• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: European Trip, suggestions please

Default European Trip, suggestions please

Hi all,

Advertisement

Kathy and I am headed to London, Paris, Prague, Germany and Barcelona from late October. Given that it's the 60th Anniversary of the DS, I'm thinking there are some citroen-related things to have on the agenda. All thoughts or 'musts' would be very welcome.

Tim
    okalford likes this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Where in Germany, Tim? Just all over? No, I'm not going to suggest Oktoberfest. Not only has that been done wayyyyyyy past death, but you'll be too late anyway. I was lucky- at a couple of the villages I stopped at, there were celebrations going on. By this point, it was mid October. One of them I blundered my way into a wedding reception! Great fun.
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

If you can arrange to tag on to a previously organised tour, then the Conservatoire Citroen is well worth getting to. Note that it's not open to the public so just rocking up to the door is probably not an option.

I contacted Mme Martine Darblade via e-mail. (martine.darblade [at] citroen.com.) she is the "Coordinatrice Visites -Seminaires Conservatoire".

She was incredibly helpful, not to mention diplomatically patient concerning my French (her English is excellent), and was able to slot myself and mate Crawf in with a tour group of PSA workers from the factory next door last year when we were in Paris.

A half a day spent with the jaw on the ground and flattening the battery of the camera. Crawf was nearly brought across to the dark side avec chevrons!

Some superb and incredibly interesting exhibits.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Hotrodelectric.
    Is your surname Griswald?

Germany --- Autobahn -- unlimited speed --- way to GO
    Forget the Citroen thing, save it for Australia

Hire a 911 GT3 and GO..........
    Hire Porsche in Europe, Cayenne, Boxster, Cayman, Porsche 911, Panamera

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    Hotrodelectric.
    Is your surname Griswald?
    Not quite. I was by myself in a red Visa Super, not a green Family Truckster.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Where in Germany, Tim? Just all over? No, I'm not going to suggest Oktoberfest. Not only has that been done wayyyyyyy past death, but you'll be too late anyway. I was lucky- at a couple of the villages I stopped at, there were celebrations going on. By this point, it was mid October. One of them I blundered my way into a wedding reception! Great fun.
    I think Berlin. We have a relative performing circus stuff and want to see her show...plus many say that it's great to go there!

Tim

Thanks Pottsy! Great suggestion. I will try to make contact and arrange something.

Tim

Fellow Frogger!

Berlin great city - Museum heaven, especially if you're into antiquities

Also cheap, edgy and great art /culture scene, also party scene. People good and dialect comprehensible.

Not aware of much CitroŽn related stuff there, but this may just be that I missed it on my trips.

Good for Trabis though !! Fascinating little things.

General car stuff:

Schlumpf collection Mulhouse - Alsace ( Bugatti bias, but now French national car museum " Citť de l'Automobile" so presumably CitroŽn well represented ).
    Peugeot museum Sochaux ( next to Alsace )

Very envious

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    I think Berlin. We have a relative performing circus stuff and want to see her show...plus many say that it's great to go there!

Tim
    Oh, very cool. If you like shopping at all, you'll like the KuDamm. Also, if there is anything of the Wall left, try to get a view of that. The outdoor cafes are generally pretty good, if expensive. And you gotta go see Brandenburger Tor. Hell, tour the city center. You won't regret it. The nightlife is usually pretty lively. A compelling mix of recreated "old" and the most modern architecture. This link will give you an idea.

If you get bored of Barcelona's frantic pace (I usually do within an hour ;∑) come to Mallorca for a day or so.
    Much quieter place. Half-hour flight. Lots of Aussies.

We have no Conservatoire but I do have two Ds
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Thanks so much to all for these great suggestions. Don that sounds fabulous.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Tim,

there was a very similar thread on here perhaps 12-18 months ago. People had several suggestions about various Citroen museums etc to go to. One sticks in my mind which is the one where they have many extremely low mileage cars, that is on my bucket list.

i will have a dig in the AF archives....

Mrs Leconte and I will be going as soon as work decides they can do without me. As a long term contractor, I simply cannot say no to work if they keep offering. It's sad but that's the contract life.

cheers Leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Tim,

that museum is in Castellane in Provence. Type Castellane into the AF search bar and you get half a dozen great posts about Citroen related things to do in France and Europe.

for example:
    French Car Museums - Where to go?

If you want some non-citroen related things to do, just ask!

Cheers Leconte
    1965 Heidelberg ID19

Thanks Mark! It's long service leave for me.

Tim

Fellow Frogger!

So how long have you got - until the end of the year or through until ==> Feb 2016?

we have traditionally travelled in European Autumn + Winter. Nothing like visiting a french chateau with the outside temp -8 degrees celcius and it seems -15 inside! Never been so cold, actually. But being the only visitors is an experience in itself, you just have to watch out for seasonal closures, there is a lot of that.
    1965 Heidelberg ID19

We are restricted by Kathy's leave, so we actually only have about 5 or 6 weeks.

Tim
    David M likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    Hi Tim,

there was a very similar thread on here perhaps 12-18 months ago. People had several suggestions about various Citroen museums etc to go to. One sticks in my mind which is the one where they have many extremely low mileage cars, that is on my bucket list.

i will have a dig in the AF archives....

Mrs Leconte and I will be going as soon as work decides they can do without me. As a long term contractor, I simply cannot say no to work if they keep offering. It's sad but that's the contract life.

cheers Leconte
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    Berlin great city - Museum heaven, especially if you're into antiquities

Also cheap, edgy and great art /culture scene, also party scene. People good and dialect comprehensible.

Not aware of much CitroŽn related stuff there, but this may just be that I missed it on my trips.

Good for Trabis though !! Fascinating little things.

General car stuff:

Schlumpf collection Mulhouse - Alsace ( Bugatti bias, but now French national car museum " Citť de l'Automobile" so presumably CitroŽn well represented ).
    Peugeot museum Sochaux ( next to Alsace )

Very envious

Andrew
    I did a France trip this time last year. For me the Paris highlight was just wondering around. If you haven't already, definitely do the Palace of Versailles, there is nothing like it, and you truly get an understanding of why the French revolution happened. There's plenty of tourist stuff to do, just beware of pick-pocketers, especially around the tourist events. All three French dealers (and quite a few others) have a dealership on the Champs Elysees (I went eyeing off the cars while my friend went shopping).

Then I hit the road for 8 days driving through France (2300km?) looking at car museums. The highlights of my trip were the Citromuseum and the Peugeot Factory (didn't expect this to be so fantastic). The Citromuseum is in Castellane, which is located in the French Alps. It's a fair hike out of Paris (maybe 800km), but you could catch a train to Grasse (maybe 5 hours or so seeing the beautiful French countryside), then drive up to Castellane. Lots of Citroen, all in original mint condition, some have less than 100 miles. The French Alps is amazing, and it might be worth spending a couple of nights in Castellane. You can then catch a train from Grasse to Monaco.

I stayed in Nice, and took a day trip to Monaco, then drove Nice to Castellane, Castellane to Sochaux (Peugeot Factory and Museum), Sochaux to Mullhouse (Schlumpf collection), then Mullhouse to Reihms, then back to Paris. Amazing trip, but wish I'd spent more time seeing the scenery in the Alps. Mullhouse (pronounced moo-losh, not mull-house as I kept saying and people looked at me funny) was a great little city. About the size of Bendigo, but quite different. The only place I felt I could have lived. Castellane was a real little village, and definitely seemed to be a destination in July/August for the English Tourists to get some sun.

Haven't mastered the art of Flickr yet, but hopefully this link works to my pictures from Citromuseum. https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Enjoy your trip, take a spare memory card, and lots of photo's. I'm heading to Greece in 3 weeks, that's already throwing up a few curve-balls compared to the last trip.
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Thanks to all who posted their best places to visit .
    I am leaving in about 3 weeks for an 8 week trip in England and France.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    I did a France trip this time last year. For me the Paris highlight was just wondering around. If you haven't already, definitely do the Palace of Versailles, there is nothing like it, and you truly get an understanding of why the French revolution happened. There's plenty of tourist stuff to do, just beware of pick-pocketers, especially around the tourist events. All three French dealers (and quite a few others) have a dealership on the Champs Elysees (I went eyeing off the cars while my friend went shopping).

Then I hit the road for 8 days driving through France (2300km?) looking at car museums. The highlights of my trip were the Citromuseum and the Peugeot Factory (didn't expect this to be so fantastic). The Citromuseum is in Castellane, which is located in the French Alps. It's a fair hike out of Paris (maybe 800km), but you could catch a train to Grasse (maybe 5 hours or so seeing the beautiful French countryside), then drive up to Castellane. Lots of Citroen, all in original mint condition, some have less than 100 miles. The French Alps is amazing, and it might be worth spending a couple of nights in Castellane. You can then catch a train from Grasse to Monaco.

I stayed in Nice, and took a day trip to Monaco, then drove Nice to Castellane, Castellane to Sochaux (Peugeot Factory and Museum), Sochaux to Mullhouse (Schlumpf collection), then Mullhouse to Reihms, then back to Paris. Amazing trip, but wish I'd spent more time seeing the scenery in the Alps. Mullhouse (pronounced moo-losh, not mull-house as I kept saying and people looked at me funny) was a great little city. About the size of Bendigo, but quite different. The only place I felt I could have lived. Castellane was a real little village, and definitely seemed to be a destination in July/August for the English Tourists to get some sun.

Haven't mastered the art of Flickr yet, but hopefully this link works to my pictures from Citromuseum. https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Enjoy your trip, take a spare memory card, and lots of photo's. I'm heading to Greece in 3 weeks, that's already throwing up a few curve-balls compared to the last trip.

Thanks Daniel! What a wealth of info! Castellane will be straightforward as we are headed to the crash site outside Nice where our cousin and Aunty perished in the Germanwings tragedy.

Tim
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 30th June 2015 at 10:48 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    Hi all,
    Kathy and I am headed to London, Paris, Prague, Germany and Barcelona from late October. Given that it's the 60th Anniversary of the DS, I'm thinking there are some citroen-related things to have on the agenda. All thoughts or 'musts' would be very welcome.
    Tim
    Hi Middlemonn.1 I am envious of your imminent trip, and in late October you will enjoy nice weather and getting longer daylight hours for Europe. I was in all of the above places (except Prague, Italy instead) in late Dec '15 and early Jan '15. I don't know if you have travelled internationally before, I assume you have. Anyway I will offer a range of travel advice. I have honed this over the years and it works for me & Mrs Whippet, but everyone is different. You can take it of leave it. One phrase sums it up. Less is More!!

There are interesting things to see in most places that you visit, and it depends on the style of travelling that you and your partner prefer.

• As long as you live, you will never "see it all", so your approach needs to be to enjoy the things you do and places you visit. There is no best coffee ever, or best strudel ever or panorama ever.
    • You need to allow and build in things to sate both of your interests, maybe if you feel brave after becoming familiar with the lay of the land, go your own way for half a day?? Let the other person plan some of the itinerary?
    • When In Rome - do as Romans do: Enjoy the culture, food entertainment in the different countries/cities that you visit. Try things you wouldn't normally do. visit different cultural things museums, art galleries, theatre etc. Also get up and going early, don't waste the day.
    • Accomadation: you can waste a lot of time googling hotels, B&B, checking location, best pricing, reviews etc. Just remember that there is no best solution, many people stay in many hotels/B&B every day and manage to sleep, shower and sh!t without any problems. Here is what I did to make it easy and simple. I joined up as a Silver member with Le Club Accor. They have a good range of hotels at different price points, locations and features. I just logged onto their site and booked a hotel either in the city or next to a public transport station - done. The other benefit, is that as you collect points you do get upgraded, you get free WiFi. Also all meals in the restaurant of any Accor hotel restaurant are half price for Silver members - anytime. I travel for work a lot, so my membership is useful for these trips, and I get to use the point for my own leisure travel even a free night or two makes a difference. Accor is French based and has many properties in the areas you are visiting. Become friends with the reception staff, they are local and can be very helpful.
    • Getting Around: You may be driving for some/all of your trip. We found that the public transport in Europe is brilliant. Do purchase passes when you arrive in cities. eg: I was in Munich in Feb and for E15 was able to travel anywhere on the tram, bus, train and subway for a whole weekend. In London get an Oyster card each, very easy to use and multi modal, same for Barcelona and Germany. We now just use the bus or subway to get in from Airports to our city accommodation, luggage and all! You can save money as well. The mainline trains in Europe are very good. I strongly recommend a site www.Seat61.com. Use SkyScanner for flights.
    • Luggage: Most people make a big mistake with packing and luggage. I don't know your age, but if you are not as spritely as you once were, make it easy for yourself. Every time I travel now I pack less and less. Last time my checked suitcase and carry on baggage combined weighed 14 kg - packed! Not counting the clothes in was wearing. You should only require one small to medium case each, plus one other carry on bag, say 105cm so that you can fly on both Domestic and International flights. Make sure that your carry on will sit on top of your medium luggage, so that you can maneuver it with one hand.
    • Packing: It is not a fashion contest! Purchase the newer lightweight travel apparel eg: Kathmandu, etc. Purchase it when on sale, it is expensive but is very good stuff. It is very good, lightweight, good to wear, repels soiling, easy to wash & dry. less volume so it takes up less volume in your luggage. It can also look neat and have some concealed zip pockets. I don't take denim anymore. Here is the basics of what you need to pack:
      • 3 pair of underwear, 3 pairs of socks, 1 T shirt to sleep in, 2 pairs of pants, 2-3 shirts. 2 lightweight tops/vest (fleece style) and 1 thin unpadded outer hooded rain coat. 1 pair comfortable walking shoes eg: Keen. Maybe one other shoe (not runners). Hat, scarf, mittens if destination is cold.
      • You can wash a few things every night in your bathroom, wring it out in a spare towel, and hang it up on your portable elastic clothes line, (braided ones that don't need pegs)
      • toiletries: you don't need shampoo or soap etc, it will all be in the hotel, although I do pack a small universal detergent for laundry, and shower as needed. otherwise I just use the hotel shampoo for everything! I pack my toiletries into a small approx. 3" x 6" zip up pouch, goes in my carry-on.
      • I now use an over the should satchel approx. 30 x 30 x 7cm, made from a lightweight fabric with a large flap onto Velcro. It is very versatile when it si empty it is flat, I can pack my camera, spectacles, umbrella, jacket, hat brochures, maps, etc into it. Mrs Whippet has a similar satchel. I cant recommend these highly enough!
      • Personal Safety: you will hear may stories and warning about pick pockets, Gypsies, tricksters etc. I find that if you have a partner, you are better together than a person on their own. Some people make it very easy to become a target. Just be vigilant and sensible and alert, and you will be OK. Use the safe in your hotel room, use your postcode as the combination. Make sure you have a few copies of your passport that you can carry on you. You should always know where your passport is, either in your safe or on your person - no exception. Don't take your best watch, or jewelry, leave it at home.
      • Money: I use a Travel Money card from CBA, and load them up prior to departure and maybe top up while overseas. Other banks have similar products. I would not use products from non banking institutions. Don't forget to always have some change in your pocket. Many places in Europe you need to pay to use public lavatories!
      • Information and Communication Technology: I strongly suggest that at least one of you has a device that you can use apps on. Some of the Metro apps are brilliant. Set your hotel as "home" and then just tap and find the best routes etc to get you there. You will need reliable data. If you are in a country for a while, I suggest that you purchase a SIM card from a retailer in that country. We had a multi country SIM card, but it didn't work in Italy. Also you will find it difficult to purchase multi country SIM card after you arrive. I suggest that you do it in Australia. Check the data rates, they can be tricky. We found that we made very few calls. Most communication back home was via Skype, and Facebook. We used the free SIM that came with CoverMore travel insurance. It worked OK for us.

Anyway, I have prattled on a bit, but I offer it for what it is worth.

Enjoy your trip.
    Last edited by Whippet; 30th June 2015 at 11:17 PM.

Dear Whippet,

Thank you so much for all this advice. It is excellent! We have travelled in Asia in the past, but this is our first European trip. It hasn't seemed possible before, but feels important to do now. We are very grateful for all of this advice. I hope to visit Ballarat on these holidays - I have the school holidays - (still have to deliver some tyres to Doublechevron!). I'm wondering what citroens you drive / would be happy to say hello if you are about.

Thanks again for this wealth of practical information.

Tim

Fellow Frogger!

Hi. I am not fortunate enough to own a Citron, in fact I have never ever been in one! I have two Peugeot 307's. If I am about I would be happy to catch up. Shane has my mobile number.

We also visited Vietnam on the way home from Italy earlier this year. First time in Asia, although more Indochina. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. We still haven't worked out where we are going this year, am thinking Cambodia and the top of Vietnam.

I very much enjoy visiting Europe, so compact, so diverse, so much history, I would happily live there, and I probably could arrange it for 12 months with my work. Mrs Whippet doesn't want to do it, so I guess that is that. I wished I had learnt a second language, it would have been handy. The only problem with Europe is that is such a long way and expensive flights to get there and back.

The only thing I didn't mention about travelling, you need travel insurance, there are many to select from. I have used Covermore based on recommendations from other friends and also people in the travel industry. I have never needed to use it, but my friends have experienced a tooth abscess in Italy and got it repaired in Germany!! Interesting (painful) story!

Cheers again!

Tim

I did France with 7kg bag, beat that!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information