Traction Distributor Looseness
  • Help
    Ram

Icon7 Traction Distributor Looseness

Recently assisting a country CCCQ member with an engine rough running problem found bolt holding the distributor body clamp to the block to be loose. Tightened it up and problem fixed. Distributor was firm
    Some 2 months later but not many km later car broke down? Problem broken distributor spring, a fellow club member acquired a Lucas distributor and I set out to fix the problem. On inspecting the car, I found the there was a significant visual difference in the designs of the distributor fitted to the Lucas unit that I had with me. Namely points, condenser , the location of the coil- points wire terminal and the advance -retard parts. So I could not simply fit a new set of points. T
    he Distributor body looked similar, advance & retard mechanisms and leads were changed over and I fitted the Lucas unit , but....
    With the hold down bolt and Adv -Retard clamp tight the Lucas distributor is unacceptably loose in the crankcase housing .
    Ignition Timing and time available was a problem as while I had brought a timing pin the car did not possess a crank handle. I was able to confirm that I had a good spark at each lead.
    Problems remain:-
    1/ Is a large O-ring fitted to TA distributors body?
    2/ There is an adapter plate bolted to the crankcase, into which the distributor slides. Is there a different part for a LUCAS distributor vs Ducellier?
    3/ Does anyone in SE QLD have a TA crank handle for sale ( I will find a way if not)
    Thanks
    Ram

Advertisement

No O ring is fitted!
    Lucas fixing plates are specific to Lucas distributors. There are several variations!
    I am not is SE QLD and no I do not have a crank handle for sale. BTW Slough cranks and Paris cranks are different!
    Cheers Gerry

Ram

Thanks Gerry,
    I found a crank that I think belonged to the car in parts that the previous owner left with relatives. So will try it Wednesday when I go to Bundaberg. Thanks for the advice on the adapter plates & o-ring situation. I had a look at a French Lt15 in Gayndah yesterday. It had looseness in the adapter plate. We might have to make up an adapter. Unfortunately I didn't get the ID plate details last week. This is a UK built car. All the best Ram

Hi Ram, Distributors are never a tight snug fit in the sleeve that is retained in the block by the lower part of the mounting plate. They need to be able to rotate freely in order to use the manual advance and retard control on the dash. Some earlier Lucas distributors also had an external vacuum control that rotated the whole distributor. Later ones had a vacuum advance that only turned an inner portion of the contact point plate!
    However to reduce oils wetness around the distributor it might be possible to fit an O ring, as long as it did not make the unit too stiff to turn. Some one could machine an O ring groove for you on the distributor mounting shaft. I have never seen this done!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information