Xantia door handle
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Xantia door handle

I needed to remove the external RH front door handle on my 2000 Xantia, to work on the lock barrel. That all went OK, until I came to reinstall the handle... The part of the handle into which the latch activator rod fastens broke, leaving the handle useless.

So I bought a new one on ebay, and set about to install it today, with the perhaps predictable outcome... the same part of the handle - ie where the latch activation rod (not the lock activation rod) fastens - broke again! arghgh!

Has anyone done this installation successfully??

I would appreciate advice as to whether to install the activation rod in its croc clip before installing the handle (which is what I've been doing), or to install the handle with the rod attached, and hope to get the rod into the croc clip during the installation of the handle. Does that query make sense??

I have found (having now wrecked 2 handles) that the leverage placed on that part of the handle during the installation process is just too much for the plastic to bear... Any even mild manipulation of the handle/rod is enough to crack the handle plastic.

Advertisement

Any advice would be much appreciated - I don't want to wreck a third handle. (This cost of this supposedly easy project is rapidly approaching the value of the car!)

Kim
    2000 Xantia, 186,000 Km
    Current: 2013 Citroen DS4, 2000 Xantia 2.0L
    Past: BX (x 2!), 504 Wagon,
    2008 307CC 2.0L Auto

Fellow Frogger

I can't recall how the Xantia handle goes together, but maybe you should try fitting the rod to the handle before inserting it into the door? Test your technique with a busted handle. Also, warming it may help as cold old brittle French plastic is possibly fairly easily broken if forced a little too much. The lock button is also a hassle that I never get on with as it has a very small plastic insert that locks it in the correct position. You need to release it using a pick. If you push it back on with the doors unlocked, it may sit too low and prevent the door locking. That is likely to then cause the central locking to unlock immediately after you try to lock it.

Tadpole

Thanks, David. I will try it again, as you suggest.

Kim
    2008 307CC 2.0L Auto

Fellow Frogger!

Permatex plastic welder epoxy adhesive works well with Citroen plastic bits, car accessory places usually have it. Maybe glue up one of your broken ones to get your technique right. If the joint is where it is invisible leave it for permanent, maybe reinforce the point where it breaks with a spare bit of plastic. However note it is not useful on polythene, polypropylene or ptfe.

Regards

agd123

JBN

Are you having problem with the door lock activator - the lever that when pushed down manually locks the car? In a working Xantia (if that's not an oxymoron) these levers go up or down as the central locking is activated.

John

Tadpole

A quick update just to complete the loop... I actually repaired the new handle I bought (and broke!) - araldite and steel wire to the rescue!

Once I had rethought the procedure, I then reinstalled the repaired handle - without breaking it again!

If you install both the latch activator rod and the lock activator rod onto their respective holes on the handle and then install the combined unit in the door, it all works AOK. Once the handle is installed in the door, you can press the activator rods into their respective clips.

Once you get into the mind of the design engineer, it's quite a simple process, really...

Kim
    2008 307CC 2.0L Auto

Haynes has quite a good procedure for refitting the vertical locking latches after refitting a door card. I have used it quite successfully a few times now.

Ken W

Thread Information