• 1 Post By XM Mechanic
  • 1 Post By WRB

Thread: XM hand (foot) brake

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default XM hand (foot) brake

Hi,

Advertisement

I changed the front pads and rotors on the XM and, now the parking brake goes nearly all the way to the floor. The factory manual states that you hold it down to the floor with the motor running and the hydraulics will take up the slack but, when I did this it made no difference. Any ideas?

thanks

Warren

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You didn't break the springs in the calipers did you? The pistons needed to be wound in. To take up the slack, stand on the pedal a few times and the pistons should ratchet around and take up the slack.

seeya
    Shane L.
    PS: Have you had the "fun" of the release cable breaking yet .... Gee's I love XM's
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

No, I turned the pistons in and the brakes are working fine, it is just the parking brake that is affected. Cables are all intact and, while loose at the calliper, are connected...

It has probably popped out of the other end of the cable. It is in the transmission tunnel area. Just follow the cables from the front brakes back to what I consider to be an equaliser.
    UFO likes this.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's and got the shits.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    You didn't break the springs in the calipers did you? The pistons needed to be wound in. To take up the slack, stand on the pedal a few times and the pistons should ratchet around and take up the slack. seeya Shane L.
    PS: Have you had the "fun" of the release cable breaking yet .... Gee's I love XM's
    My reading of the post says WRB is pressing the parking brake pedal and you are saying press the brake pedal to get it to adjust up, just like a BX takes up the handbrake when pressing the normal brake pedal. Assuming indeed that a cable hasn't popped out.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    My reading of the post says WRB is pressing the parking brake pedal and you are saying press the brake pedal to get it to adjust up, just like a BX takes up the handbrake when pressing the normal brake pedal. Assuming indeed that a cable hasn't popped out.
    Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me. The XM is just a "big bx". He needs to pump the brake pedal to ratchet the pistons adjusters back out. Same deal with the old ID/DS clockwork brakes too

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Okay, I will give it a go with the normal brake pedal and see what happens. The thing is though is that I have working brakes and rhe parking brake pedal does take up but, nearly all the way to the floor. Maybe one of the cables has popped out of the equaliser so, will have a look on the weekend
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Okay, I will give it a go with the normal brake pedal and see what happens. The thing is though is that I have working brakes and rhe parking brake pedal does take up but, nearly all the way to the floor. Maybe one of the cables has popped out of the equaliser so, will have a look on the weekend
    No you need to pump the handbrake .... it should spin the pistons as it's applied (if I'm not confusing it with the "D" clockwork brakes). Each time you apply the handbrake it'll ratchet the pistons around slightly. If you wound the piston all the way in, it may need to ratchet out quite a bit

seeya,
    shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I have found with my BX's that when the handbrake lever starts to run out of travel at the top, you need to do a few good panic stops with the normal brakes and this usually lowers the handbrake level by a few notches.

In my experience, the brake pad wear is taken up during normal braking not when applying the handbrake.

Cheers,

Ken W

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    I have found with my BX's that when the handbrake lever starts to run out of travel at the top, you need to do a few good panic stops with the normal brakes and this usually lowers the handbrake level by a few notches. In my experience, the brake pad wear is taken up during normal braking not when applying the handbrake. Cheers, Ken W
    And that, presumably, is the equivalent of the parking brake pedal being down to the floor.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Well, one of the cables has fallen out of the balancer, unfortunately it is the top one. I undid the exhaust heat shield but, could not move it back far enough to be able to access the top cable. I tried to turn it around the muffler to remove it completely but, wouldn't come out. The muffler is going to have to come out and, unfortunately, it is the one that goes up to the catalytic convertor and, I cannot access the bolts at that end so - off to Paris Motors.

UFO

No need to pump the foot brake pedal - push and hold firmly with engine running - and park brake released. Next application of park brake should see improvement. My BX failed a rego check years ago because of a slack park brake. Jumped in, started the engine, held the foot brake and then asked the mechanic to check the park brake again. Three clicks - PASS!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information