C4 VTS windscreen replacement - beware of the non-genuine part.
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: C4 VTS windscreen replacement - beware of the non-genuine part.

Default C4 VTS windscreen replacement - beware of the non-genuine part.

G'day all.

The windscreen on our 2008 C4 VTS very suddenly, and noisily, cracked extensively, and horizontally, on the passenger's side, while we were driving normally on a smooth road.

We are covered by windscreen replacement insurance, and we booked the car into O'Briens to have the windscreen replaced. I asked that the genuine part be used, as the car has rain-sensitive auto windscreen wipers, and the windscreen has to have the correct optical properties for the system to work.

However, I was assured that the non-genuine part would be fine, as, believe it or not, a genuine replacement would have to come from France, and this would take quite some time. So I agreed to this course of action, as we needed the car.

Advertisement

O'Brien's service was excellent. The windscreen replacement was carried out quickly and competently, and the car was back on the road.

However, unfortunately, the auto windscreen wiper function now did not work.

I informed O'Briens, and they were great.

They acknowledged their mistake, and immediately arranged for a genuine windscreen from France through the local Citroen dealer.

We drove the car with the incorrect windscreen until the genuine part from France finally arrived some weeks later. O'Briens replaced it quickly at no charge, and the auto windscreen wipers now work perfectly again.

Ironically, the mistake meant that the car was only off the road for the minimum amount of time, as I had a replacement windscreen while awaiting the arrival of the genuine part. I was amazed that a consumable part such as a windscreen was not kept in Australia. This means that if your C4 VTS windscreen needs replacing, your car could be off the road for some time awaiting a replacement from France - unless you are prepared to dispense with the auto windscreen wiper function, and fit a non-genuine replacement.

RobL

It was nice of them to give you a temporary replacement.

Of course, if you realised the price of genuine VTS screen, you'd realise it was not about ordering one in, it's about the cost!

This is also why they probably don't have a genuine one in stock.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    I had to replace the windscreen on my C4 after a stone chip developed into a larger crack/ I used NRMA windscreen insurance who were excellent.
    From my experience, if you are claiming a windscreen on any insurance, they will go for the cheaper non standard glass.
    In my case the NRMA boys brought out the new non standard screen to replace, only to find the mirror attachment was totally different. They then source a genuine screen here in Sydney and fitted that.

Glenn

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

There never has been any question about cost being the primary consideration, and the initial replacement windscreen from O'Briens was fine. The problem is that the auto windscreen wipers only work with the genuine replacement.

I would not have expected O'Briens to keep the genuine article in stock, as there are not that many C4 VTS cars around. When they do need an OEM windscerren, they can order it through a Citroen dealer.

My point was that at the time we required the replacement, the dealer told O'Briens that there were no OEM windscreens in Australia, and they would have to get one from France, which they did. However, it took a long time to arrive.

Surely it is not too difficult for the importer to keep some genuine replacement windscreens on hand in Australia, so people don't have to wait for the part to come from France. Spontaneous windscreen cracking is a known C4 problem.

It's all about after sales service, and supporting the product.

Cheers,

RobL

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

In a C4 I'd be happy with the non standard windscreen. Especially if it stopped those god awful schizophrenic wipers constantly wiping a dry screen. I thought the auto wipers in the C4 sucked big time myself. And you'd constantly "accidently" turn on auto functionality.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Shane,

For the record, the auto windscreen wipers on our C4 VTS have always worked perfectly since we purchased the car in 2008.

There are only two wipers on ours. I guess if yours are schizophrenic, you must have four...

Cheers.

RobL

Yes, I've never had any issues with the auto wipers on the 206, 207 or 208.

The DS3 was too low rent at the time to have the benefit of auto wipers - thanks Ateco.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I wonder if was a C4 sedan thing. The 407 works quite well... But the C4's sure did suck big time. Possibly it's the shape or layout of the sensor in the 4door sedan C4's (I know someone else that had one that HATED the damn auto wiper too).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I`m not a fan of my auto wipers on my C5 either, they seem to go wild for a while then settle down and some times don`t start up again when you need them so I have to turn them on manually.
    I prefer the intermittent wipers on my old Mazda 626 could set them to any speed you like with ease.
    cheers
    Keith

Hi Keith.

As well as the 2008 C4 VTS, we have a 2009 C5 HDi Comfort, and the auto wipers have always worked fine on both cars.

Interesting variation in experiences with the system.

Cheers,

RobL

Are we sure about it being the fault of the glass? And not simply the installation of the rain sensor? Lots of europeans cars out there with auto wipers and I can't imagine they're demanding OE screens.

The Megane will need a screen soon and I given new non genuine screens were so cheap I hadn't bother ticking the windscreen option on the insurance... I imagine genuine Megane screens are as exxy as C4 ones.

It is definitely the optical properties of the glass.

I thoroughly checked that matter through the relevant forums on the Internet, and with my dealer. O'Briens routinely check that the sensor is serviceable when they replace the windscreen, but it's the nature of the light that activates the sensor that is the problem. When they installed the genuine windscreen, it used the same sensor as the car has always had, and it all works fine again. If the Megane does not have rain sensitive auto wipers, go for the non-genuine windscreen, by all means.

Yeah, the Megane has auto wipers and I'd be surprised if the sensor is not the exact same part as the C4.

Hmmm. Wasnt particularly fussed about getting a non metallic screen, but do want the rain sensor working!

Thread Information