• 6 Post By gerry freed
  • 1 Post By DanielBendigo
  • 1 Post By Boyracer
  • 2 Post By Kim Luck
  • 2 Post By gerry freed
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen

Thread: Phasing out the C5

Default Phasing out the C5

One of Tavares's strategies for improving profitability at PSA is to reduce the model diversity. Only 8,000 C5 were sold in 2014 and in line with this approach, the 2015-16 range is being cut to two models both diesel with various levels of trim. These will be the last of the line. Hydractive suspension remains a choice see:-
    CitroŽn C5 BlueHdi 150 et 180 (2015) : prix et fiche technique - L'argus

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Those claimed fuel consumption figures are truly amazing ... surely too good to be true ! All from the change to Bluetec stuff me wonders ???

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    One of Tavares's strategies for improving profitability at PSA is to reduce the model diversity. Only 8,000 C5 were sold in 2014 and in line with this approach, the 2015-16 range is being cut to two models both diesel with various levels of trim. These will be the last of the line. Hydractive suspension remains a choice see:-
    CitroŽn C5 BlueHdi 150 et 180 (2015) : prix et fiche technique - L'argus
    Welcome back, from Tassie I mean! You barely stopped despite coming half way around the world! I've worked out where Lauderdale is, so now to persuade my better half that a Tassie holiday is in order. Might take a couple of years, but the Panhard will be well and truly going by then. Hope you are both settling in well.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tassie is a breath of fresh air after being victims of French bureaucracy. I have returned able at last to speak French and with a good sourcing of French auto industry news so I will continue, as long as members are interested, to short circuit the manufacturers' marketing spin doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Tassie is a breath of fresh air after being victims of French bureaucracy. I have returned able at last to speak French and with a good sourcing of French auto industry news so I will continue, as long as members are interested, to short circuit the manufacturers' marketing spin doctors.
    I'm definitely interested.
    danielsydney likes this.

So my next car might still be a hydractive Citroen!
    Ronhic likes this.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Whatever PSA make, they should make them all the same, and make them black. Someone else made a fortune from this philosophy.....
    danielsydney and JohnW like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Please do just that Gerry.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Whatever PSA make, they should make them all the same, and make them black. Someone else made a fortune from this philosophy.....
    A century ago. Things have moved on since then and now we have the DS3 whose colour combinations are more important than the quality of transport.
    danielsydney and Clogzz like this.

1000+ Posts

I had a ride in a new Lexus today. This thing (designed by Japs for Yanks!) has a front cabin and dashboard that could have come from Citroen in days of yore.

Phasing out the C5-lexus-is300h.jpg

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I had a ride in a new Lexus today. This thing (designed by Japs for Yanks!) has a front cabin and dashboard that could have come from Citroen in days of yore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lexus-IS300h.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	70861

Exactly right! And by my reckoning it is also not long till the tide turns and the Germans and Japanese start adopting hydropneumatic and other systems once comfort is back in vogue. Whilst Peugeot can't wait to get rid of it........ Biggest mistake PSA will ever make.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

How about a Citroen bicycle! They could incorporate those Michelin airless wheels. And a couple of little spheres...

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lexus-IS300h.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	70861
    That looks like a copy of a C6 interior.. very close anyway. So, they're going to phase out the C5... I'm glad I got mine when I did. Even though it's only a series one , it's a V6 petrol one, I just never wanted to go diesel. This one is Black... it has everything I've ever wanted in a car, it's smooth, quiet, powerful, comfortable, hydraulic, really economical, has everything I want...and cost me BUGGER all to buy with new tyres, new battery, new hoses, new timing belt, everything done. Couldn't be happier.

Black Model T, Just another Urban Myth.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burgjoh View Post
    Black Model T, Just another Urban Myth.
    No, it's not. Ford, in a never ending quest for more volume, decreed in I think 1911 that from that time forward, all Ts were to be black. The reasoning was brilliantly simple: Japan Black, which was a type of enamel took less time to dry than the more traditional lacquers and was easier to apply. By happy chance, it was also considerably more durable. The time to finish a car was cut from several days to just a few hours. The cost went down commensurately, helping to reach another goal- steadily ever dropping prices.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    No, it's not. Ford, in a never ending quest for more volume, decreed in I think 1911 that from that time forward, all Ts were to be black. The reasoning was brilliantly simple: Japan Black, which was a type of enamel took less time to dry than the more traditional lacquers and was easier to apply. By happy chance, it was also considerably more durable. The time to finish a car was cut from several days to just a few hours. The cost went down commensurately, helping to reach another goal- steadily ever dropping prices.
    For such a nasty piece of work, Henry Ford was pretty astute in his earlier days. Not for him the mantra of cut back labour costs, cut back labour costs, we'll all be ruined if we don't cut back labour costs! Pay them more and they'll spend more, maybe even buy cars, and by golly he did and so did they!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Banned

I can see the DPO/AL4 Trans is a potential time bomb especially with a 6 year warranty.

So the best business move is to walk away whilst the financial damage is at a minimum. At least reduce the future risk. And introduce a new vehile at the same time..

JBN

Maybe getting rid of hydraulics is not such a bad idea. I am on my third alternator on the Xantia, the previous two having been drowned by LHM from the HP pump situated right above it.

Last week my wife rang me from Padstow where the battery finally died after no charge. Fortunately, she has always been lucky in finding a suitable spot to park when any of the Citroens we have owned has decided to have a rest. There is a new auto electrician near me. I remember him from years back when he overhaul a BX alternator (died of old age, not LHM as it was situated above the HP pump). He was surprised that I was still driving Citroens. He couldn't get a new regulator and he couldn't even get a new alternator for the Xantia. Eventually he use the regulator out of an Astra or some such. He was less than impressed how difficult it was to remove the alternator from the Xantia.

Today he rang to say "That thing that you call a car is ready to go." I paid him in cash. He asked "When are you going to put it on eBay?" Some people...

Still, I am glad I am not in charge of PSA. Must be like standing at the Gap, plucking up courage on when to go.

John

Hi John,
    when I first got my Xantia about 7 I/2 years ago, LHM did leak from the HP pump just where the HP Pipes are fitted. I replaced the o ring and it still leaked. I ended up wrapping it all up using teflon tape. That stopped it. It never leaked again. I think the amazing ride with the hydraulics was worth the little extra effort involved in owning and maintaining it.
    cheers...

1000+ Posts

When the C5 phased out the Xantia, a small improvement was made - the hydraulic pump was moved to the side of the engine bay. LHM went too. At least on the common 2.0 diesels, alternators aren't too hard to get at either.

Thread Information