The "61 French ID needs some maintenance
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The "61 French ID needs some maintenance

Fellow Frogger!

Default The "61 French ID needs some maintenance

With a "hit and miss" problem with the starter motor, I thought it time I'd better fix a few things. I was hoping to remove the starter without taking off the exhaust manifold and having the ID on the hoist would make it all more visible. With the one pointy bolt removed, I was able to slide the starter back but it hit the engine mount and the exhaust manifold before coming out of the large hole.
    It wasn't going to be that easy!
    The nuts holding the exhaust manifold all came off with a bit of "to and fro" and Inox spray. With my younger brother holding a large flat tyre lever behind the manifold and exherting pressure outward I was able to eventually prise the manifold off, bit by bit using a nylon ended mallet.
    When I unscrewed the two end nuts of the Dulcellior starter motor, and prized off the end plate, I could see that the brushes are very worn down. It looks rather a difficult job to replace these brushes as there is no connection that can be undone to replace these with new ones.
    Looking through my "parts bin" I found one other identical starter motor. The brushes are very good and it "whizzes round" with a burst of 12V. After giving it a thorough clean and a blow with the airgun and light lubrication at the gear end I've installed it; and using some new gaskets, the exhaust manifold is back on.
    My mate "Cookie", suggested that I nip up the nuts and start the engine to heat the exhaust manifold and then tighten to the required torque. It's something to do with the head expanding at a differant rate as the the exhaust manifold. Well that all sounds pretty reasonable.
    I'll finish that job first thing this morning after thawing out after another deep freeze overnight.
    Now for the interesting job. I have some brake fluid on the Driver's Side Brake Disc which indicates that I have a leak from the Brake Caliper.
    I don't look forward to taking the whole front of the car to bits but this job has to be tackled, the sooner the better!
    I gained some new information from the thread that Kazu posted regarding new parts that can now be purchased overseas. This thread is on the Parts for sale/wanted.
    Also for inspiration I found information regarding this subject on Shane's thread -- is this the best project car you have ever seen. Page 17
    Armed with the ID 19 Parts Manual and the instruction manual I'll get stuck in and hopefully get this job done.
    Wish me Luck Michael Paas

Advertisement

Good Luck Michael!

I've had these starter motors - bearing / brushes done three times at various points with no problems. Most recently by a friend, and earlier with Ainesworth and Marks, Carnegie. They even painted it and put their sticker on!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    Good Luck Michael!

I've had these starter motors - bearing / brushes done three times at various points with no problems. Most recently by a friend, and earlier with Ainesworth and Marks, Carnegie. They even painted it and put their sticker on!

Tim
    Hey Tim I still got your English starter in my garage!

Micheal, Replacing break unit is annoying because for normal car, it is not that hard. I found annoying that I have to remove everything from front including front engine transmission support bar. When I did last time, I did not support engine so transmission came lower slightly. I should support engine next time because it makes easier to put bolt back on.
    Shane`s break caliper video definitely helped me to understand how the parking break should operate.
    I think best take your time do proper job and enjoy entire process
    If you need help, let me know!
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Tim. It's good to know that new brushes can be easily inserted into a starter motor. The replacement starter went in well and the exhaust manifold bolted on very nicely.
    Kazu has asked if I have a piece of the exhaust; the one between the exhaust manifold and the early muffler. The flared end that fits over the exhaust manifold tends to "burn away". this usually results in an exhaust leak.
    I suppose that with some good welding, the flare can be added again and the weld ground down to make it smooth again. I'll have a look to see if I can find one. Maybe the "rust bucket" 1960 French ID that shared the paddock in Gaston Saint's (now deceased) paddock has a good one. The parts that have come off that car have been surprisingly good.
    I now have bench space after giving the shed a good tidy-up.
    Yes Kazu, I'll support the engine/gearbox when I get down to the calipers. It's on the hoist, so I'll be able to get underneath it easily.
    If you're reading this wilrex, could you email me on mwfpaas@gmail.com I didn't send you a private message and I'm always in such a rush that I don't have the patience trying to figure out how to do it. I'm pretty hopeless with computers!
    Michael

Fellow Frogger!

Seems like a hefty job. The '48 light 15 here in Brisbane has been running rough so Lance at DS Motors has helped me in getting the car running smoothly with points and adjustments etc. Of course Lance is a guru with Tractions along with D's.
    I have to tell myself that I have to treat the car as an ID as far as the engine and gearbox go because of the conversion done so many years ago and not think traction with starting etc. It goes like a rocket again.
    Good luck with the ongoing work to make your beautiful ID better and better. There are not too many who are devoted to the old ID's. The one in Tassie sold for a good price so it looks like values on ID's are going up as they should.

John.
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 5th June 2015 at 09:19 PM.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

This reminds me of that final scene in "Revenge of the Pink Panther".
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

That red 1960 ID from Tasmania certainly looked nice. Funny, how cars come up out of the blue. I wonder where it went to. I could be wrong, but it looked like it had the rubber "overriders" for want of a better word on the rear bumper bar. Only a minor update, but it makes me wonder how original the car is.
    I found the exhaust pipe with a fairly good flared end Kazu.
    Michael

Thread Information