anyone had any problems with bx gear linkage
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: anyone had any problems with bx gear linkage

Default anyone had any problems with bx gear linkage

infrequently, my BX 16v will loose gear linkage. after driving for about 15 minutes the gears stiffen up heavily and i loose connection with the rod on the ball bearing. i have given the gear box a transmission oil change but the problem lies with the actual physical linkage. any ideas or troubleshoots to fix this?

Advertisement

Dismantle, inspect, repair/replace.

There's a chance one or several of your linkages have some issues. Usually the plastic ball/socket connectors fail and just drop off, leaving you with just a couple of gears. Yours could have an issue with the linkage at the bottom of the gear lever - you need to remove the exhaust heat shielding to access it properly (and this is easier with the exhaust dropped).

If you haven't had the linkages at the gearbox end replaced already, I recommend the Baker BM kit.

Youngblood,
    I have a couple of spare BX gearbox linkage rods. Don't know which specific ones they are but who knows we might just fluke the one you need. I'm in Frankston so not too far from you. Send me a PM.
    Dave.
    83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    01 Renault Scenic

Fellow Frogger!

When the white plastic gear linkages became brittle on our valver, our mechanic fashioned alternatives from bonnet /boot gas strut ends. Seems to have worked. Might be worth investigating.

Thread Information