Accumulator Spheres.. 2 piece vs welded!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ajaxvte
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Accumulator Spheres.. 2 piece vs welded!

Default Accumulator Spheres.. 2 piece vs welded!

Hello all,

I'm at the point I'd like to think about replacing Celia's welded spheres I fitted initially with a nice set of rebuilt 2 piece spheres.

I'm fortunate enough to have the entire set of two piece spheres in perfect condition which I'll have refurbished.

So- there is no question around the suspension spheres; they'll be 2 piece.. But how about the accumulator?

I'll prefix this with a small disclaimer: no fear-mongering regarding the propensity of two piece spheres to "explode"- I'm a firm believer in the 'defective regulator' camp.

So.. Originality, at a slightly higher cost and go the two-piece?

Or is the supposed greater capacity (can someone confirm?) of the welded accumulators the way to go?

I look forward to what I presume will be an informative, opinionated and heated discussion ️!

Thanks in advance,

Advertisement

Toby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fellow Frogger!

Latest advice I had was go the two piece on the wheels and the one piece on the accumulator...
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Latest advice I had was go the two piece on the wheels and the one piece on the accumulator...
    Me too.. Just wondering why?

I'm a sucker for originality.. And quality.. And the two piece spheres are just so pretty!

1000+ Posts

Had a 2piece accumulator explode;nothing wrong with regulator. Fortunately it was a hyd. and so only suffered a dent in front crossmember,Andy.

Why not go a dual membrane accumulator saucer sphere as fitted to the last of the series 2 Xantias. Last for up to 15 years with no need to regass. Citroen Service seems to be down at the moment so let me know if you would like a part number. Unfortunately they are painted silver rather then LHM green. Part number is 527243 - 385cm3 62Bar, Slimline Accumulator Sphere. From Chris's post below, these sound as though they would be an easier to fit than the longer 400cm3 one piece sphere.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Last edited by Ken W; 29th June 2015 at 12:55 PM.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by renault12 View Post
    Me too.. Just wondering why?

I'm a sucker for originality.. And quality.. And the two piece spheres are just so pretty!

For the accumulator sphere I don't think you are really compromising originality, some very nice original cars using the welded sphere. Hardly noticeable on our D Special given the location.

Pros and cons, as you have mentioned I understand the welded sphere carries a higher volume not a bad thing as we don't have a brake accumulator on the D Special. The welded sphere is deeper, if fitting from under the car you may need to jack the motor - the two part sphere is a breeze and can be spun off and on. The factory welded sphere is now supposed to hold gas longer (if anything like the C5 we have not replaced any spheres in 13 years).

Just a few thoughts

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

I would ask UFO about his experience about 18 months ago to help you decide!

Don't forget that not every car used a 62Bar accumulator, which is what the welded ones are. I think they all do after about 1971, but some were 40-odd. You can regas the welded accumulator (even a new one) to a lower pressure if need be, but if a dealer does this and uses the factory screw-on refilling plug, it will foul the crossmember. Most of the clubbie/home style gasser rigs retain the original plug, so that's what would be needed. They are a fiddle to fit without removing the regulator as an assembly, which is a good opportunity to service it too.
    UFO likes this.

I am pretty sure Xantia accumulators are not double membrane, only the front suspension units are. The factory replacements might be better but they are now painted silver, not good if you worry about originality. You can buy new green ones though from outside suppliers, cheaper too.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thanks all!

Welded it'll be.. At the prices of aftermarket spheres now it's not even worth regassing!

The guys down here built a re-gassing rig and the other day re-gassed my (new) acc. in a few minutes (taking out the time it took to source a proper accumulator as someone had put in a suspension sphere...). We discovered that after about '71/'72 ish they all came with the one piece sphere. Cost next to nothing.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

Hi Guys, the Xantia spheres with the double membranes have 3 dimples around the filler screw head. If there are no dimples, it's a single membrane sphere.
    cheers... George 1/8th.

UFO

Been away for a few weeks - so delayed response.

Unless you've found the thread from March/April 2013, a quick summary.

Driving car to work one day. Heading down the hill on the Princes Hwy just past Kiama exit/entrance around that gentle left hand bend toward Bombo beach. BANG CLANG F%$%^&... Quickly realised the two piece accumulator had crapped itself.

Managed to get to the side of the road somehow (in the right of three lanes of 100 km/h traffic) and pulled up on gears and handbrake. Flat bed truck home and three hours later I had the car running again with a spare welded accumulator.

As stated above - my car has (now) two piece suspension spheres and welded accumulator.

The sphere literally blew apart at the thread. Never again.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default Saucer Accumulator Sphere on Xantia

Folks,

Below is a picture of a saucer accumulator sphere fitted to my Xantia Wagon. You can see that although its a bit fatter, it is s lot shorter than a regular welded sphere and a lot longer lasting as well.

The part number I listed above comes up on Auto Midi Lorient at 110 euros.

If you have a Citroen Service account, look at Xantia Series 2, Suspension assembly, suspension, hydraulic circuit breaker and this sphere is listed as part 7 a 5242 73 - SLIMLINE ACCUMULATOR SPHERE.

I reckon someone should try one of these out and report back.( I might even be prepared to loan one to someone in Brissie!)

Cheers,

Ken W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Accumulator Spheres.. 2 piece vs welded!-dual-membrane-accumulator.jpg   Accumulator Spheres.. 2 piece vs welded!-hydraulic-circuit-breaker.jpg  
    Last edited by Ken W; 20th July 2015 at 10:11 PM.

Thread Information