Newly acquired Big Six.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Newly acquired Big Six.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Newly acquired Big Six.

I have, for a lot of years, wanted to own a large bodied Traction again. I had a 1951 Normale when I was a young bloke but it passed on like so many other good cars. Yesterday I acquired a 1951 Big Six, not a goer but I hope it soon will be. The most immediate problems are to find an exhaust manifold, as that is missing, and also the water manifold that attaches to the side of the block and feeds the water pump.

I know I can buy a new exhaust manifold but I hoped that there may have been a used one somewhere out there in the community, or ďHeaven ForbidĒ, a set of extractors. What are my chances ?

Advertisement
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Do not muck around with S/H units/ Firstly they are rarer than hens teeth, and secondly they will more than likely exhibit the beginnings of the cracking problem.
    Check out CTA in Holland! They have reproduction manifolds for sale. They are supposed to
    be less prone to cracking than the originals!
    Pay the money and save the worry!
    CTA Service
    Last edited by gerrypro; 16th June 2015 at 05:56 PM.
    Cheers Gerry

Congratulations! Such a rare traction - quite a find. Good luck with the restoration, it would be great to see some pics of the car.

Tim

Congratulations Allen - well done...

x2 for pictures...

Is this going to be a rolling restoration...? Any chance of getting it to the Grand Display this year...?

Cheers,

Mark...
    Jinandfonic likes this.

I agree with Gerry. being an owner of 2 big 6 cars 2nd hand exhaust manifolds are usually cracked. Bite the bullet and buy it new. They are a fiddle getting the inlet and exhaust to line up correctly but in the end it is worth the trouble.
    Congrats though. Big 6's are a terrific machine.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    I agree with Gerry. being an owner of 2 big 6 cars 2nd hand exhaust manifolds are usually cracked. Bite the bullet and buy it new. They are a fiddle getting the inlet and exhaust to line up correctly but in the end it is worth the trouble.
    Congrats though. Big 6's are a terrific machine.
    Bill
    !Bill, The solution to manifold alignment is to :-
    Bill, The solution to manifold alignment is to :-
    1. jig it up on a spare head for the initial tightening of the hot spot screws.
    2. Take it to an engine works and get them to plane the head to manifold surface of the manifold assembly to ensure perfect alignment. ( should only need a very fine cut to make the surfaces perfectly aligned)
    3. Do not over tighten the nuts on the manifold fixing studs so that the assembly can expand and contract properly without inducing stresses.
    4. Use the original Copper faced gaskets that allow this expansion movement to occur!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

To answer your question Mark, it will be a rolling restoration as I don’t want it to interfere with the resto. on the Legere. The major work will be the manifolds and the brakes. It seems to be fairly free of rust and pretty straight. It is a car that has been around here in Queensland for years. I’ll be trying to get it back on the road ASAP. The exterior screams PATINA, the reaction it will get will be interesting. If it does get to the Grand Display it will be on a trailer’

Thanks fellas for you input and interest, it is greatly appreciated. It helps in those moments when you ask yourself “WHAT HAVE I DONE”

Yes, well you've done the best thing you possibly could have done. It's a triumph! Get that camera out & post 'em up. Sounds like and amazing car.

tim

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    !Bill, The solution to manifold alignment is to :-
    Bill, The solution to manifold alignment is to :-
    1. jig it up on a spare head for the initial tightening of the hot spot screws.
    2. Take it to an engine works and get them to plane the head to manifold surface of the manifold assembly to ensure perfect alignment. ( should only need a very fine cut to make the surfaces perfectly aligned)
    3. Do not over tighten the nuts on the manifold fixing studs so that the assembly can expand and contract properly without inducing stresses.
    4. Use the original Copper faced gaskets that allow this expansion movement to occur!
    Gerry,
    I've already solved the problem. 2 running motors! lol

No Problems Bill. That was put there for the benefit of all
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Newly acquired Big Six.-out-barn..jpgNewly acquired Big Six.-new-home.jpg
    Got it home today. Found that I have plenty to do to get it on the road but still happy with the purchase.

I look forward to your progress reports and perhaps a few piccies!
    Cheers Gerry

Looks fantastic, and original. Congratulations.

Tim

Fellow Frogger!

Hello Allen,
    Glad you got the grand car safely home. If at all possible, it would make the All French Day even more special if you could bring it along on a trailer.

David from NSW is bringing long time enthusiast, Peter Wylde, along, who knows the history of many Big sixes
    My 1950 Big 6 would be identical I'd say.

If you go down the track of a new exhaust manifold and for some silly reason it would be economical to buy two I would be interested. Mine has extractors which make it run rough when the engine is cold. We made up a shield to direct the heat onto the inlet manifold which has eased the situation but to go back to original is always the way to go. I enjoy the car immensely and so will you.

I've attached a pic of my motor showing extractors. At this stage we hadn't yet made up the heat shield.

So all the best in the time ahead. John Paas.

Newly acquired Big Six.-big-6-5.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newly acquired Big Six.-56humberbig6-big15marong11.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by AllenM View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Out of the barn..jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	70921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New home.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	70922
    Got it home today. Found that I have plenty to do to get it on the road but still happy with the purchase.
    Well your starting with a lot more car than I had to start with. Nice car.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Remember Allen, pics as the car unfolds. There's a story, and we all want to revel in it.

I think the closest I'll ever get to a 15-6 is the Heller 1/8 kit. The 6 cylinder cars are pretty rare here in the States.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Had time today to have a good look at it. There is a small amount of rust at the back of the boot which you can only see from underneath. A broken door hinge and door catch striker, rack boots to replace. Thought I was going well until I found what you can see in the photo. It has been welded before and it would appear that the motor was not removed to get it off. The two self-tapper screws through the firewall would be a clue as to how it was done. Carpet out tomorrow to find out. There could be a storey in this alone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newly acquired Big Six.-ring-gear.jpg  

Had time today to have a good look at it. There is a small amount of rust at the back of the boot which you can only see from underneath. A broken door hinge and door catch striker, rack boots to replace. Thought I was going well until I found what you can see in the photo. It has been welded before and it would appear that the motor was not removed to get it off. The two self-tapper screws through the firewall would be a clue as to how it was done. Carpet out tomorrow to find out. There could be a storey in this alone.
    I may have a spare one of those. I'll have a look and let you know. If i do have one it'll be much to dear for you to buy so I guess i'll have to give it to you.
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Get thee to the gym, build up those arms and "CRANK the bastard". Did you get her to fire up today ?? Think of the noise and the neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    Get thee to the gym, build up those arms and "CRANK the bastard". Did you get her to fire up today ?? Think of the noise and the neighbours.
    I"ve cranked the bastard often. Fires up first compression every time.

Fellow Frogger

The ring gear carrier could have the original castellated nut holding it on, for which you need a special tool. Or you change it to an aftermarket large hex nut and use a large socket. There should also be some locking tabs. An access hole in the firewall would be to allow the special carrier nut to be tightened.
    Last edited by David S; 22nd June 2015 at 12:19 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

By tomorrow night I hope to have answers to your questions. Bill, I'll get back to you as soon as I know. It has obviously been off before so I'm hoping that it has a hex nut. Many thanks to you all for your interest. Allen.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Ok, I'll bite What is that? It doesn't look like the flywheel, does it run a ring gear on the front of the crank

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Ok, I'll bite What is that? It doesn't look like the flywheel, does it run a ring gear on the front of the crank

seeya,
    Shane L.
    It looks to me like some type of thrust bearing support frame. Unconventional or very old school.

Fellow Frogger

It's the ring gear carrier that has broken. The flywheel and clutch are at the other end, so this is just for carrying the starter ring gear and a rubber/metal damper. It slips onto the end of the crankshaft via a keyway and if the nut comes loose, the crank endfloat goes out of specification. Don't try to run it as is.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information