• 2 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 2 Post By Pierre Boulanger
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By Middlemoon.1
  • 1 Post By JohnW

Thread: Citroen DS 21.. A few questions

Default Citroen DS 21.. A few questions

Hello to all,

I recently bought my precious DS and I'm going to need some help form you guys. I want to change the speedometer. The current one has water temperature indicator. The one that I fou
    nd from ebay has not. Is it possible to transfer the indicator to the new speedo?

I'm also looking for good C colum trims. Any source for new ones or used like new?

I will come up with more questions

(Forgive my bad english)

My DS (1971 EFI)

Advertisement

You mean the instrument panel. right?
    Like this one?
    It's really quite easy to put the temp gauge in it, yes.

Column trims, if you mean those above the back seat, to the sides, they are easy enough to have made, or make yourself.

What a beautiful car, Pierre! Congratulations. Is it manual or hydraulic shift? Has it always been in Greece? Colours look great. While the country may be experiencing austerity, it's good to see that this hasn't affected your ability to enjoy the best car in the world!

Best wishes,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    Like this one?

Yes this what I mean thanks!. Its easy for a pro or even an amateur? Its really essential to have it since DS's with injection are getting really hot sometimes.

As far as the C column trims I can't make new my self thats for sure lol. I was wondering if you guys have a source in order to get a pair
    Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    What a beautiful car, Pierre! Congratulations. Is it manual or hydraulic shift? Has it always been in Greece? Colours look great. While the country may be experiencing austerity, it's good to see that this hasn't affected your ability to enjoy the best car in the world!

Best wishes,

Tim
    Dear Tim,
    Thanks for the kind words. It was a dream for me to have a DS and thank God I finally have it!
    The car was in south France until 2011 and then for 2 years in Czech. Than my cousin that live in Austria bought it for me and before a month I drove her all the way to Greece. Amazing experience with no problems at all. The car it self cost me 6.800 euros + spheres and other minor improvments total 7.000 euros. Its 5 speed manual. The austerity is severe but i didnt had any second thoughts to offer all the money I had for her.

To be honest my first love (since 1993) is below (1984 model):

Quote Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    Like this one?

Here is the current one

Another pic of the car

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Boulange View Post
    Hello to all,

I recently bought my precious DS and I'm going to need some help form you guys. I want to change the speedometer. The current one has water temperature indicator. The one that I fou
    nd from ebay has not. Is it possible to transfer the indicator to the new speedo?

I'm also looking for good C colum trims. Any source for new ones or used like new?

I will come up with more questions

(Forgive my bad english)

My DS (1971 EFI)

Hi Pierre-

1) Don't worry too much about your English. If we can get what you're saying, you're doing just fine. And if not, there's a lot of words in English. We will eventually find the one that suits your need.
    2) Ask away. I tell everybody "dumb questions are easier to fix than dumb mistakes". I want these on the road, not sitting in a garage somewhere with some small problem that can be easily fixed in a few posts..
    3) Getting on to your question: yes, it's very simple to add the temp gauge. The lead for the sender in your case is already installed, so this becomes very simple.

You will need to pull the instrument cluster. To do that, open the hood, and locate the speedometer cable. It should be running past the ignition coil and the alternator. About 1/2 way between these two pieces, you will find that the cable housing has a brass fitting that you unscrew. The cable becomes two pieces. With that, you can now remove the cluster. Go in the car. The job is a little easier if you remove the top of the steering pod first. Two screws underneath the chrome trim surround at either side of the steering column. Remove these two screws, and then work the top out. Place the car in 4th or reverse. Carefully remove the 4 screws that hold the cluster in place to the dash. Pull the cluster out enough to remove the speedometer cable and the 3 electrical connectors at the cluster. If you have a Pallas, there will be a fiber optic that goes from the cluster to the ignition switch. Simply unclip this from the ignition switch. Your cluster is now out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When removing or reinstalling the cluster, take great care that you do not snag or bend the corners of the cluster. DO NOT tighten the screws down beyond lightly snug. Those corners brittle and very easily broken.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the cluster is out, you can begin the swap. First, you will need to remove the knob for the warning check- the one on the left. It simply pulls off. If you're swapping the speedo, you'll need to pull that knob too. Again, it just pulls off. You might need to gently pry them off. Flip the cluster over, and you will see a series of IIRC 6 screws. Remove those screws, and carefully remove the circuit board. For the cluster you wish to swap to, you will see a blanking plate. Remove it and either discard it or keep it with your old cluster. On your old cluster, the temp gauge is attached with 3 nuts to the cluster board. Noting which way is up on the temp scale, remove the gauge. Again- be careful. These pieces are old and very dry, and the copper has work hardened over the years.

Since you have the cluster out, now is the time to test and replace any bulbs that are burned out.

As Haynes puts it, Reassembly is the reverse. The connectors are color coded in white/green/yellow. Just don't cross-thread the speedometer cable on reassembly

Hope this helps.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

The two tone colour scheme looks so good on a DS
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

What a wonderful drive you did, Pierre! Any pics or highlights from that! Wow. What a DS adventure.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Hi Pierre-

1) Don't worry too much about your English. If we can get what you're saying, you're doing just fine. And if not, there's a lot of words in English. We will eventually find the one that suits your need.
    2) Ask away. I tell everybody "dumb questions are easier to fix than dumb mistakes". I want these on the road, not sitting in a garage somewhere with some small problem that can be easily fixed in a few posts..
    3) Getting on to your question: yes, it's very simple to add the temp gauge. The lead for the sender in your case is already installed, so this becomes very simple.

You will need to pull the instrument cluster. To do that, open the hood, and locate the speedometer cable. It should be running past the ignition coil and the alternator. About 1/2 way between these two pieces, you will find that the cable housing has a brass fitting that you unscrew. The cable becomes two pieces. With that, you can now remove the cluster. Go in the car. The job is a little easier if you remove the top of the steering pod first. Two screws underneath the chrome trim surround at either side of the steering column. Remove these two screws, and then work the top out. Place the car in 4th or reverse. Carefully remove the 4 screws that hold the cluster in place to the dash. Pull the cluster out enough to remove the speedometer cable and the 3 electrical connectors at the cluster. If you have a Pallas, there will be a fiber optic that goes from the cluster to the ignition switch. Simply unclip this from the ignition switch. Your cluster is now out.

When removing or reinstalling the cluster, take great care that you do not snag or bend the corners of the cluster. DO NOT tighten the screws down beyond lightly snug. Those corners brittle and very easily broken.

Now that the cluster is out, you can begin the swap. First, you will need to remove the knob for the warning check- the one on the left. It simply pulls off. If you're swapping the speedo, you'll need to pull that knob too. Again, it just pulls off. You might need to gently pry them off. Flip the cluster over, and you will see a series of IIRC 6 screws. Remove those screws, and carefully remove the circuit board. For the cluster you wish to swap to, you will see a blanking plate. Remove it and either discard it or keep it with your old cluster. On your old cluster, the temp gauge is attached with 3 nuts to the cluster board. Noting which way is up on the temp scale, remove the gauge. Again- be careful. These pieces are old and very dry, and the copper has work hardened over the years.

Since you have the cluster out, now is the time to test and replace any bulbs that are burned out.

As Haynes puts it, Reassembly is the reverse. The connectors are color coded in white/green/yellow. Just don't cross-thread the speedometer cable on reassembly

Hope this helps.
    My dear Hotrodelectric I'm so grateful for the time you spent advising me. Thanks!
    i can now buy the instrument panel, print out your advices and give it a try
    THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    What a wonderful drive you did, Pierre! Any pics or highlights from that! Wow. What a DS adventure.

Tim
    I have many videos and pictures from the road trip.. During the next days I will finish the post process and of course I will share the video here with all of you
    During all this trip I felt like VIP..

Admires in Ancona Italy

Last edited by Pierre Boulanger; 26th June 2015 at 05:39 AM.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

My dear Hotrodelectric I'm so grateful for the time you spent advising me. Thanks!
    i can now buy the instrument panel, print out your advices and give it a try
    THANKS!
    Not a problem- you're quite welcome. If you have a problem, ask. That's why we're here. By the way, you needn't be so formal with me- the name is Bill.

I have many videos and pictures from the road trip.. During the next days I will finish the post process and of course I will share the video here with all of you
    During all this trip I felt like VIP..

Admires in Ancona Italy

That is a nice pic. We need more!
    Pierre Boulanger likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

That is my dream of a European Holiday!!! We are headed to Europe following the D run in October. And although I plan to see some citroens, I don't think I'll be able to aspire to such a wonderful mode of travel!!

Tim

Lovely car, Pierre. Just lovely. Nice drive too!

Best wishes
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information