2005 Citroen C4 - Gearbox trouble
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 2005 Citroen C4 - Gearbox trouble

Hey,
    So my wife loves her little C4, but having replaced the fuse box (faulty relays), clutch, glovebox and a couple of other things in the past 6 months, we now find the gearbox is leaking into the clutch and very noisy in 1st/2nd. Our local mechanic said he thinks at minimum the bearings are shot as there's a bit of free play on the shaft with the clutch removed. He's rung around and only found 1 5spd manual box (2nd hand from a wreckers) for $3000, however it's now at the point where we question the value of sinking more into this car.

Advertisement

Hence my reason for being here. I wondered on the fact the mechanic could only seem to find 1 box in Victoria and thought maybe he was too specific. A VIN search says Gearbox (Characteristics) BVM MA5 / N and a google search suggests that this box is used in a lot of Citroen and Peugeot models however I'm not 100% sure so was wondering if anyone here can confirm that.

I've also seen that this scenario usually suggests the front bearing and guide tube are the issue and can be (carefully) removed and replaced without having to totally dismantle a gearbox. If that's the case, it seems like something I can do myself and save a fortune on, again if anyone can confirm this.

The alternative is to just cut our losses and sell the car to a wreckers as I don't have the time or space to part it out myself. It'd be a shame to see it go, she loves the panoramic roof and console layout, something that was a huge issue when first seeking a car for her.
    Last edited by Dogue; 28th May 2015 at 01:56 PM.

If it is the MA5, then yes, comparatively easy to fix. I recommend a service kit from "One Stop Gearbox Shop", it's about £125 plus £50-ish post (from memory) and will arrive within a few days. There is a Peugeot/CitroŽn official rebuild kit with just a few more oil seals and whatnot but it's also quite a bit dearer.

A rebuild will also see you renewing one of the troublesome rollpins on a selector shaft, where increasing wear adds to shift vagueness.

Delaying the repair will invariably result in complete failure of the box.

1000+ Posts

The MA5 is used on several small-engined PSA vehicles. There's a decent cross section to be found in this fragment of a Saxo manual - http://197.14.51.10:81/pmb/collectio...obile)/05a.pdf

1000+ Posts

To be sure that's what you have, the case looks like this 2005 Citroen C4 - Gearbox trouble-screenshot-15.jpg

PS One of the site sponsors, French Connection, recycles these in Melbourne. Give Dave a ring.
    Last edited by seasink; 28th May 2015 at 03:37 PM.

Fellow Frogger

Unless you want to replace the car (stamp duty, time etc. etc.), the best course of action is a gearbox overhaul and fit new bearings and seals. That job has been done on Berlingos so many times that many mechanics can do it in their sleep. I gather you are already up for the removal labour anyway and the recent clutch is possibly still OK. You have to check for an input shaft bearing that has broken its ball cage and a pinion bearing that's about to eject a roller, which will destroy the C&P.

This thread relates to a C3 Pluriel, but it's also an MA5 gearbox, just with some actuators outside. It may give you a better idea:
    2005 1.6L pluriel 5spd auto gearbox locked in gear

Tadpole

Thanks for the info. Our mechanic was running low on space so put it all back together and I brought the car home. We had originally gone in because we thought the clutch he had installed a month prior was the issue, so he didn't charge for pulling it all apart to inspect his work, just putting it back together.

It's parked at home and wont be used till I either fix it or sell it. A friend nearby has a full host and tools that he's happy for me to tinker about with, so can get the car over and remove the box myself if that seems the best option. Will go through the info and see if I think my "skills" run as far as stripping/rebuilding a box.

1000+ Posts

Getting the gearbox off and back on again well exceeds the time to fix it.

Only if you do a quick fix. A full kit through the box is going to run you pretty much a day when done and dusted.

With a busted gearbox, it's a $200-$500 car. They're intrinsically worth more, so it's worth fixing.

Why not just get a second hand one from Dave Cavanagh? Old one out, new one in.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Why not just get a second hand one from Dave Cavanagh? Old one out, new one in.

Dave
    That's always possible and can be a good option, but you have to remember that there are a number of different MA5 gearboxes out there with at least different C&P ratios and sometimes a different case, so it may take a while to find the correct unit. Also, you'd be fitting a box with partly worn bearings and maybe the developing rivet failure issue unless you know it's been recently overhauled or from a very low mileage car. You might think twice about simply installing a random used unit from, say, a 100K car. Sometimes, used parts can be a false economy.

Thread Information