Default C5 drivers side passenger door will not open

As above
    Have disconnected battery and rebooted
    Result negative
    Any ideas
    Thanks

Advertisement

Hi Sherman,
    it will just be a faulty lock mechanism. Most likely a build up of dust and dirt , or the small electric motor has failed. I had to replace mine, the lock mechanism cost me about $20.00 at the centre rd wreckers ( Imlachs). You just have to go and find it, and remove it yourself. If you do that first on the wreck, you are less likely to do any damage to your car when removing and re-fitting the lock. I don't live very far from you ( Chelsea ) so if you go and get the part I would be happy to help you do the job.
    Cheers...

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the offer
    I don't really live near you
    It's only to protect my identity from the Aussie Frogs political correctness police

No problem. Good luck with it.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    As above
    Result negative
    Any ideas
    Thanks
    Hi Sherman
    I have not had this happen on my C5 (yet - as he grabs copies quantities of 4x2 in his hands), but have had a similar experience with my VW Touareg rear drivers side door.

Question or two first
    When you lock and unlock with the remote do you hear the lock mechanism engage/disengage? Is there no reaction from that door or does it sound like it is trying to work but something is stopping it? Hint try lock then unlock with your ear close to the handle to listen in.

On the VW you can hear the lock disengage then immediately re-engage, as if something is there not allowing to to fully open so it relocks itself. in other words the lock mechanism is still working, but not staying open. If you don't have this and a total absence of sound then I would check for power to that door circuit as it may be a simple case of no power no go.

If on the other hand you have symptoms like mine, it can be moisture that is the problem. Copies quantities of RP7 or WD 40 applied over a few days with one of those spray straws aimed at the door lock, the handle and from above through the window opening with the window down freed mine up. It stayed free until the next time I washed the car at a car wash and the same treatment worked, so now I only wash by hand.

It may not be a permanent fix but may at least allow you to open the door to make a repair and to source the appropriate replacement parts. I did get a replacement lock mechanism from the UK but have not had the time yet to replace it. Need more time for a round tuit.

No incentive to repair in summer as the lock does not play up in the dry, a weekly spray seems to keep the issue at bay. After a dry period here in June when I did not spray the problem reoccurred, but a week of spraying in very wet weather has seen the lock work again, so I guess I may end up being lazy and leave things be while it works!!! While it is not broke (completely) then don't fix it has always been my motto (the lazy man's).

Hope this helps for a temporary fix anyway

Cheers
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    As above
    Result negative
    Any ideas
    Thanks
    Hi Sherman,
    The earlier C5s had problems with the quality of the door locks and they just fail to work ! They do not get fixed by spraying etc. but replacement. Do not waste your time trying to lube them etc IMHO. I replaced several of mine by purchasing them O/S on Ebay. Find the correct part number and search
    The design of the locks was changed at some time which I believe fixed this problem.
    If I remember correctly you may get it to work by hitting the side of the door near the lock with the flat of your hand as you click the remote !!
    good luck jaahn

Thread Information