C5 X7 3.0V6 diesel?
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: C5 X7 3.0V6 diesel?

Default C5 X7 3.0V6 diesel?

I've green considering a replacement for the family truckster and thought a nice secondhand C5 wagon may fit the bill nicely. Maybe the 2.7 V6 diesel as fitted to the Ford Territory but with more herbs courtesy of twin turbos. Or even better the 3.0 litre jobbie with even more grunt. I understand that only the 2.0 is sold now and makes up the vast majority of second hand models on offer, the 2.7 seems rare and the 3.0 seems as rare as rocking horse p..... I have a 2 year old copy of Wheels mag that lists this model as does redbook. Do these elusive beasts exist in Australia or were very very few if any ever sold.

Advertisement

My 2.7 V6 displays more than enough grunt on the open road trips we drive regularly between Bathurst and Brisbane. The 3.0 V6 does seem rare but there are a few about. You may want to check out this one (2010 Citroen C5 Exclusive HDi Sports Automatic MY10) at Continental Cars.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Likewise our 2.7 is going to result in an ''instant loss of licence' during one the trips to Junee. I dont mean to but it just creeps up and up......! I suppose that is why it has cruise and a speed limiter. good luck. I hope you find what you want. Cheers.

The 3.0 litre is a very nice drive.

Having had mostly 4 cylinder compact cars as daily drivers, I am really enjoying the torque and I have to say I have not noticed the difference in my weekly spend on fuel.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

A 3.0 X7 wagon popped up on carsales.com.au about 18 months ago. Low mileage for around $26K, from memory. Quite good value. I've had a carsales email alert for C5 wagons since then and can't recall any others. They must be pretty rare. I've never seen a C6 3.0 for sale either, but I know there are a few about.

There was recently another X7 unicorn advertised - a petrol 2.0 Comfort. Even the 2.0 HDi version feels a bit sluggish...the petrol version must be glacial!

Yeah I'm sure the 2.0 litre turbo diesels are nice, but a quick check of the specs shows it having to motorvate about 1700kgs. For a load lugging wagon I can't see this being a viable option when family trips involving max luggage and occasionally a trailer pop up. The 2.7 and3.0 litre engines seems more a natural fit for easy touring.

1000+ Posts

Here's a review of a 2.0 with a full load in hilly New Zealand 2011 Citroen C5 HDi 2.0 Review - mister-cars.com

My 2.0 car doesn't have any problem with 4 adults and their luggage and steep hills. I don't have a towbar fitted to comment on trailer towing.

I've had both the 2 litre diesel X7 and the 3 litre diesel X7.
    The 3 litre is soooo much more fun to drive. It only uses 0.4l/100km more than the 4 cyl too.
    Overtaking is a blast, it's just amazingly fast.
    It's also geared better than the 4 cyl too. Only revving around 1600rpm @ 100km/h.
    If you can find a 3 litre, grab it. You will not be disappointed!
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

In the older models, I've owned a C5 diesel wagon, (2.0) a 2.0 petrol wagon, and currently a 2.2 HDI wagon.

I have driven my cousin's V6 C5 sedan.

Yup, the V6 is quite a beastie, but the 2.2 is no slouch off the mark either.
    The longer wheelbase will be the better ride. The diesel economy on a long haul is impressive.

Oh, and we used to tow the horse and the float behind the 2.0 diesel with 3 in the car.
    Very comfy at 110kmh... ;-)

I've not owned the later models, just a quick test drive.

Fellow Frogger!

I went from a 2.7 wagon to a 3.0 wagon, first of the C5 2012 updates to hit Australia. 1.0l/100 less fuel than the 2.7 with noticably more grunt/get up and go. Average consumption over 54K is 6.7/100. i've had it down to 5.3/100 on a 300k trip at avg speed of 87kmh. Uses exactly the same amount of fuel from home to Brisbane Airport and return as does our Series II 2.0 HDi hatch - 5.7/100km. The only minor downside for me in Qld is the extra cost of rego, but well worth it for the smoothness and grunt. Best engine I've ever owned, by a country 1.6km!! Oh, and garyk above, C5 wagons and sedans share the same wheelbase. Cheers, Robin, currently in California where I have seen any Citroens yet. Still looking!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hoffmann View Post
    I went from a 2.7 wagon to a 3.0 wagon, first of the C5 2012 updates to hit Australia. 1.0l/100 less fuel than the 2.7 with noticably more grunt/get up and go. Average consumption over 54K is 6.7/100. i've had it down to 5.3/100 on a 300k trip at avg speed of 87kmh. Uses exactly the same amount of fuel from home to Brisbane Airport and return as does our Series II 2.0 HDi hatch - 5.7/100km. The only minor downside for me in Qld is the extra cost of rego, but well worth it for the smoothness and grunt. Best engine I've ever owned, by a country 1.6km!! Oh, and garyk above, C5 wagons and sedans share the same wheelbase. Cheers, Robin, currently in California where I have seen any Citroens yet. Still looking!!
    You should look up Hotrodelectric! He's there.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Our 3.0 sedan eats up the steepest hills on the M1 with no sign of ever needing to change out of 6th gear. Hard to imagine that the motor has been detuned from 600 to 450Nm (to accommodate the transmission)

I believe this is still the fastest C5 (243kph) that Citroen has produced?

Of course, those who have owned/driven know best.

I did try the X7 2.0 and found it pleasant but pretty plain in terms of performance: I prefer my 2005 HDI 2.2 in that regard.

I took a 2.7 X7 for a run, and enjoyed that more. And I also hear that the 3.0 is more fun again.
    But I also hear that the 2.7 and 3.0 are scary when it comes to repairs v/s the 2.0.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b707 View Post
    Yeah I'm sure the 2.0 litre turbo diesels are nice, but a quick check of the specs shows it having to motorvate about 1700kgs. For a load lugging wagon I can't see this being a viable option when family trips involving max luggage and occasionally a trailer pop up. The 2.7 and3.0 litre engines seems more a natural fit for easy touring.
    The 2.0 HDi in my wifes poogoe.... loaded 9x5 trailer full of camping gear. it rattles along in 6th gear and I don't think I've ever yet had change it back to 5th to climb a hill at speed, even towing. The little oil burner is laggy, but it has what ... 320Nm of torque. That's more than a 2.5 litre turbo charged CX.... More than a 4.0 V8 land rover... way more than the 24 valve 3 litre v6 petrol in the XM/Xantia/C5 ...........................

Getting the idea yet The 2.0 will have no problems at all towing your trailer. The only issue is you have to buy a poogoe if you want a proper gearbox

I'd love to have the twin turbo 3.0 HDi though ......... I'd probably put in the battered piece of junk range rover

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    Of course, those who have owned/driven know best.

I did try the X7 2.0 and found it pleasant but pretty plain in terms of performance: I prefer my 2005 HDI 2.2 in that regard.

I took a 2.7 X7 for a run, and enjoyed that more. And I also hear that the 3.0 is more fun again.
    But I also hear that the 2.7 and 3.0 are scary when it comes to repairs v/s the 2.0.
    Have only done 46k so far and, touch wood, nothing to spend on maintenance (other than regular servicing). As evidenced by Robin Hoffmann above, this is a beautiful motor (would want to be, given the resources of Jaguar, Rover, Citroen/Peugeot went into developing it!). And given the motor in the C5 is a de-tuned version of what, say, the Land Rover Discovery uses and the Discovery lugs around more than 40% extra weight, you would have to think the motor will have at least the longevity of the Discovery (for which you will pay much more). Perhaps the transmission will be tested by the additional torque (although it is no more than the current 2.2L)? As for the rest of the car, I can't see extra maintenance?
    Where I have noticed additional cost is in relation to tyres. While it is tempting to go to a cheaper tyre than the Michelin P3's ($330), their excellent performance makes this a difficult decision. It is not even worth thinking about a tyre with a lower speed rating as this can quite easily nullify insurance (including CPT) - if you want to own a car that can go very fast, then I guess this is part of the price you pay. Although our rear tyres have done 45k, the fronts were replaced at 30k and will be doing well to get to 60k on this set. I suppose that if you use the additional torque when accelerating out of roundabouts, corners etc as I do, then you can't complain about tyre longevity - hard to have it both ways.
    Last edited by turnbull151; 31st May 2016 at 08:01 PM.

Thread Information