D Front Seat securing points
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default D Front Seat securing points

Hi, I'm hoping somebody can help.
    I'm reinstalling my front seats which were recently recovered. One of the nuts that is located on the underside of the hump which the front seats sit on, has moved and I'm unable to get it back into position to screw the seat securing bolt in.
    I've haven't been able to ascertain if a) The hump is able to be removed so I can find and relocate the nut, or b) If the area underneath is accessible if the exhaust muffler and heat shield are removed.

A bit of a mission either way I suspect but it looks like I have no choice

Many thanks, Dean

Advertisement

Hi Dean,

The quick answer is there is no way to access the underside of the "hump"... it is closed.

Has one of the captive nuts started turning, or is it just that they don't line up...? The cptive nuts closest to the outside of the car are in a sliding cage so can be adjusted for width.

Cheers,

Mark...

Tadpole

Thanks for your reply Mark.
    It's actually one of the inner nuts that has disappeared. Looks like I'll need to put my thinking cap on and come up with a solution.
    There goes another weekend!
    Regards Dean

Hi Dean,

You could try using a nutsert - or cut an oversize hole and reweld a new nut and plate in place.

It's a good thing it's an inner nut - fixing the outers is a whole lot harder.

Cheers,

Mark...

Just wondering if the nut has slipped in its cage or is totally lost? If it has slipped in its cage, can it been chased using a strong magnet from the top and dragged to where it should be, or using a skinny magnet poked through the hole and attracted closer to where it can be manipulated into place.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

I'll try that Simon and see what happens So are the inner nuts also in cages? It would be good if they were - that would mean it has just slid along to where I can't see it. I'd pictured it falling to the bottom of that space.
    Cheers Dean

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    I'll try that Simon and see what happens So are the inner nuts also in cages? It would be good if they were - that would mean it has just slid along to where I can't see it. I'd pictured it falling to the bottom of that space.
    Cheers Dean

What about Riv Nuts?
    '
    Similar principle to pop rivets but one ends up with a stable female thred oof the desired size in place

Good guns are about 200.00, but they have 101 handy uses round the home

Good lock

Andrew'

Fellow Frogger

You will probably have to remove the carpet from the hump to see what's actually going on and to fix it properly. I'd expect you'll find there are several cracks radiating out from where the nut is meant to be and the whole area is no longer rigid. You really need to fish out the nut and weld it back together with some added reinforcement. I suppose you could cut a slot somewhere in the hump, maybe the front, and slip in a sheet of metal with a new nut and then screw it in place from the top. That avoids welding and there is then a backing to make the seat mounting relatively safe. It's actually a fairly weak area and prone to cracking.

You will probably find something like this under the carpet ...

D Front Seat securing points-ds_frontseatmount.jpg
    Last edited by David S; 21st June 2015 at 05:53 PM.

They're welded, mine was gone and the body sheet torn, cut out a square and put another in with the original nut, years of jumping in had cracked the welds.

You will probably find something like this under the carpet ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DS_FrontSeatMount.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	70962[/QUOTE]

Whoa! Glad I didn't find that in mine!!!!
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

Thread Information