• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By George 1/8th
  • 2 Post By garyk

Thread: Where did this come from?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Where did this come from?

Doing a bit on the Big 15 today so hopefully will get to FCD in Brissy in July. I backed the car out a bit & found this on the floor. I know the sort of connection it comes from but can't see where it could be missing from & everything seems to be working ok. Only this car is parked in this spot. cheers DaveWhere did this come from?-img_0930.jpg

Advertisement
    Just a duckin' & a weavin'

Hi Dave,
    Don't know about the Traction, but the part looks like a rear door stay pin on id/ds

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Chris, It's not from there. This is probably around 30mm long, cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Halfbrick View Post
    Doing a bit on the Big 15 today so hopefully will get to FCD in Brissy in July. I backed the car out a bit & found this on the floor. I know the sort of connection it comes from but can't see where it could be missing from & everything seems to be working ok. Only this car is parked in this spot. cheers DaveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0930.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	71220
    My old (1951) Renault 4CV has quite a few like that, mostly on yokes at both ends of cables, such as accelerator cable at carburettor end. Any one of them falling off and the car wouldn't be drivable, but you "backed the car out", so my comment might be no help!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Yes John, that's the sort of application we usually see but I not only backed it out but went for about 10klms & got back ok so I'm none the wiser at the moment. cheers Dave

Hi Dave,
    my guess would be that a previous owner dropped it and it hid in some inaccessible spot, out of the way. When he couldn't find it , it was quicker to just fit a spare one. When you've moved the car it's come free somehow, and now you have a spare.

Possibly.

cheers... George
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I still think it's recent, the car is parked on carpet so anything dropped tends to stay where it lands
    the " previous owner " thought is logical but I've had the car for 32 years & the part is clean
    I don't want to get caught out half way to the FCD but you would think that if this has dropped out then whatever it was holding would immediately fail. cheers Dave

There are pins like that in the Gear linkage levers on the firewall of a traction!
    Could be that it was lodged down near the rear support for the torsion bars or some other obscure place and that your work has shaken it loose!
    Cheers Gerry

Ah that bit.

Its one of the parts that the French car makers secrete around their cars to show up now and again to confound their owners.
    Works a treat.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    There are pins like that in the Gear linkage levers on the firewall of a traction!
    Could be that it was lodged down near the rear support for the torsion bars or some other obscure place and that your work has shaken it loose!
    You answered just as I was going through a Traction parts book.

Halfbrick, pay particular attention to #118300, near dead center on the pic::

There are other locations for that pin, but they all look to be inside the car.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    Ah that bit.

Its one of the parts that the French car makers secrete around their cars to show up now and again to confound their owners.
    Works a treat.
    As an old friend of mine will say "it's fallen down into never-never land....".
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

I think it is called a clevis pin. If the car has a rod operated clutch there is one at the gearbox end of the clutch rod.
    It is larger than the ones on the gear lever arms. Both in length and diameter.
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Halfbrick View Post
    I still think it's recent, the car is parked on carpet so anything dropped tends to stay where it lands
    the " previous owner " thought is logical but I've had the car for 32 years & the part is clean
    I don't want to get caught out half way to the FCD but you would think that if this has dropped out then whatever it was holding would immediately fail. cheers Dave
    Wow, 32 years is up there. Hard to argue THAT logic. It must be a recent drop out, you'd think, I agree. It lacks wear marks mind you. I wonder what you haven't actually used, pulled, pressed, turned etc in that 10 km?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

It looks like 118300 in the diagram.

Thread Information