How to replace a C5 speedo and rev counter?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sherman

Thread: How to replace a C5 speedo and rev counter?

Default How to replace a C5 speedo and rev counter?

Can anyone point me to some diagrams/instructions for my 2000 C5

I have purchased a whole new dash cluster but can't find any simple instructions ( have heard its pretty straightforward)

Advertisement

Cheers

The Haynes C5 manual should cover this pretty well. They usually do the remove/replacement of the stuff in the cabin pretty well with just enough pictures.

Cheers,

Ken W

Indeed ...could someone just post the relevant page or 2

Fellow Frogger

Look for the two small dot marks at the bottom edge and lift it with a wide blade at those points to release it. Look at your spare to see where the retainer lugs are, but it lifts from the bottom and then you can pull it out and unplug it.

The speedo drive snaps the axle on a little gear wheel and it jams up. In the S1 cars, the tacho and speedo have the same part as the driver, so you can dismantle the cluster and swap them over to have a working speedo again. You should salvage at least the tacho drive in the broken cluster as a spare. The facelift cars have a different cluster.

Would it be simple to replace the WHOLE cluster?

Fellow Frogger

I'm not sure what happens to the odometer reading in the C5 if you change the dash. In some other models, it can result in the highest odometer reading in the system being adopted.
    Check with your mechanic before you make the swap of the entire cluster!

If you car has covered a zillion kms and you get a whole cluster from a low kms car, it should not be a problem, but fitting a high kms cluster to a low kms car may have an undesirable outcome.

A new cluster costs a fortune, which is why fixing your own has made sense. You can also likely scrounge the broken part from the tacho in a cluster with a broken speedo. The drive units can be repaired if need be and I have seen them listed on eBay for around 50 Euro each.
    Last edited by David S; 29th June 2015 at 01:41 PM.

Fair enough....good advice, wish I could get a few pics for my piece of mind as I am more visual

Fellow Frogger

Sorry, no photos, but you would do the following:

To remove the cluster lift it under the two dots at the bottom of the cluster. Then you should be able to hinge it upwards and release it and unplug the wires. The connectors will have a lock of some sort that you need to free to release them from the circuit board.

If you turn it over, you can remove the screws that hold the back cover to the front.
    Then separate it and remove the circuit board that holds the dials and speedo/tacho motors.
    The needles are a simple push fit onto the spindle, so pull them off so you can remove the speedo motor.
    Greasy / grubby fingers will mark the dial face, so be careful.
    The speedo and tacho motors each sit on two pegs and have four wire leads that slip into a connector on the board.
    Release the clip on both pegs (squeeze in from memory) and pull the speedo motor out of the board.
    Refit a good motor, which can only go in one way, install the needle and reassemble it all.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the info
    I needed to swap mine over as the auto gear position indicators where not well
    As described takes about 30 seconds
    The odometer reads from the car not the cluster so swap the whole lot if you have it
    Thanks again

Hi Guys, I read somewhere in this forum that if you swap the cluster over the cars computer ADDS it's record of the total KLMS driven to that of the new cluster, and it can't be corrected.
    The little gear spindle in the instrument motor is the part which breaks off. I have heard of someone drilling a very small diameter hole, the same diameter as the broken off spindle, right through from the inside, and then glueing a small length of a wood tooth pick to replace the spindle. It apparently restores the motor, as long as you let the glue dry completely before putting the small gear back in it's place.
    To remove the cluster to start the job, push in two old credit cards half way, so only half of the card can still be seen, one at each of those two markers on the bottom edge of the cluster, then it just pulls up from the bottom.
    I pulled mine out just to remove some dead insects from the instrument panel.
    The entire unit just unclips ,just be careful not to break the clips.
    Goodluck, cheers.

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=George 1/8th;1363123]Hi Guys, I read somewhere in this forum that if you swap the cluster over the cars computer ADDS it's record of the total KLMS driven to that of the new cluster, and it can't be corrected.

You shouldn't believe everything you read

[QUOTE=Sherman;1363132]
    Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi Guys, I read somewhere in this forum that if you swap the cluster over the cars computer ADDS it's record of the total KLMS driven to that of the new cluster, and it can't be corrected.

You shouldn't believe everything you read
    Hi Sherman, thanks for that. So, If I was to install a cluster from a different car, would it display the KLMS travelled by the car , just as before? If so, that's good to know.
    cheers... George 1/8th.

Fellow Frogger!

That's what mine did yesterday
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Come to think about it the cluster came out of an Iranian car about 7 years ago
    So it probably reads the highest Kms which would be my car
    Hence no change
    But would have gone up if the replacement cluster was higher

I think all the salient details of the car such as, VIN, security codes, error logs, current mileage, service status is stored in the BSI computer and would be designed to be uploaded to the instrument panel each time the ignition is turned on. But seeing an instrument panel swapout doesn't happen all that often, who know what bugs there might be in the system. I think it unlikely that the BSI would download any info from the instrument panel, I think it would be designed to all go the other way. Sometimes it helps to think about reverse-engineering this sort of stuff as you usually end up not far off the mark.

Cheers,

Ken W

Im tempted to replace the whole cluster still.....HAs anyone a Haynes manyual they can scan...please

Fellow Frogger!

It has to be the easiest cluster to pull out
    Just put a couple of flat bladed knives where the spots are push them forwards and lever up and out
    Plug has a little detent and a closing/opening lever
    "That's all folks"

Here is the section of the page in the Haynes C5 Manual. I hope a picture says a thousand words to you in the confidence department. Figure 11.3 refers to paragraph 3 in section 11 in Haynes speak.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to replace a C5 speedo and rev counter?-c5-instrument-panel-removal.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Since nothing succeeds like excess, here's a Spanish manual saying the same thing - How to replace a C5 speedo and rev counter?-screenshot-15.jpg

Thanks

Just an update ... As I couldn't find the problem with the original I ended up swapping the whole unit ( from a diesel to petrol I might ad) and all working fine. It DOES show the old cars mileage, but it wasn't that much of a difference, so I'm not worried. Also it sent a message to the main display that an airbag had been deployed, which I guess was from a crash that caused the part to be wreaked?

That's fascinating news. Glad its working for you. I'm surprised how much it remembers from the previous car. I suppose you might be able to get it back to normal with a dose of Lexia or Diagbox.

Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers,

Thread Information