Citroen Bx 16V 1989 not cranking...
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Citroen Bx 16V 1989 not cranking...

Default Citroen Bx 16V 1989 not cranking...

can anyone help me, i started my beloved car this evening and it cranked but wouldn't start simply i believe because it was too cold. once i had tried several times to start the car it seemed it went into some security lock because instantly it wouldn't crank at all. i get all my right on the dash and all my electrics work but she won't start. does the car have some kind of security lock that i don't know about??
    any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Sincerely,
    Youngblood

It might have an aftermarket immobiliser, but normally they stop fuel - not starter.

If you turn the key to crank it, do the dash lights "dim" in reaction?

UFO

Yes if an immobiliser it would crank but not fire. Sounds like the starter might need a gentle tap - as a first test.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

If a tap doesn't work, try getting a 12v jump wire to the small terminal on the starter. If this makes the starter fire, then it could be an ignition switch fault.

pretty sure the 16 valve has a button thing in glovebox...press that and it disarms alarm/immobilisser
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

just found another thread...and yes...if factory fitted it will have a button to press...

Quote Originally Posted by siksua View Post
    Just joined so that I can get some help in getting it going.
    The car had been sitting in a container for around 6 years,when I got it home and tried to start it the alarm went of and disabled the motor (I think???) Does anyone know anything about thes alarms??? There is a sticker on the side window with aussiefrogs.com on it ,also a sticker with warning Citroen alarm installed. can anyone help with information about this???? siksua

The genuine Citroen alarms, meaning having a sticker with chevrons, and locally fitted by dealer when sold new I think, have a tiny push button switch hidden, generally inside the glove box, or our BX did. I think you bypass the alarm/immobiliser by holding the button in whilst activating the ignition and starter. Good luck. John W
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

I know BX's aren't exactly sought after by criminals but maybe we could keep the bypassing of the immobiliser to PM's?

Youngblood when you crank the car do you hear a loud Click of the starter shifting its gear over onto the flywheel?
    Maybe you have cranked it long enough that the battery doesn't have power enough to crank. Can you try jumpstarting the car? It's worth cranking it for a while with a fresh battery to see if it starts. Did the engine sounds like it had compression? (rur..rur..rur. VS ruuuuuuuuuur)

[QUOTE=frog;1355608]I know BX's aren't exactly sought after by criminals but maybe we could keep the bypassing of the immobiliser to PM's?

Really??? given the odds of a criminal researching Aussiefrogs for the alarm bypass on a BX...and then they have to break in to diasable it !!
    Isn't there more benefit to Aussiefroggers to know the answer rather than PM one person?
    share the knowledge....
    ps...do a google search & you will find pages of ways to disable the BX alarm...there are NO secrets on the web
    Last edited by dogboy; 27th May 2015 at 03:07 PM.
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Fellow Frogger!

The only reason BXs had expensive alarms and sound systems wasn't for theft so much but to add accessories so they appeared better value due to the high import tariffs at the time. We have had 3 BXs and everyone was broken in to and their flash radio stolen.
    1990 a BX TZI cost $39K while a valver was more like $45k. You could get a lot of Japanese and Oz cars for that dough.

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    The only reason BXs had expensive alarms and sound systems wasn't for theft so much but to add accessories so they appeared better value due to the high import tariffs at the time. We have had 3 BXs and everyone was broken in to and their flash radio stolen.
    1990 a BX TZI cost $39K while a valver was more like $45k. You could get a lot of Japanese and Oz cars for that dough.
    I went to the motor show in 1989 whilst still a student and admired the 16 Valve..but at that time they seemed unobtainable...
    still have that original brochure
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    Do you think reduced insurance premiums may have also been a factor?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Didn't impact on my third party fire and theft premiums, having never owned a new one. I think just about every BX, I saw had been broken in to at some stage. The door locks were made of cheese. Alarms packed it in with age. Who ever paid attention to clanging car alarms in those days anyhow (or now). I don't even think the key code pads on the Xantia or XM lowered premiums. The premiums were high because of the high values of the car and parts supply. Probably did take 5 bucks off insurance.
    BXs were prestige Euros.

thank you all for your help, i have spent the last few days taking the hard road and fitting a new starter motor. now i have a new fun problem.... it's idling bad.... ah well

Thread Information