• Register
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Balki
  • 1 Post By George 1/8th
  • 1 Post By Citroenfan
  • 4 Post By Citroenfan
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: The suspension accumulator sphere.

Default The suspension accumulator sphere.

The accumulator sphere on my wife's D was obviously low (8 psi) so it was taken off to recharge. Guess what? It had a front suspension sphere instead of an accumulator. Is there a problem with this, and why would you do it?

Advertisement
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

A suspension sphere has a damper which slows down fluid movement. Bad idea for an accumulator, as brakes and steering may need fluid fast. I would do it only if desperate as a short term fix, and even then I would try to remove the damper.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    A suspension sphere has a damper which slows down fluid movement. Bad idea for an accumulator, as brakes and steering may need fluid fast. I would do it only if desperate as a short term fix, and even then I would try to remove the damper.

Roger
    Aha! Yes, but it's been there long enough to lose almost all it's pressure so I'm thinking it wasn't a short term fix
    Gillian and Chris

Oh, and a Holden.

Fellow Frogger!

maybe someone put it in by mistake, or didnt know the difference,

a couple of years ago i removed a GS accumulator sphere and found it was a suspension sphere.

Good idea to put on the correct sphere

Yes, proper one installed and pressurised, but astounded. Me. I'm astounded. The sphere is pressurised.
    Gillian and Chris

Oh, and a Holden.

slight typo the sphere was 8 bar not 8 Psi, never the lees STUFFED
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Ahhrghh keep saying psi...
    Gillian and Chris

Oh, and a Holden.

Even very experienced Citroen people can accidentally put the wrong type of sphere on a wheel cylinder. I wondered why the rear end of my Xantia was bottoming out... the rear passenger wheel sphere is no place for an accumulator sphere. It was a long time before I realized anything was wrong. But geeez it was a huge improvement once I put the correct sphere in it's place.

Generally , every wheel sphere should be a sphere with baffles. On a Xantia, all the extra spheres should be accumulators. However, on a C5 , the centre spheres have baffles. Go figure.

cheers.. George 1/8th

There is also the possibility that someone knows that it doesn't matter if the accumulator has baffles as the pressure can still be distributed fast enough.... Anyone?
    Gillian and Chris

Oh, and a Holden.

I think you should always put the right sphere wherever it's supposed to go. No exceptions. It matters.
    Lasya likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasya View Post
    There is also the possibility that someone knows that it doesn't matter if the accumulator has baffles as the pressure can still be distributed fast enough.... Anyone?
    Lasya,

Really does not matter - at the pressures involved you will always get sufficient volume of fluid to power the steering - which is the greatest user of fluid volume once the car is at nominal ride height. Also remember that the fluid going into a suspension sphere encounters more resistance (by design) than flowing out. And if you are really concerned with it just drill out the by-pass hole (center hole in the shock if a riveted unit) to 3mm or so . If a replaceable shock sphere just remove the shock body.

As to actual fluid use - brakes use hardly any fluid volume. And the pump puts out a lot of fluid at nominal engine speeds. If some one does not believe this just remove the return line from the regulator to the main reservoir when the engine is just running at nominal idle and see how fast everything is covered in fluid . And fluid volume is independent of the pressure - they are positive displacement pumps.

OTOH a sphere that is down to 8 bar (166 +/- psi) is not a good candidate for recharging. Far to great a risk of the internal diaphragm rupturing in use. My personal rule of thumb is that if the unit is at less than 35% or so of its nominal fill pressure - just toss it. Failure rate starts going up exponentially.

Steve
    Last edited by Citroenfan; 3rd July 2015 at 08:07 AM.
    Peter O likes this.

I woke up and looked at the ceiling fan and noticed it's main shape was uncannily like a sphere, thought if they ever stopped being available you could sand cast one, cut it in half, and use a small dremmel to carve out the inside. Then spend a few years figuring out how to gas it!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    I woke up and looked at the ceiling fan and noticed it's main shape was uncannily like a sphere, thought if they ever stopped being available you could sand cast one, cut it in half, and use a small dremmel to carve out the inside. Then spend a few years figuring out how to gas it!
    Ya know - there are some excellent meds for this condition - some of which might actually be legal..........

S

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    ... just remove the return line from the regulator to the main reservoir when the engine is just running at nominal idle and see how fast everything is covered in fluid ....
    Exxon Valdez all over again!

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lasya View Post
    Ahhrghh keep saying psi...
    Funny, that. So do I.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger

Not to mention those speedometers marked in Furlongs per fortnight!

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Not to mention those speedometers marked in Furlongs per fortnight!
    That's furlongs per rod, thank you very much.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger

Did you know that 55 mph = 147,840 furlongs per fortnight. Uniquely merican.
    Sounds faster. That's almost 150! (kFf ???)
    michaelr likes this.

Thread Information