nitrogen tyres.
  • Help
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: nitrogen tyres.

Tadpole

Default nitrogen tyres.

hi guys just looked at light 15 on trade me ;nice example ad says that tyres are filled
    with nitrogen never heard of this;does this make the ride any better or are there any other benifits
    would like to here from any that know about this
    regards kevie.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

RACQ - Nitrogen for tyres | Cars & Driving

Air is approx three quarters nitrogen.

I think that it is supposed to run cooler and also to less effect on the rubber compounds as oxygen may cause the rubber to eventually degrade!
    For this reason Citroen suspension spheres are filled with nitrogen.
    Cheers Gerry

Redefining tubular ;∑)
    Only advantage of nitrogen-only: gets rid of the oxygen*.
    Oxygen oxidizes things. Like tire rims.
    Yeah right. That nitrogen cylinder is now a must-have in your luggage.

* And of the carbon dioxide, which, although it's only .04% of air, is responsible for everything from acne to 9/11... not to mention catastrophic global warming
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; 24th May 2015 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Wrote "hydrogen cylinder" ;∑)

The main benefit is that pure nitrogen expands much less as it heats up. The moisture content in normal compressed air leads to significant pressure increases when the tyre gets hot. Nitrogen fill is therefore useful in race cars where consistent tyre pressures are critical.

Paying extra for a nitrogen fill on road car tyres is as sensible a use of money as using $10 notes as fire starters.

1000+ Posts

Default Marketing opportunity !!

Hi Kevie
    Similar to a lot of our obsessions, like V8 engines, very low profile tires, smart phones, fast food etc ect ect, nitrogen in tires is a marketing opportunity to the gullible public !! Come in sucker.

Some 0.1% of truth against 99.9% of profit. Capitalism at it's best.
    jaahn

Jaahn, that's just a little cynical.
    I'm a car enthusiast and I enjoy treating my cars well, making improvements and mostly that means taking the more expensive option like using PULP fuel, running on the best original tyres etc. when it comes to my cars Im not a penny pintcher. So for what is a relatively minute amount of money I'm running nitrogen in the TRXs on the CX. If it gives me more life on the TRXs then I'm the winner, if it gives me no real benefit at least I had some fun in the process.

In fact the tyre centre topped then up yesterday to my requested presures for no charge.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Kevie
    Similar to a lot of our obsessions, like V8 engines, very low profile tires, smart phones, fast food etc ect ect, nitrogen in tires is a marketing opportunity to the gullible public !! Come in sucker.

Some 0.1% of truth against 99.9% of profit. Capitalism at it's best.
    jaahn
    Jaahn, I rather enjoy the lazy powerful torque developed at only 1700RPM whilst cruising at 100 KPH in my 5 litre VT Calais. It is a great car and I still average around 11 litres per 100 k in a mixture of town and country driving.
    Please don't knock the V8. I probably like you never thought that I would buy an 8 but one day this car came along and it has changed my mind.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Jaahn, I rather enjoy the lazy powerful torque developed at only 1700RPM whilst cruising at 100 KPH in my 5 litre VT Calais. It is a great car and I still average around 11 litres per 100 k in a mixture of town and country driving.
    Please don't knock the V8. I probably like you never thought that I would buy an 8 but one day this car came along and it has changed my mind.
    I completely understand that, regarding the V8 Calais. I do agree with Jaahn on the low profile tyres and nitrogen argument though. Most people drive in the circumstances illustrated in the attached photo I suspect, with occasional bursts of speed.

I suspect dry nitrogen inside the tyre/tube must be slightly better than moist 80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen (approximately) but then I think of what the OUTSIDE of the tyre puts up with, including UV radiation. I've found I can only get about 15-20 years reliably out of tubes using raw air.

I'd put the nitrogen money into tyres that stop well on wet roads myself. It looks as if Adrian has done both good tyres and dry air.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nitrogen tyres.-p8220220.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

hey thats great information ;what about filling the tyres with hydrogen it may float like
    the first air ships.

Make certain you also evacuate the air in the tyre before filling with Nitrogen as the F1 teams do

Quote Originally Posted by Mungous View Post
    The moisture content in normal compressed air leads to significant pressure increases when the tyre gets hot.
    Now.. significant is not really the adjective I'd use.

From
    Nitrogen for Tires: Question #1

"The first thing to notice is that throughout the entire operating range of the tire, cases #1, 2, and 3 are virtually identical, differing by no more than 0.04 psi at 110F. In other words, it doesnít matter whether youíre using desiccated-dry air, moist air from a 150-psi storage tank, or dry nitrogen: all three mixtures respond the same, with negligible difference, to temperature changes."

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    Hi
    Oh I just love this guy ! a quick quote for those who did not go there
    " Oh, there are plenty of benefits: (1) Cool fluorescent green valve stem caps (assuming your nitrogen vendor has any marketing savvy), which will look sharp with your spinning wheel covers. (2) Bragging rights. OK, you were behind the curve with cell phones, iPods, thong underwear, etc. Nitrogen in tires is relatively new to the mass market. Now's your chance. (3) Reduced fire danger next time you land your space shuttle or commercial aircraft, and tell me you won't sleep better knowing that."

You called me cynical ??
    Jaahn

WLB

I used nitrogen exclusively in my tyres for much of the '80s. But that was because I worked for CIG/BOC, I had a company car, and our transport garage (where the fuel bowsers were) only had nitrogen connected to the 'air' hose for topping up your tyres. The reason for that was simply this - why run a garage compressor when there was a compressed nitrogen line available in the adjacent cylinder filling plant?

We supplied nitrogen to the commercial airlines, RAAF, mining industry, and large transport companies. It was also used in racing tyres and we had a crew at the MotoGP at Philip Island for several years providing nitrogen for the bike tyres. All the benefits quoted are correct - but unless you're running a large long-distance heavy transport fleet where the benefits are cumulative, you won't even notice them. You won't notice anything with private car use, and I doubt you'd even notice it across a fleet of taxis.

Like WLB says,not worth the money to bother in passenger cars,only race cars.
    did some work for road train operators and they used nitrogen due to the heat and the weight of the rigs,they said it was worth it.

I think it all has to do with Boyles Law.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nitrogen tyres.-boyles-featured.jpg  
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

I have had many different brands of tyres on many different machines-Thing is that I have NEVER seen NITROGEN brand tyres anywhere for sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

Thread Information