• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By rmac
  • 1 Post By badabec

Thread: Converting LHD DS to RHD?

Default Converting LHD DS to RHD?

I was wondering if anyone had experience of converting a left hand drive BVM car to RHD and could offer some advice? I've been looking at a nice LHD example from the early 70s, an ID, and my collection of RHD spares and thinking that'd make a nice little project.

I've got a RHD steering rack, the gearstick/steering column mounting bracket and gearstick cable, a RHD bellhousing/gearbox, clutch cable and pivot arm. I'm wondering if there are any mounting holes already there on the LHD model bulkhead for locating the gearstick/steering assembly and pedal box? I guess the brake pedal arrangement is the complicated bit.

Advertisement

Any suggestions appreciated, including drop the idea now!

Cheers

Marc

Hello, drop the idea, just drive it the way it is, that was how God made it. Much bigger market for left hookers as well. And more room for your feet, properly thought out clutch cable, no steering column in the way of the exhaust and starter.
    How about trying to get the panels to fit and the doors to close with a nice clunk?
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    I also thought about this (briefly) a few years ago. The handbrake also has to be changed, and steering binnacle switch gear is different too. Wiper motor also different I think. A fair bit of chopping and welding to the bulkhead as well. It is possible but a lot of work required....

cheers,
    Ed

IIRC the wiring loom is also different. A not inconsiderable expense.
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

For overtaking, one could use a mirror in the top corner of the windshield on the passenger side.
    Or a little inexpensive camera connected to the dash-mounted smartphone which is also good for music, GPS, etc.

For toll booths etc., the D is better than most cars as there's nothing between the seats, except in some the armrest which moves easily, so it's a breeze to slide over - unless you're really overweight ;∑)

[EDIT[ Look, a double mirror setup
    http://krugozor.pl/en/index-1.html
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; 26th June 2015 at 04:43 PM.

Hi Marc,

Just a quick list of chassis changes that I can think of... not exhaustive - does not include any parts...

Cheers,

Mark...

1. Captive nuts (about 10 from memory) to take the RHD pedal box sheet metal pieces
    2. Hole in the RHD firewall for the brake valve multi pipe union
    3. Holes/captive nuts in the firewall for the footbrake or clutch pedal and cable
    4. Mounting holes for the handbrake (if a manual)
    5. Brazed tube in RH front fork for handbrake cable
    6. Mounting holes on chassis dash shelf for steering column assembly (4)
    7. Cut hole in firewall to take steering column assembly
    8. Weld? (it may be bolted) receiver for accelerator linkage to LH side of engine recess
    9. Remove and reposition lower dashboard bracket series for RHD (69 build year and earlier only)
    10. Drill holes in the side box section to take the height control lever rod.
    11. Replace footplate in LH footwell where brake valve was
    12. Close brake valve multi pipe union hole in LH firewall
    13. Close LH firewall hole where steering wheel was
    14. Captive nuts on RH front fork to take bracket for gearchange down on gearbox (manual only)
    15. Replace under windscreen panel to move windscreen wipers to correct orientation

Thanks very much for the feedback guys. The more I think about it, it is certainly doable but quite an exercise.

Having one LHD car already I'm not keen to have another although the DS in question is quite tempting. Driving on the left its the width judgement on fast bendy roads and the inability to overtake that frustrates me, on this island with too much traffic! One way or the other if I get a D again it's going to have to be RHD - will think on.

cheers

Marc

Errr...sell it and buy a right hooker? At least the factory will have done all the work properly, apart from the clutch quadrant.
    JohnW likes this.

Default LHD v RHD

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Errr...sell it and buy a right hooker? At least the factory will have done all the work properly, apart from the clutch quadrant.
    i like your thinking -life really is too short. mind you I have been restoring a GS for nearly 4 frigging years now!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marc61 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had experience of converting a left hand drive BVM car to RHD and could offer some advice? I've been looking at a nice LHD example from the early 70s, an ID, and my collection of RHD spares and thinking that'd make a nice little project.

I've got a RHD steering rack, the gearstick/steering column mounting bracket and gearstick cable, a RHD bellhousing/gearbox, clutch cable and pivot arm. I'm wondering if there are any mounting holes already there on the LHD model bulkhead for locating the gearstick/steering assembly and pedal box? I guess the brake pedal arrangement is the complicated bit.

Any suggestions appreciated, including drop the idea now!

Cheers

Marc
    In the late seventies I bought an ID20 which had been imported as a LHD and someone had 'made a start' on the conversion to RHD.
    They had obviously run out of patience at some stage and where the loom came through the scuttle behind the dashboard they took to it (looked like) with a pair of pruning shears and just cut through the loom. I brought the beast home on a tandem trailer and in order to reverse it up the steep slope to my workshop I had to refit the steering (to the right hand) side because of some changes which had been made to the dash.
    NOTE: A LHD steering rack does NOT just flip over to become RHD. A whole new rack is required. Reversing with this setup is entertaining to onlookers, terrifying for the driver.
    I took about 2 months to complete the conversion which included a respray.
    The wiring was a nightmare and probably the hardest exercise for me (I had never heard of Hotrodelectric at that stage) and I never quite got the ignition right so ended up adding a separate starter button and ignoring the ignition warning lamp.
    The car ended up being a pleasure to drive and I held on to it for a couple of years before trading it in for a '70 Pallas.
    If I can remember any other details re. difficulties I'll post them here.

SF

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Don't be too sad, Scot. I hadn't heard of me either. At that point, I wasn't too far out of high school, and had just started on Jeeps and VW Beetles. Of course, today we can all have a good laugh about all that.

BTW- I have that second email from you. I've been mulling it over, I'll be replying to you tonight on that.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thread Information