C4 wheel locking Key
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: C4 wheel locking Key

Icon13 C4 wheel locking Key

Hey guys, time has come to do something about the tyres the dealer put on my car to get it roadworthy. TBH the bald ones were probably safer. So sourced a nice set to go on took it to the tyre place and bingo my locking tool has all the pins broken off them.

Now I knew this was not a good thing and the risk of damaging a rim was high without the tool. Ie there is not a lot of room to swing or grind anything. So I hunted around the parts supplier and around ebay and no one appears to have the same one.

I exasperation I went off to the stealership you will not believe the price for one unlocking nut. $112.00 in GST OMG. So I have ordered one, but this should go out as a warning to C4 owners keep an eye on your nut and dont allow anyone ever near it with a rattle gun. Second hand Buyers check yours before you leave the dealer. I bet they wont.

Advertisement

Caught yet again I must be cursed

1000+ Posts

Even better - leave the stupid thing at the dealer's premises and don't take delivery until all the locking bolts have been replaced with standard ones. Who steals Cit wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    EWho steals Cit wheels?
    My thoughts exactly, dealer isnt interested neither is the place that did the wheel rotation about 6 months ago. Now normally he is fantastic and admits its his fault but he says he may have only broken the last pin so its not really his issue. I tell you I love this car but not the $$$ its starting to rack up. Still not as expensive as the old Megane I had.

Ahh the joy continues, because the dealership has changed hands and is now in with the Proton dealer the parts guy is now scrambling for numbers and having a hard time of things. The die grinder is looking more an option than ever

Fellow Frogger

Forget buying a new special socket. If the pins have fallen out, cut some welding rod or a drill bit to replace at least one of them. You can often get them off by hammering home the socket and using a rattle gun to turn them as you push against the wheel. If the dealer has a election of old special sockets lying about, that's often useful as there may be one in there with a couple of pins remaining that line up, then you may be able to beat it onto the bolt head. Replace the special bolts with regular bolts an avoid the hassles in future.

Indeed. Don't even consider putting locking nuts/bolts back on.

Generally the chrome cap confuses most people anyway.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

Neither the C5, C4 or Pug 307 in our family have the original keyed studs on them. For that matter, neither does the D!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Indeed. Don't even consider putting locking nuts/bolts back on.

Generally the chrome cap confuses most people anyway.

Reminds me of the time we were stranded out on the Hume Freeway on our way out of Melbourne for the day a few years back. I was unable to remove punctured tyre on the rear outside of the C5 because of damaged security wheel bolt locking slots (not the actual key socket itself); damaged no doubt by the use of "rattle guns" being used during servicing by experts and or tyre dealers.

After waiting an hour plus for the RACV mechanic to arrive, when he discovered it was the outside wheel he said he is not allowed to touch it despite my offer to drive it well and truly off the road! So, another long wait for the tow truck and after a costly tow fee to get the C5 home (RACV pay for "x" number of kilometres thereafter cash please for each kilometre travelled.

So, the RACV were called for "another" breakdown with the vehicle being in a safer environment - he also could not take it off and hence another tow to a Citroen Dealer (all within RACV's kilometres quota this time).

Citroen Dealer workshop also could not take it off, so off to a exhaust workshop with the expertise of a welder to weld a stud to the damaged security wheel bolt.

So, my hate for rattle guns had been reinforced with that incident (previous issues were simply bloody hard to undo).

The 4 security bolts were replaced forthwith with standard bolts.

Correctly used, the Citroen security key socket is a great idea as the issue is not necessarily who would want to steal our wheels BUT OUR TYRES. Leave your vehicle at shopping centre car park and see if anybody question you for changing a wheel (or 4 for that matter!

Nevertheless, quite happy to take that risk now days with the relatively mundane tyre size on the C5.

Regards,

JAJEA.

PS: Yes, lost a set of new tyres on a Commodore some time back - had not noticed for days.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    PS: Yes, lost a set of new tyres on a Commodore some time back - had not noticed for days.
    You mean someone swapped a complete set of wheels? (with the new tyres fitted)
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    You mean someone swapped a complete set of wheels? (with the new tyres fitted)
    Yes Craig a full set of wheels. (And other parts/trims removed from the company's Commodore at different times.)

The shopping centre was "Highpoint" in Maribyrnong Victoria. It deserved/earned its nick name of "Knifepoint". Thankfully that was in the late 80's. It was so bad that it was losing cliental and had allocated security guard in an enclosed parking area. The socioeconomic standard has improved somewhat nevertheless, I still do not like the place.

So, if I had $400 to $500 tyres on my vehicle - a $2000 set of tyres, I would not replace the security key wheel bolts or nuts if provided.

Regards,

John

Ended up back at the dealer. He was stunned to find out each key is unique to each car therefore the thing had to be made. He went and had a chat with their mechanic and he had a look. Said about 30 mins to get them off they would call me later after the Que had been processed and he got a chance to get them off.

SO dropped car with them and went shopping, get a call around 4.00pm around $75.00 including the new bolts. yay.

Tyres fitted this morning its still noisy in the rear, the Citroen dealer said the bearings tend to go in them early, can anyone confirm this ? Also apparently there are two different types of bearing one which is incorporated in the rear disk and the other looks like a push through type, so if anyone can help me with this also you will at least put a smile back on my face. I did read somewhere these were a little noisy, not sure about that either.

Thanking you in advance

Would agree with replacing locking studs with standard studs. Gosford Citroen lost the special socket, claimed it was in the glove box. I produced the photocopy of their paperwork that showed they had not checked that it was back in the kit. But their copy had written that it was in glove box. The manager had no hesitation in replacing the locking studs with standard studs. I declined his offered to order new special studs from France. I now get excellent service at Pacific Euro in Gateshead.

Thread Information