• 1 Post By henry61
  • 2 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By Harvey

Thread: CX2200 Pallas Hatchback I saw for sale

Tadpole

Default CX2200 Pallas Hatchback I saw for sale

This is my first post but I saw a car that may be of interest to some on sale at Gray's online, a 1977 Citroen CX2200 Pallas
    1977 Citroen CX2200 Pallas Hatchback Auction (0002-5014789) | GraysOnline Australia

I personally don't own a french car but a family member has a C3 HDI which I must say is nothing short of impressive in it's build quality and power. The little diesel in that thing pulls like a V8 and sure turned me into a diesel convert.

Advertisement
    danielsydney likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That's actually quite a nice looking car. There not a hatchback though... Don't bid on that one though (even though it appears very nice). The market value of a running driving registered CX2200 in that sort of condition would be < $3,000. Unregistered, not running .... not much more than scrap metal value sadly.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

I'd guess Grays will run that through at lower and lower values until it finds a more sensible level.
    There's also a 7% buyer's premium to add on top.
    A Dutch auction with that starting point might be more appropriate.
    It's something of a survivor though and it's rare to see a 2200 in that condition.

1000+ Posts

I was a bit worried that it might be Laurie Lewis's (owns a green CX Pallas, lives in Armidale), but his is a 1978 2400 Pallas C-Matic.

Anyway Henry - thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention, and welcome to Aussie Frogs!

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 17th June 2015 at 02:53 PM.

If he gets the price he wants for it, I will be pleased
    JohnW and danielsydney like this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

A nice looking car but no interior shots of it! The condition in the interior will make or break the value !
    It is a pity that everyone responding so far is talking the values of these cars down. I remember when TAs and Ds were dirt cheap by comparison with todays values. Give these cars time and the values will climb!
    Cheers Gerry

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Hi Henry and welcome to Thunderdome!

That is a reasonably nice car, but not a hatchback. There never was a CX hatchback save for the couple examples made by I think Heuliez in the '80s. Both the CX and the GS were designed at the same time, and I think were thought of along the same lines, but only the GS got the hatchback with the GSA in '79. PSA likely believed that with the different versions of the CX wagon and a relatively low sales volume, tooling up a CX hatchback was an unnecessary expense.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

I agree with you Gerry. A good CX will be a valuable item in the not too distant future.

There are some shots of the interior if you go deeper in the page. Appears only fair interior however with some splits in the leather on front seats so it is probably worth about $2,500 to $3K on spec. Body looks pretty straight and no apparent rust but it is a risk unless you can get in and inspect these things.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    A nice looking car but no interior shots of it! The condition in the interior will make or break the value !
    It is a pity that everyone responding so far is talking the values of these cars down. I remember when TAs and Ds were dirt cheap by comparison with todays values. Give these cars time and the values will climb!
    Have you placed a bid yet? Greg C probably needs to have another 'Oh what a feeling!' Prius moment.

Whichever way we look at it, it's simply not worth 11K in today's market and will always be a 2200 4 speed manual.

p.s. I also tend to think that people's value proposition may well change when daily transport moves inevitably towards non-fossil energy. Many 'classic' cars that people like as regular transport, particularly under the Vic rego scheme, will become relatively less appealing for that purpose.

David I think that the move to more modern power sources in the future will certainly limit the usability of "classic cars" in the future. However they will always be an object of interest and nostalgia for the way things were! People will still collect and display unique vehicles and accord them the values they deserve. One brings to mind Edwardian era vehicles that require 'White Spirit " for propulsion. You do not see these vehicles often but they are none the less valued, even though they are an anachronism today.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    I'm waiting....
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Have you placed a bid yet? Greg C probably needs to have another 'Oh what a feeling!' Prius moment.

Whichever way we look at it, it's simply not worth 11K in today's market and will always be a 2200 4 speed manual.
    More interesting is the Turbo diesel Safari on carsales that has a $9k price tag. Has been there for quite a while though. The feeling I get in a CX is more of a swoon, no jumping up feeling, just a bit sad we we can't have their like now with a hybrid drive train
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

The CX2200 is my favourite CX. Light, simpler and just because it is not so precious, even crude, creates a "Devil could care attitude" in the way it can be driven - dare I say it, makes it a little bit more French

That CX Safari is a bargain. I know the car. It belongs to a CCCQld member and it is not only rare but practical, economical and in very good condition. One can buy an old D or Cx & spend $10K & still not have 5 speeds or air-conditioning let alone a diesel. Turn it into a hire camper or sleek Coffee van & claim it as a business expense...I would if I hadn't invested so much in my three bangers.

CX2200 though, the Original and the best!
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Fellow Frogger!

The CX and Rover SDI 3500 of the time had similar body shapes (same designer?). One criticism I did read of the CX was that it was not a hatchback like the Rover. It might have been cooler in summer if it had been a hatch with a second rear curtain window like the XM

CX designer: Robert Opron

Rover designers: David Bache & Charles Spencer "Spen" King

reference: Wikipedia

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

FYI

Robert Opron was also responsible for designing;

DS face lift 1967
    SM
    Renault Alpine A310
    Renault Fuego
    Renault 25
    Alfa Romeo FZ
    & others

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IE23 View Post
    FYI

Robert Opron was also responsible for designing;

DS face lift 1967
    SM
    Renault Alpine A310
    Renault Fuego
    Renault 25
    Alfa Romeo FZ
    & others
    Others? How can you relegate the GS to 'others'?

I can also cut Spen King some slack. He was the one responsible for the original Range Rover.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    The CX and Rover SDI 3500 of the time had similar body shapes (same designer?). One criticism I did read of the CX was that it was not a hatchback like the Rover. It might have been cooler in summer if it had been a hatch with a second rear curtain window like the XM

Both Beutler and Caruna offered a hatch conversion. . .
    CitroŽn CX

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Yep. Of all the CX saloons I've owned, driven and worked on, for many reasons the 2200 Pallas 4-speed is the pick of the bunch for me. The later ones were certainly built alot better, went faster and had more goodies, but they just don't feel as good to drive, as nice to work on, and of course they lost the original mid-70s styling (including the SM interior dome lamp just to name one .

The only things I might do to improve my 2200 if I can be bothered is put in a different trans. and/or a modern MPFI system (that doesn't obstruct the rocker cover if such is possible) as well as a thermodynamically-engineered and modern HVAC system rather than the inadequate trial-and-error approaches we've all seen before. That said, the Weber and 4 speed do still work pretty well together, and the original HVAC system works well enough with the right combination of a few simple mods, the right clothing and weather.

Unfortunately, for me, my idea of the perfect CX was never made, so I figure a modified early model would be the best way to get it. See how I feel once mine is back in regular use as the factory intended. There's only 24 hours in the day and life is short...

If I had another one of me, I'd have grabbed that one on Ebay for sure.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    Harvey.

Currently: Xantia SX wagon, C4 Exclusive, CX2200 Pallas, Xantia Activa, BMW K75C.
    Previously: Xantia Activa (the other one), Daihatsu Sirion, Xantia Activa (the other other one), Suzuki Alto, Xantia SX wagon (the other one), CX GTi, Xantia VSX CT Turbo, Honda CB250T, CX2400 Pallas.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    ... and life is short...

If I had another one of me, I'd have grabbed that one on Ebay for sure.
    Was it not Billy Connolly who quipped that life was the longest thing you will ever do?

The number of lifetimes available is quite limited!

Fellow Frogger!

I'm planning to live to about 110. So far, so good

Thread Information