C-Matic, is it really as bad as some people say?
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: C-Matic, is it really as bad as some people say?

Default C-Matic, is it really as bad as some people say?

At a recent club outing I overheard a blatant comment rubbishing the C-Matic transmission in CX.
    This fellow had a grudge against the car he owned because it refused to proceed whilst stuck in peak hour traffic on the Sydney harbour bridge. He was holding forth on what a piece of rubbish the concept was.
    My experience with C-Matics could not be more different!
    When I commenced the restoration of my car I found that there were numerous faults with the condition of the wiring , the relays, the internal cleanliness of the gear box and torque converter and the solenoid of the electro valve. All of the preceeding can be attributed to lack of care and maintenance with only one exception that could be blamed on poor design.
    The exception is the solenoid operating the electro valve. They unfortunately have a moulded plastic cap retaining the field winding within the casing. This splits and allows the windings to drop. This in turn prevents the armature from traveling its full distance. Since the armature controls the switching valve it too cannot travel far enough to fully switch the hydraulic pressure that engages and releases the clutch in the torque converter.
    The solution is very simple. The plastic cap has to be encouraged to return and to stay in its proper position.
    Hence a metal strap fitted to the two mounting screws and passing down and across the cap adds extra security to the integrity of the solenoid. It is something that is best done before trouble is experienced and ideally during the fitting of a new electro valve solenoid.
    The other easily curable condition is the complete flushing and renewing of the lubricationg fluids.
    Transmax type F is an equivalent of Total T and is a replacement for the former TQF. These work very well in a CX.
    The flushing process will involve some expense because a series of changes and flushes will be needed to remove the detritus that has built up around the peripheral seal of the hydraulic clutch within the torque converter. This detritus restricts the smooth operation of the clutch and if it gets bad enough can stop the clutch from sliding altogether. Continue flushing and running the car until the fluid being drained is completely clean.
    Now the next problem is to check and renovate any deficiencies in the wiring and relays controlling the electrovalve.
    On the selector rails is a contact box ( found buried down under the gear change rods ) it must be adjusted absolutely accurately. It is a pain of a job as it is necessary to work through the left wheel arch.
    This control box switches current to the controlling relay and hence higher amperage is provided direct from the battery to the electro valve. Connections are often dirty to this relay and of course must be totally clean otherwise heat will be generated and the blade connector will be burned. If so replace that relay!
    Other faults such as worn synchros ( often 1st gear ) necessitate removal and over haul.
    Once these matters have been attended to I feel that the CX C-Matic is bulletproof!

Advertisement

With all the above to keep a watch on is it any wonder that owners and service personnel ( notoriously so) became slack about the task of owning and maintaining a CX!

I would like to hear of other peoples experiences with their C-Matics. Hopefully we can do a bit to dispel the horror stories and change the way people think of the car! It is a worthy successor to the DS but has been maligned unfairly! I know that I just love mine.
    GreenBlood, denxm and Jinandfonic like this.
    Cheers Gerry

I loved my C-matic. It had the advantage of being powered by a 2400ie motor which makes it better than C-matics sold out here. My Dad had a C-matic CX when new.

I never had any niggling problem with the controls. I did adjust the contacts once but after that all worked perfectly. It did develop a problem when there would be no torque multiplication caused by the clutch holding the stator still at low revs was slipping. I eventually rebuilt the gearbox with a new torque converter when Bill Bunting showed me the 4 new torque converters he had sourced. The sense of excitement of everyone at that meeting was infectious. It was money well spent.

The good points. You can change gear with the only noticeable thing to any passenger was that the gear lever was moved. In experienced hands smoother than any automatic and probably better than the BVH too. You just use 2nd and 3rd all the time. It is a very rare occurrence to engage first to start off.

Not so good. Well there isn't any really. Yes they are lower geared than the automatic, but geared the same as 4 speed and some 5 speed manual CXs. I suppose they did this because the auto will change down to first when necessary, I don't think any C-matic driver would ever select first when the car is moving. Therefore they could fit a higher final drive ratio on the auto.
    The Dunk likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

All I know is that I enjoy driving both of mine. Even "Pascale" who has some issues - most likely due to years of idleness and/or indifferent treatment. Reading Gerry's post gives me a few pointers on where to check. Thanks Gerry!
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I really couldn't care in the slightest what "other people" think of the cars I drive. 20years ago I was a strong believer in tearing out C-matics and putting a proper gearbox in there ................ These days, much like the BVH, it's a large part of the appeal of an early CX as it's so weird and different to everything else offered.

You just need to fix up the electricals, and they were always mechanically way stronger than manual gearboxs, so long as you used the correct oil in them and didn't trash the pump.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I really couldn't care in the slightest what "other people" think of the cars I drive.
    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yeah we've noticed.
    JohnW, addo, UFO and 1 others like this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Similar in concept, the NSU Ro80 transmission is equally good. Again, you rarely bother with first gear and once you get used to the electro switch in the gear knob that disengages the clutch when touched its super smooth.

I like weird transmissions, conventional manuals bore me these days...
    JohnW and Jinandfonic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Similar in concept, the NSU Ro80 transmission is equally good. Again, you rarely bother with first gear and once you get used to the electro switch in the gear knob that disengages the clutch when touched its super smooth.

I like weird transmissions, conventional manuals bore me these days...
    Like the GS BiRotor, they did this was to get try to disguise the severe lack of torque at low revs of the rotory. A torque converter with a high stall allows the engine to rev up to a point where there is some usable torque without having to burn a clutch out

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

JBN

I bought my first CX2400 with a crook C-matic. Had a kit put into it and was worried when the "mechanic" gave me a few litres of Total T just in case it leaked. It did. Had the torque convertor rebuilt. Didn't work. Finally bought a new torque convertor and that did work.

Solenoids are throw away items, replace them at the first sign of trouble.

Keep the engine mounts in good shape. Tight cornering (the old Miranda 5 way roundabout, most dangerous in Sydney) and sudden change of direction can have the engine/gearbox assemply move. Because there is a mechanical linkage to the gearbox, this had the habit of selection neutral just when you want to plant the foot and exit the roundabout!

Ideally (in the old days) a radar detector was the best item you could add. Apart from the obvious ability to give early warning of the radars used in those days, for drivers with delusions of grandeur as to a CX C-matics ability to be "illegal" in that area, it had one unlisted advantage. It would "chirp" when the battery was getting low. This was very handy in warning you that the next few gearchanges were going to be interesting, as you need a good battery to operate the solenoid, otherwise you were stuck in the gear you last selected.

I had that situation in the middle of Sydney city. Fortunately, I managed to get a park. Found that the alternator fanbelt was broken. Didn't have a spare in the car. Did have a spare at home. Two hours later, after a return train trip, I was able to change the fanbelt. Had the NRMA there but he was happy to let me do the work. Two hours delay meant the suspension was down. Fortunately I had replaced alternators often as well as fanbelts and could do it all by feel. There are two different ring sizes to undo the bolt on the CX alternator.

One of the good things is the waterpump is located just above the alternator. It is a bastard of a design with too many fanbelts running off a long shaft, which provides better leverage to stuff the bearing on the shaft. This then gets the water pump to leak over the alternator. This then stuffs the alternator. This then requires a new alternator. And THIS gentlemen is how you get very practiced at removing fan belts and alternators.

The CX25IE Automatic was the solution Citroen were looking for when they deviated and got lost in the woods with the C-matic.

John

I think subtlety is one of my better points
    JohnW and Jinandfonic like this.

I really couldn't care in the slightest what "other people" think of the cars I drive. 20years ago I was a strong believer in tearing out C-matics and putting a proper gearbox in there ................ These days, much like the BVH, it's a large part of the appeal of an early CX as it's so weird and different to everything else offered.

You just need to fix up the electricals, and they were always mechanically way stronger than manual gearboxs, so long as you used the correct oil in them and didn't trash the pump.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Correct! I'm using my C-matic as a daily driver and it is wonderful. I don't do much cruising out of town - most places are quite a long way from Perth - and the C-matic is a fantastic town car, and great on those odd 'fast' occasions. I do keep a spare electrovalve handy but mine has been fine for ten years now. Car has done 230,000 km I believe.

The only problem has been a sticky relay, the one that activates the electovalve.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

We had a 1977 Cx2400 C-matic for a few years. The electrovalve was replaced but that was only trouble EXCEPT_ and this is the reason we sold it. If you put the gear box in to Park while the car was moving (even slightly) the pawl would eventually break off and the gearbox would no longer lock. That meant the only thing preventing the car from rolling on a hill was the handbrake ( which wasn't brilliant on ours). To make matters worse the Di-vario ( sic) steering meant that even if you pointed the front wheels into the gutter on a downhill, by the time you got back to the car they would have returned to the straight ahead position by themselves. Anyone else experience this?
    graham66 likes this.

I had to rebuild the end of my parking pawl. Very easy to do using an arc welder and an angle grinder!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    If you put the gear box in to Park while the car was moving (even slightly) the pawl would eventually break off and the gearbox would no longer lock. ?
    Who would ever do that!! I had the parking pawl replaced early because as noted the handbrake is not that good. Basically you get it to hold the car after a long drive, then disc cool, shrink a little and ... We all know about this. At least the park pawl is easy to replace with the gearbox in situ.

No wonder cars are moving over to CVT transmissions these days. That is one thing that is so good about the C-matic, that long continuous pull in second or third. Surprised quite a few manual drivers back then.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    That is one thing that is so good about the C-matic, that long continuous pull in second or third. Surprised quite a few manual drivers back then.
    Yeah my CX doesn't do that .... it does a very quick suicidal dive for the redline .... so you have to grab the next gear really quickly.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I can't say I've experienced anything glorious about a GS with a C-matic.

Is it the same 'box?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    I can't say I've experienced anything glorious about a GS with a C-matic.

Is it the same 'box?
    It is the same electro valve. the rest of the concept is similar.
    But I think that the issue is have you experienced major trouble that would cause you to form a bad opinion of the transmission?
    And if you have was it an issue that could have been avoided by competent and conscientious servicing?
    Cheers Gerry

We had a 1977 Cx2400 C-matic for a few years. The electrovalve was replaced but that was only trouble EXCEPT_ and this is the reason we sold it. If you put the gear box in to Park while the car was moving (even slightly) the pawl would eventually break off and the gearbox would no longer lock. That meant the only thing preventing the car from rolling on a hill was the handbrake ( which wasn't brilliant on ours). To make matters worse the Di-vario ( sic) steering meant that even if you pointed the front wheels into the gutter on a downhill, by the time you got back to the car they would have returned to the straight ahead position by themselves. Anyone else experience this?
    1. Pity to break it - it is perfect if used correctly
    2. Handbrake is very good if correctly adjusted (admittedly, a challenging task if new to it)
    3. Hold wheel, remove ignition key, lock then holds wheels pointing the way you want.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

That and the tendency for peripheral port motors to snatch a bit at low revs on part throttle.

Like the GS BiRotor, they did this was to get try to disguise the severe lack of torque at low revs of the rotory. A torque converter with a high stall allows the engine to rev up to a point where there is some usable torque without having to burn a clutch out

seeya,
    shane L.

JBN

That was another unlisted feature of my C-matic. My wife parked the car next to McDonalds and it started to roll down the driveway towards the main street. Fortunately, a quick thinking McDonalds employee saw the problem and threw a bag of flour under the wheel.

The top speed of the CX2400 C-matic was 160kph (6000 rpm from memory when the redline appeared). I had a brace of Weber 45DCNF carbys (same as SM). It got there fairly smartly (a lot quicker than the single 34 DMTR carby fitted by Citroen). The CX25IE automatic would do 100mph (160kph) at about 4850rpm from memory. A much better cruising car in the UK and Europe. It would accelerate about the same as the twin carby CX 2400. My wife drove the C-matic in second - everywhere. She didn't know or wish to know how to change gears.

The best thing about the C-matic is that you only had two pedals. Its just too busy with 3 pedals as in the manuals.

John

Fellow Frogger!

2. Handbrake is very good if correctly adjusted (admittedly, a challenging task if new to it)
    3. Hold wheel, remove ignition key, lock then holds wheels pointing the way you want.

1. I wasn't the sole driver. It is a weakness with the C-matic transmission that is not common with other semi-auto/auto/ dual clutch gearboxes.
    2. CX would creep on steep hills with handbrake pads adjusted and fully engaged.
    3.Never left keys in car nor left ignition unlocked_ a mystery then? A brick in the boot was a solution which wore thin after a while.
    I loved everything else about the CX ( except the hind quarter windows usedto leak and the hot interior) and tolerated the C-matic, especially when told the clutch on a manual CX was heavy. It was so modern compared to our DS.

1. I wasn't the sole driver. It is a weakness with the C-matic transmission that is not common with other semi-auto/auto/ dual clutch gearboxes.
    2. CX would creep on steep hills with handbrake pads adjusted and fully engaged.
    3.Never left keys in car nor left ignition unlocked_ a mystery then? A brick in the boot was a solution which wore thin after a while.
    I loved everything else about the CX ( except the hind quarter windows usedto leak and the hot interior) and tolerated the C-matic, especially when told the clutch on a manual CX was heavy. It was so modern compared to our DS.
    I certainly agree about the "hot". Those rear windows can need to be re-glued too (as can the rear window). But regarding the other three points, I must beg to differ, about point 2 anyway. My handbrake has always been excellent when adjusted.

Re 1, I guess you really can't account for some drivers, but no "park" position I've come across in older automatics liked being engaged on the move. I do agree it seems to be fragile.

Re 3, I don't think you quite got my point - if you point the wheels where you want them, turn the engine off and remove the ignition key, all is locked and the wheels cannot return to centre because of the steering lock - I do this when necessary.

I really enjoy my C-matic. I'd like a less warm car in summer, but really won't get around to the drastic work that Shane did to effectively insulate the inside from the outside!

Anyway, "viva la difference". Forgive spelling please.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

My C-matic was a great car, and before I owned the Xantia, it was the best Citroen I ever had up to then. The steering, the handling, the ride, all fantastic. Retro futuristic styling, and really comfortable. Electric front windows which never failed, and a special pilot light to illuminate the ignition keyhole at night.
    The C-matic was a great concept and fun to drive. When I first got the car the electro-valve solenoid worked, but it leaked oil. Once around the block and the gearbox oil was all gone... spread evenly across the road. I figured out how to fix it, by packing it with poly-urethane. Never played up again.
    I only sold the car because it needed a head gasket replaced, and a main seal on the crank. I could not afford to have someone do it for me, and I wasn't equipped to do it myself. I really enjoyed that car...

JBN

You are lucky the electric front windows worked. A common problem with them was that the motor would break away from the gear. In the late 80's early 90's it was a common topic at the Citroen Car Club. The clunk as the motor hit the bottom of the door. I used coat hanger wire to hold the gear housing to the motor, attaching it to some screws on the motor and then wrapping fibreglass and resin around it to keep it together. Worked a treat.

With all the hassles that I had, I really liked the CX. It was the car that made me go to Citroen. Had Citroen discovered Quality Control at that stage, the CX would have been a real winner. But then I wouldn't have been able to buy one second hand at a price cheaper than a used first series Commodore. I still miss the single windscreen wiper and one spoke steering wheel and those wonderful backlit cylinders that gave you the answer (rather than the menu) when it came to speed or RPM.

On Sunday night, I had to reverse a BMW 328 M off one foot square carpets on which it had sat for the week. German logic leaves me reeling. Selecting PARK is not intuitive and if you don't, it won't allow you to lock the doors from the outside. I hate having to read a manual just to operate a car. Loved the CX heater controls and aircon switch. All was able to be operated by feel with ones eyes closed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Loved the CX heater controls and aircon switch. All was able to be operated by feel with ones eyes closed.

John
    You just liked them 'cos no matter where you moved the controls, even if it was dark by feel...... you were sure to always get what you wanted ..... "warm to hot" air
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

You just liked them 'cos no matter where you moved the controls, even if it was dark by feel...... you were sure to always get what you wanted ..... "warm to hot" air
    What if you wanted cold air?
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    What if you wanted cold air?
    Drive to Tassie
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information