• Register
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mberry
  • 3 Post By mberry
  • 2 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: DS heater valve repair?

Default DS heater valve repair?

Has anybody repaired the DS heater valve? I understand the seal goes and the valve leaks. Assuming this is the problem can the valve seal just be replaced thus fixing the heat leak. I know the whole valve assembly can be replaced easily enough for $170.00 but if a new seal would do the trick I think I would happily try that first....... Think this may have been why the 1970 was so much hotter in summer than the 69.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Some of them have a waxstat type unit inside it that is also linked to a Bourdon tube and is meant to regulate the temperature of water passing the heater core. Nice idea in theory, but if that's no good or the plastic body is brittle, changing the seal will not bring it back to work as intended. Most people have no great need for the heater and can just bypass the core with a piece of scrap tube. Cheapskates might be able to adapt a cheaper part with simple manual operation as used on some UK cars of the 1960's, similar to the Jaguar MkII style.

Check out this site for heater control valve ideas

Metrix W0133-1903396 Heater Valve | Auto Parts Warehouse

I had two valves broken due to the plastic becoming brittle. A friend had a tinker and replaced the broken pieces with poly fittings. One he was able to thread and attach. THe other required some heat resistant adhesive that was used to bond the replacement part in place.

Prior to this I used a 6" piece of aluminium tube to bypass the heater matrix.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Thank you gentlemen. Wishful thinking on my part, will get new valve unit and replace old unit, not that I really use the heater, but will maintain originality.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    Thank you gentlemen. Wishful thinking on my part, will get new valve unit and replace old unit, not that I really use the heater, but will maintain originality.
    Useless junk only lasted 40 years Colin Smith has just been through this. . . hopefully you'll get another 40 years Michael
    Citroen DS Restoration

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thanks Chris,
    yes 40 years is pretty good, experience tells me not to expect anything like that from repro heater valve.

Fellow Frogger

I suspect it might be a good idea to add a steel backing plate to stop the plastic fitting from bending when it's bolted to the heater core. It doesn't seem all that rigid.

The foam cushioning my heater matrix has powdered into dust. Will ordinary foam stand the heat or is it special foam?
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    The foam cushioning my heater matrix has powdered into dust. Will ordinary foam stand the heat or is it special foam?
    I would think an ordinary, like a soft or open cell foam would dry out and crumble away in a short time. Something like a rubber-based padding- like the material used for mouse pads- would be the ticket.

Do you have any of the original material at all to gauge against? Besides the dust, I mean.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

No unfortunately. I'll try sacrificing an old mouse mat and see what happens. I was more concerned about it melting.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Default my lucky day

Went hunting for a spare in the shed. Just a vague feeling I may have had a spare stashed.
    Was fortunate to find it, after cleaning and testing, it works, and seals, as far as I can tell.
    Unsure what kind of pressure it may be subject to, but, certainly worth refitting and testing in the car.

Now I will disassemble the one from the car and see if I can repair. It's responded well to cleaning, just not sure it is sealing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS heater valve repair?-heater-valve.jpg  

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Went hunting for a spare in the shed. Just a vague feeling I may have had a spare stashed.
    Was fortunate to find it, after cleaning and testing, it works, and seals, as far as I can tell.
    Unsure what kind of pressure it may be subject to, but, certainly worth refitting and testing in the car.

Now I will disassemble the one from the car and see if I can repair. It's responded well to cleaning, just not sure it is sealing.
    The pressure won't be great. No more than system pressure, which IIRC is only 4lbs.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Subjected pressure will be no more than the pressure rating of the radiator cap Mike.

John

All seems well with the replaced heater valve, gave it a good road test last night with no problems. Having been through this exercise I'm taking the small radiator in for a recond. From now on as a matter of maintenance I will flush the heater radiator and clean/descale the heater valve whenever I flush the cooling system. Hopefully that will ensure the longevity of the heater valve. Can't believe I didn't tend to this earlier, had some very hot trips over the summer......

Default The offending seal

It doesn't look particularly good, but I suspect a new seal can be made. The mechanical mechanism still serviceable. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS heater valve repair?-img_8073.jpg   DS heater valve repair?-img_8077.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Before you refit it .... make sure you car still has the correct 4psi radiator cap there.... Most have been replaced with whatever is available at the local auto store. 11+psi may well cause the tap to leak where it didn't at 4psi

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hotrodelectric and mberry like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

Is there any change when the tube is immersed in hot/cold/hot water? You should be able to get some idea as to whether it might self-regulate when installed or whether it is stuck.

David, with the one that I have opened up, it was certainly sticking. The rubber seal seems to have deteriorated markedly. I don't expect the heat is moving the plastic tube, it's that extremely hard style plastic that the blower housing is made from. I have a price coming tomorrow for a new seal made from silicone, hopefully doesn't cost more than a poor quality repro. heater valve.

Thread Information