Keys
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Keys

Default Keys

Hi All,

When I purchased my 2nd hand 2003 C5 in Nov 2011, it come with only one Key.
    The seller said that`s the only one he had when he bought it.

Tell me is it common that Citroen`s come with only one key or has one been lost?
    I left my one key in my pocket one time, went thru the washing machine .
    But alas after opening up and drying in the sun it still worked for me .

When I renewed my NRMA membership this year I have taken out the option of key replacement
    in an emergency. But why do I have that feeling that if I should loose my one key and I call for help
    the answer I will get "but it`s a Citroen" cant get them keys .

So I guess it`s wise to be getting a spare now before that day comes .

Any advice from fellow Frogers on the best way to go about it.

Cheers Keith

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunk View Post
    Hi All,

When I purchased my 2nd hand 2003 C5 in Nov 2011, it come with only one Key.
    The seller said that`s the only one he had when he bought it.

Tell me is it common that Citroen`s come with only one key or has one been lost?
    I left my one key in my pocket one time, went thru the washing machine .
    But alas after opening up and drying in the sun it still worked for me .

When I renewed my NRMA membership this year I have taken out the option of key replacement
    in an emergency. But why do I have that feeling that if I should loose my one key and I call for help
    the answer I will get "but it`s a Citroen" cant get them keys .

So I guess it`s wise to be getting a spare now before that day comes .

Any advice from fellow Frogers on the best way to go about it.

Cheers Keith
    Yah, even with as tiny little as I know about the C5, I would obtain a spare key and have it programmed to the car. 125.00 or so dollars will save you some considerable grief later on.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

UFO

AFAIK all modern Citroens came with identical two keys and the remote as one unit. Our C4 and C5 have two each and many others have. Any we have leased in France have had two keys on delivery.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

WHILE WE ARE ON THE SUBJECT ,What do people do with there spare key ,keep it at home on a hook ,and hope they loos one close to home ,if you strap chipped key under the car chances are it may be useless when you need it ,iv come to the conclusion to have ,what my locksmith calls a beach key made ,which gains me access to the car but wont start it ,i can have this key ,in a container under the car and the spare chipped key in the car somewhere not obvious ,a van i bought recently came with a card with code which a locksmith can cut a key ,dont know if this applies to cits but you may have this in your paperwork somewhere ,PUGS

UFO

With very recent models and keyless entry and start (not yours) you cannot leave an active key inside the car. It will not lock because it knows you have left the key inside.

The spare keys for our cars is always at home. They get regular use and (in my theory) stay in sync with the car and you know the chip and battery are both still active.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Some very good points here thanks

I have worked through getting exact replacement keys for Xantia/Xsara series 1 and 2 but not the C5. So what I will say may not work for a C5 but could be similar to a Xantia Series 2 which use an X type key that gets cut in two planes. The important thing is to ensure that you have the right type of transponder chip in it.

Best look for a key supplier from the UK that can supply the exact key for your VIN. You may have to send them a picture of your existing key. When you get your key, you will need someone with a Lexia/Diagbox to reprogram all your keys into the BSI computer. To do that, they will need the 4 alphanumeric security code for the BSI that you can only get from PSA although there are some other ways to find this out. My series 2 Xantia came with a credit card type placard that had the security code on it.

Cheers,

Ken W

Thread Information