BX 16v clutch adjustent
  • Register
  • Help

Default BX 16v clutch adjustent

i'll be completely honest, i've never done a clutch adjustment and i have no idea where to start. it's not going in all the way. where do i start and how do i tackle this job....?
    all help is greatly appreciated

Advertisement

Put car on high, lie down under front left and look up to see the end of the cable - you're looking for a 13mm nut with a 10mm lock nut on the end of the threaded end of the cable. Loosen off the 10mm, then adjust cable by turning the 13mm. When pedal is adjusted as you want it, retighten the 10mm.

For safety's sake, pop an axle stand under the car before sticking your head under there!

make sure when you have adjusted the cable that it still has free play at the fork on the gearbox, otherwise you will ruin the trow out bearing and clutch plate

These clutch mechanisms don't have free play. The thrust bearing remains in constant contact with the fingers of the pressure plate. There is spring tension on the pedal mechanism that ensures this is the case. Adjusting the clutch raises and lowers the pedal/clutch take-up point.

Is it possible to have them too tight? I have a new clutch, and it feels like it might have a little too much slip?

Default BX 16v clutch adjustent

What do you mean by "slip"?

If you wind the 13mm nut in too far, you will have a high pedal.

Fellow Frogger!

The Haynes BX manual defines correct clutch adjustment by the distance the clutch pedal is from the floor. Clutch pedal travel should be between 130 to 150 mm measured from point where pedal platform attaches to clutch lever.
    Last edited by moulton2speed; 23rd June 2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added more information

Thread Information