Bush mechanics
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bush mechanics

Default Bush mechanics

First of all, yes, I know it's got nothing to do with CitroŽns.
    But then, it's got nothing to do with French cars anyway, and I don't participate in any Australian forums on bush mechanics, so I thought I'd ask here, since I only read the CitroŽn forum, and... it's Australian.

Years ago, a good friend showed me a VHS of a Bush Mechanics episode where they fixed (among other things) a clutch in the middle of a desert with a piece of wood.
    I wanted to show it to some people, couldn't find it on the web, I asked her if she still had it, she threw it away in one of her countless house-movings.

Now I'm thinking... maybe someone in Australia...

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Fantastic series!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I'm in Pipalyatjara working right now, you should see the cars here! And the roads. And the wrecks. Found a tasty looking HQ 308 motor sitting in a wreck the other day at tip. That would make a D go!
    Bush mechanics-img_4095.jpg
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 4th June 2015 at 10:34 PM.

You can fix a Citroen clutch with wood too.
    Many years ago (~40) the ID (first nose) stranded my Mum in Launceston, no clutch.
    The RACT man was very apologetic, but could do nothing.
    As it was a hot day Mum had bought each of us kids (I was in High School) an icy pole. My brother & I peered under the bonnet and noted that as the clutch was depressed the link between the clutch & the cable would pull off the cable. We jammed it in place with our icy pole sticks and that was good enough to get us home.

I broke the clutch cable on a 1963 Slough ID19 in the rooftop carpark of the Riccarton Mall in suburban Christchurch once. I managed to drive it home (about 35 km) and needed to start it in gear only three times. And one of those was because I stopped at a friend's place on the way home. It's not that hard to change gear without the clutch; truckies do it all the time with Roadranger boxes. After that I always kept a spare clutch cable in the car.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    I broke the clutch cable on a 1963 Slough ID19 in the rooftop carpark of the Riccarton Mall in suburban Christchurch once. I managed to drive it home (about 35 km) and needed to start it in gear only three times. And one of those was because I stopped at a friend's place on the way home. It's not that hard to change gear without the clutch; truckies do it all the time with Roadranger boxes. After that I always kept a spare clutch cable in the car.

Roger
    I got to be quite good at that Roger as both my D Super 5 and my DS23ie 5 Speed were prone to consuming clutch cables. This is why I no longer have a D. I would only entertain another if it were either Auto or BVH. Or better still a really good early long stroker. Their clutch mechanism is much less troublesome! The RH drive translation of the clutch actuation principles employed in the later Ds were at best a cobbled up affair and certainly were under engineered! That bellcrank operating the throw out push rod is laughable!
    Last edited by gerrypro; 6th June 2015 at 09:24 AM.
    Cheers Gerry

I've not heard of anyone re-engineering these - perhaps to an hydraulically slaved arrangement. Why?

Thread Information