated with the EFI insuring all is tight and connecting pins are clean.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

You don't happen to have some excessive amount of keys on your key ring, do you? I've seen it happen where someone complained of a similar problem, but only going over a particularly rough level rail crossing. Turns out that the ignition switch was heavily worn, and the weight of a loaded keyring bouncing about caused the switch to make/break.

Also, have your fuel filters been changed recently? The tank is clean? Does this happen regardless of tank level?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Hydro, The electrics don't fail at all when this happens so, I will check the fuel system from the tank forward. The low fuel light comes on when the gauge is reading 1/4 full and, It does seem to happen more when the fuel is getting low.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Thanks Hydro, The electrics don't fail at all when this happens so, I will check the fuel system from the tank forward. The low fuel light comes on when the gauge is reading 1/4 full and, It does seem to happen more when the fuel is getting low.
    Yah- check the tank for rust scale, ensure the lines are clear and the pump pressure is up to snuff. Also, check for a kinked delivery hose. Now, I don't know about the XM, but some cars where the fuel level drops to under 1/4, even when the level is well above that, it's because the fuel pickup is momentarily being uncovered- fuel starvation. If the pump is in-tank (that's a particularly American affection though), there is a cup the pump fits into that holds a measure of fuel for just such a problem.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thread Information