Citroen Xantia Heater console replacement (Series 1) troubles
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 Citroen Xantia Heater console replacement (Series 1) troubles

Hi Guys

The heater console in my Xantia was missing two control sliders (I broke one and the previous owner the other) so when I saw that Pickapart had a series one on it stock list I headed right for it.

Taking the unit out of the car at Pickapart was easy enough once the top panel, control cable clips and the cables themselves, putting this unit in my car has proved trickier then I expected.

With all the cables reconnected and the unit in place I cannot move the top left slider (the one that controls direction) further than half way when moving right to left. For whatever reason the bottom arm does not extend all the way across, which I believe is the reason why the arm and cable at the top does not move at all, and why the slider won't go any further than halfway. It looks like the cable surround / casing is catching on the clip that keeps the cable in place.

Not sure if i am missing a trick here but can't see what else it would be catching on? I was contemplating cutting back the cable casing bit by bit till the bottom arm extends all the way across.

If anyone has been in a similar situation or could point me in right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Nick

Advertisement

Hey Nick, try moving it manually first with no cable connected. Only fit the cable if you are getting the full movement. Something could be jamming or blocking the full swing of the flap inside the control box. You'd have to clear that first.
    There's also a possibility you have fitted the wrong control cable to the unit.. maybe accidentally swapped them over. See if you can confirm that the cables are the right ones in the correct positions. There's only heater control and air control, from memory.
    Good luck.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hey Nick, try moving it manually first with no cable connected. Only fit the cable if you are getting the full movement. Something could be jamming or blocking the full swing of the flap inside the control box. You'd have to clear that first.
    There's also a possibility you have fitted the wrong control cable to the unit.. maybe accidentally swapped them over. See if you can confirm that the cables are the right ones in the correct positions. There's only heater control and air control, from memory.
    Good luck.
    Hi George, thanks for your reply. I should have explained in my post, when the cables are not connected, the slider and both bottom and top arms extend all the way across. I am guessing that this wasn't the first time this had happened to the car because the cables coming from the right are labelled top and bottom. In any case, The length on both cables between the end connector and where the cable shielding stops is the same.

Guess I will have another go when I have the light is in my favour.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thread Information