C5 squeaky rear brakes
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By David S

Thread: C5 squeaky rear brakes

Default C5 squeaky rear brakes

Had some new rear brake pads put on last week and do they squeel. The local dogs have one big bark up. Any clues?

bweather

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Did the installer chamfer the pads? It usually helps.

Thanks sea sink I will ask that question of my mechanic this week and put a post on.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Copper grease - works wonders (On the back of the pads)

Thanks WRB I will suggest to my mechanic

Hi Bweather,
    it's not the pads that squeal ... it's the rotors. Once they begin to squeal it's time for them to be replaced. They do not last forever.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi George,
    C5 rear brakes squeal as soon as they leave the factory....

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Hi George,
    + 1 In fact almost all new Citroens do (and many other makes too)
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

1000+ Posts

Mine don't - touch wood.

The rear caliper is a fixed type, and is more susceptible to pads being slightly misaligned with the disc, and so may grab. There is a comment here - Floating vs Fixed Calipers explained - Why High End

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Hi George,
    Sorry, Warren.
    The designers make BRAKE parts with special care. They have to conform to standards, one of these is that the metal rotor must have particular properties. The end result is that when the rotors are new they do not squeal. As soon as they start to squeal it's time to replace them. When I got my Xantia 7 years ago it squealed continually when braking. Before I got the RWC I replaced all the rotors, and guess what? All squealing stopped. That lasted 6 years. Daily use. One change of pads in that time. After that, the squealing began just a little. I replaced the rotors again. Perfect ever since. All Citroen models made in the last 20 years should be like this. The pads wear out, but so do the rotors. Check your rotors, measure them, see if they are within spec. If not, replace them. Your life depends on it.
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 14th July 2015 at 02:14 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I beg to disagree George, but it may well depend on more factors such as the particular pads and rotors, weather etc. In the UK many makes suffer this issue, perhaps the salt on the roads has something to do with it, I do not know.

However, in 2003 when we purchased a Xantia SX in the UK (ex BBC car that had only ever been serviced at a dealer as part of the lease, 6 years old) for our 8 months in Europe, the brakes were given new pads and the rotors had less than half the wear allowable (rusty memory suggest about 1/4 to 1/3 wear). The brakes squealed badly after that when in the UK (March and April). We had the car serviced in France and mentioned the squealing (my better half is Breton so speaks french well) during June. They did do something but I know not what, and the squealing was reduced. Over a very hot July and August the squeal virtually disappeared, and did not come back after a service at the start of September (in France again) just before we returned to the UK.

UK service done at a Citroen dealer, we did not know where to go at that stage and wanted to be sure all was well.
    French services done at chain auto shops (can't remember which ones but they were located adjacent to hypermarkets and were very much cheaper and gave much better service).

Sold car to a friend who lived in the UK and he had no further problems, and was using copper grease on the back of the pads. The UK dealer had told us this was not needed and not by the book (not recommended by Citroen). I suspect it was the application of this by the french mechanics which solved the issue.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi George,

I bought my C5 Wagon Brand new in 2007 and the rear brakes were squeaking very loudly so, took it back to the dealership and they put shims behind the pads to fix them. The fix didn't work very well but the squeaking became intermittent and a bit quieter. When I came to change the rear disks and pads around a year later, I used EBC parts. The EBC pads were supplied with rubber inserts to place on the back pads but, if used, the pads wouldn't fit so, I used copper grease and it did a better job than the shims reducing the noise level on the occasions that the did decide to squeal. It is not perfect as occasionally they would squeal for a while and then stop. The issue is that if a breaking system has fixed callipers then the disk should be made with those circular bushes that you see on sports cars and motorcycles. This allows a small amount of flex around the centre of the disk to ensure that the pads are always square against the disk. As this isn't the case with cheaper cars, as you say, the pads are not always flat against the disc. The only permanent fix on cheaper cars would be to use floating callipers (the fronts rarely make any noise). I have had a lot of experience with this and have had motorcycles with fixed callipers and "floating" - for want of a better word - disks. As I said, I had my C5 from new and was able to almost eliminate squeal using copper grease. I have no idea why it works - I got the info from a magazine many years ago.

Thanks Peter O and Warren, I self moderated my earlier comment/ reply. I could be wrong but I was sure I had an idea as to what was happening with the rotors. here's my theory... the old thin worn out ones squeal like crap. You replace them and the noise disappears.
    That's my experience. I have never used or needed copper grease. I had no squealing for 6 years . Then it returned, so I again replaced the rotors. ( front ones ) . The noise went away again.
    I'm going to be stubborn and stay with my theory until I find a reason to change it. Every rotor I have discarded has been worn to well below it's servicable thickness. I changed them because of the squeal. This system works for me.
    Remember there is very little between you and oblivion, and that's brakes, steering and tyres. New parts are better than old worn ones.
    Good luck. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Thanks Peter O and Warren, I self moderated my earlier comment/ reply. I could be wrong but I was sure I had an idea as to what was happening with the rotors. here's my theory... the old thin worn out ones squeal like crap. You replace them and the noise disappears.
    That's my experience. I have never used or needed copper grease. I had no squealing for 6 years . Then it returned, so I again replaced the rotors. ( front ones ) . The noise went away again.
    I'm going to be stubborn and stay with my theory until I find a reason to change it. Every rotor I have discarded has been worn to well below it's servicable thickness. I changed them because of the squeal. This system works for me.
    Remember there is very little between you and oblivion, and that's brakes, steering and tyres. New parts are better than old worn ones.
    Good luck. cheers.
    Squealing is normally the pad rattling in the carrier or on the piston. Check the positioning and tensioning of the anti rattle springs on the pads.

If all else fails use some of this on the back of the pads :
    Brake Maintenance & Repair : Permatexģ Disc Brake Quiet

It's never failed to stop disc brake noise for me.

CRC red silicon gasket cement work well too. CRC Red Gasket - CRC Industries

Fellow Frogger

Some do, some don't. Even at a few thousand km sometimes, so it was more to do with dust, glazed pads and rotors than actual wear. Maybe, driving style too? Chamfering and slotting the pads helps on the older C5 models.
    Peter O and shanadoo like this.

1000+ Posts

Default Squeeling !

Hi
    My worth on the subject.
    From my experience and a friend who had a mobile brake skimming business, having new rotors or having skimmed rotors may not be the answer to all problems. He always just used black silastic on the back of the pads to fix it. Nothing expensive needed. Some pads have a plastic layer on the back for that purpose anyway.

If the rotors are worn out then obviously they need replacing. If not then obviously not . However if you replace the pads and the rotors are a bit worn and the lips have a radius and there are some minor ridges I usually remove these with an angle grinder. A final go over with emery will put a 'finish' on the disc to bed it in quickly. Or you need to chamfer the pads to suit the radiuses on the lips.

However if the pads just squeel any time for no reason then do a couple of firm stops from a good speed to bed them in again. That usually stops them for a while or forever if lucky. Note most pads have a compound in the last few millimeters to make a noise to alert you to the impending end.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

I did front and rear brakes (pads and rotors) on my 2008 C5 last week. I used RDA pads and rotors (less than $250 for the whole lot).

Have you bedded in your brakes? You need to get rotors really hot and brake pad material on their surface. This is achieved by doing about 10 aggressive 110-30km/h brake applications. I do two or three at a time, allow the brakes to cool before doing it again. This should give you a nice pedal and max braking performance given your setup.

If they continue to squeal after this, I would assume your brake installer stuffed something up, ie. hasn't installed the backing plates on the pads or used anti squeal paste, etc

Thread Information