• 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 2 Post By David Cavanagh

Thread: CX 2200 without power steering

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default CX 2200 without power steering

(I still haven't picked it up)

Advertisement

Could the incredibly heavy steering on this car be improved by fitting it with the insanely expensive original tyres which were thinner than modern ones? When I drove it, I was afraid some part of the steering might break and found it difficult to believe that it would be released to the public with steering that heavy .
    Still looking forward to driving it everyday. I could use some upper body strength....

I have driven a CX2200 without power steering and it was not as heavy as I imagined it would be. It was quite manageable and precise. Could it be that there is an issue with either the inflation of the tyres or the steering geometry?
    Heavier than the powered version - but not incredibly so.
    If the front end check out OK just think of the gym fees you will save.
    Regards.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

It doesn't feel that heavy when underway but, for parking or other manoeuvring, it is far heavier than a Hillman or Morris. There is nothing wrong with it - I checked the whole car out comprehensively. Just a very slight hardly noticeable front end shake at or above 110Klm. A slightly worn knuckle - not worth worrying about at this stage. It is an absolute hoot to drive.... Hope to have it next month

Hmmm - most cars will feel heavier than a Hillman or a Morris. I also have a 1933 R-R Phantom that weighs just under 3 tonnes so I guess heavy steering is relative!

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I will give you 15 qud for the motor

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    (I still haven't picked it up)

Could the incredibly heavy steering on this car be improved by fitting it with the insanely expensive original tyres which were thinner than modern ones? When I drove it, I was afraid some part of the steering might break and found it difficult to believe that it would be released to the public with steering that heavy .
    Still looking forward to driving it everyday. I could use some upper body strength....
    Good ol' Armstrong power steering.

Not so much needing the insanely expensive tires, but check to make sure the aspect ratio and the tread width is correct. Inflate them properly. Just be thankful you aren't running Michelin TRX.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    It doesn't feel that heavy when underway but, for parking or other manoeuvring, it is far heavier than a Hillman or Morris. There is nothing wrong with it - I checked the whole car out comprehensively. Just a very slight hardly noticeable front end shake at or above 110Klm. A slightly worn knuckle - not worth worrying about at this stage. It is an absolute hoot to drive.... Hope to have it next month
    I tell my wife off if she moves the wheels without some movement (back or forth) of the vehicle with power steering!

Maybe you should do the same.

As for the size of the tyres, the more important issue is tyre compound with the correct pressures (of course).

Regards,

JAJEA

[QUOTE=JAJEA;1359469]I tell my wife off if she moves the wheels without some movement (back or forth) of the vehicle with power steering!

We treat our C5 ll (R) the same however no matter which make of tyre we replace with, we never get over 30 k from them. Same for the person we bought the car from.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

much lower profile wider tyres I have found can reduce considerably the steering effort. Eg: A Renault Fuego with standard TRX's and no power steering has heavy steering. Fitting a set of 16" rims and low profile sticky rubber massively reduces the steering effort. No idea why, but it does. Probably lack of sidewall flex in the tyre.

I'd convert it to a powered rack myself .... It's the only way to go

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I wondered what Citroen were thinking when they released the 2200 super in 1976. 1975 was the last of the D's. Can you imagine anyone with a DS23 being told this is it's replacement.
    JohnW and Jinandfonic like this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I wondered what Citroen were thinking when they released the 2200 super in 1976. 1975 was the last of the D's. Can you imagine anyone with a DS23 being told this is it's replacement.
    Originally the CX was to have been released to fill a gap on the market line up between the DS and the GS. Events later changed and the CX became the DS replacement! Blame those bloody bean counters at Peugeot!
    Cheers Gerry

Yeah. I remember test driving a non-power steered CX and then buying a GS Pallas back in 1975. Then we bought a CX2000 manual steer wagon for spares and ended doing it up. If you wanted to move the steering wheel during parking, you had to be on the move slowly. More air pressure in the tyres might help.

I retro-fitted a diravi steering system to ours and now I think it lives in Tassie - but thats another story.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Last edited by Ken W; 14th June 2015 at 08:28 PM.

Thread Information