Berlingo temperature gauge
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: Berlingo temperature gauge

Tadpole

Default Berlingo temperature gauge

Hi all,

First time on this forum. My name is Adrian. I'm from Melbourne and I just purchased a 2006 manual berlingo with a 1.4l petrol engine. I bought it from a used car dealer so would like to get any potential issues fixed before the warranty runs out.

One potential issue is the operating temperature the van. Normally, I'd assume it should sit on 90 and hardly move. My van, however, goes to about 98 then drops to just below 90.

I do get a faint smell of coolant coming out of the vents.

Advertisement

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and hello again,

Adrian

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chef_adrian View Post
    Hi all,

First time on this forum. My name is Adrian. I'm from Melbourne and I just purchased a 2006 manual berlingo with a 1.4l petrol engine. I bought it from a used car dealer so would like to get any potential issues fixed before the warranty runs out.

One potential issue is the operating temperature the van. Normally, I'd assume it should sit on 90 and hardly move. My van, however, goes to about 98 then drops to just below 90.

I do get a faint smell of coolant coming out of the vents.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and hello again,

Adrian
    Hi Adrian and welcome to the forum. The guy you want to talk to is Addo, he can give you the straight answer. Just to try and answer your questions: the 98' is not too unusual for newer cars. It's used as an aid to help reduce emissions. Over here, 215'F or so is not unusual at all. The drawback is a modern cooling system has far less room for error. You have to maintain it. Ignore servicing and repairs at your peril.

One thing I would have checked is the heater core. You should be getting nothing like that signature smell through the vents. I know this is counter-intuitive to what I just said, but a small leak depressurizes the system, making it more vulnerable to overheating. I would recommend going to a mechanic you can trust and have the system pressure checked.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

It's unusual to have the head gasket fail on these, but not unknown. The coolant smell is a leak in the heater assembly usually, it's not physical corrosion failure unless hard water has been used. Two O-rings "petrify" with age and lose their ability to seal. The catch is, whether you replace them or the whole heater core, it's a dash-out job so several hours for a mechanic and helper to turn around.

With the heat fluctuation, first bleed the system after identifying all bleed points including those on the heater feed pipes and cylinder head. A LOT of air will be trapped in most cases. If this does not resolve, I suggest checking the radiator for oily sludge - a sign of oil (40-50PSI) escaping into the water (14PSI) at the head-block interface, which causes waxy blockages to the coolant flow until they "melt" with heat and circulate. Fan assemblies were revised to include a slave relay (conspicuous grey block) on some models around this time, the symptom here is generally an overheating warning light - not a gauge variation.
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Thread Information