The irrational appeal of the astonishingly slow car

Advertisement

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Not a 1972 though.........
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Peugeot Boxer Van hired from T.....y, that was manual!
    and bloody good too!

Fellow Frogger!

Well the drawing illustrating the top of the article is not, and neither is the picture of an early ripple bonnet, and it did not look like a US number plate either. I suspect the car driven and the one in the photo are not the same.
    Actually I doubt if the 1972 he drove is actually a 1972 in any event. In order to get around US regulations a lot of later cars (from the 80's) with disc brakes etc are brought in as an earlier model. Often the only early (i.e. 1972) part is the number that is placed on the later car. That is how you find 1960's and 70's Charlestons and Dollys for sale in the US.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Icon6

G'day,
    did he mention 'hyperbole' in the article ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

no no pug206gti, you're thinking of 'superbowl'

It's not a 1972 in the photo because it's not the car he drove. Judging by the numberplates, the car in the Popular Mechanics article belongs to the UK motoring journalist Chris Harris.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oFDacv0hc8
    --------
    Progress is fine, but it's gone on for too long.

[QUOTE=Peter O;1358911]Well the drawing illustrating the top of the article is not, and neither is the picture of an early ripple bonnet, and it did not look like a US number plate either. I suspect the car driven and the one in the photo are not the same.
    Actually I doubt if the 1972 he drove is actually a 1972 in any event. In order to get around US regulations a lot of later cars (from the 80's) with disc brakes etc are brought in as an earlier model. Often the only early (i.e. 1972) part is the number that is placed on the later car. That is how you find 1960's and 70's Charlestons and Dollys for sale in the US.[/QUOTE
    The regulations have changed in US now. Any car over 25 years old can be registered now.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter O View Post
    Well the drawing illustrating the top of the article is not, and neither is the picture of an early ripple bonnet, and it did not look like a US number plate either. I suspect the car driven and the one in the photo are not the same.
    Actually I doubt if the 1972 he drove is actually a 1972 in any event. In order to get around US regulations a lot of later cars (from the 80's) with disc brakes etc are brought in as an earlier model. Often the only early (i.e. 1972) part is the number that is placed on the later car. That is how you find 1960's and 70's Charlestons and Dollys for sale in the US.
    I'd scream at you "DON'T TELL THE FEDS!!", but they had this pegged when Target was importing 2CVs as so-called kits back when the Charleston was new. The only reason you find them like that now is they're stuck with what ever title they were registered under. Stupid thing was the chassis plates- the VINs- were so easy to change out. That led to a lot of cheating and lying by the importers. The Feds would have tolerated the "it's a kit" scam, but the changeout of chassis tags was an absolute no-go felony. That's why several 2CVs here are on a genuine '6x or '7x chassis with everything else new.

The '72 as a '72 isn't impossible. That was before the really draconian safety regs took effect (imagine '75-style 5mph bumpers on a 2CV), and the 2CV engine even here in Peoples Democratic Republik of Kalifornia has remained legal because it was never over 850cc (our statutory limit before smog laws kick in).
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I'd scream at you "DON'T TELL THE FEDS!!", but they had this pegged when Target was importing 2CVs as so-called kits back when the Charleston was new. The only reason you find them like that now is they're stuck with what ever title they were registered under. Stupid thing was the chassis plates- the VINs- were so easy to change out. That led to a lot of cheating and lying by the importers. The Feds would have tolerated the "it's a kit" scam, but the changeout of chassis tags was an absolute no-go felony. That's why several 2CVs here are on a genuine '6x or '7x chassis with everything else new.

The '72 as a '72 isn't impossible. That was before the really draconian safety regs took effect (imagine '75-style 5mph bumpers on a 2CV), and the 2CV engine even here in Peoples Democratic Republik of Kalifornia has remained legal because it was never over 850cc (our statutory limit before smog laws kick in).
    G'day,
    when I was working in a photo lab, we had a sign in the toilet, 'no smoking, if you must smoke, please leave by the hole that will appear in the ceiling'.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Not a 1972 though.........
    I didn't look too carefully at the article. All I saw was "hipster screaming for recognition, thinks he found it by being a snot". What's telling you it's not a '72?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

JBN

When you are at about 30 degrees angle of bank on a roundabout and then exit (resulting in a 60 degree change to be at 30 degree bank in the other direction), the last thing on your mind is the year of manufacture of the car.

I know, because Citroen NEVER had the year of manufacture start with an F and end with a K.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Lighten up, folks! I thought it was quite amusing. And there is no pretence that the photo is of the car driven for the article. It's just a picture of a 2CV. What's wrong with that?

I used to drive R4s. You learn more about driving skills in a 2CV or an R4 than by watching Jez and Rich on the tarmac going sideways in a Supercar. And its still lotsa fun. Just less smoke.

Thread Information