2004 C5 2L HDI air bag fault message
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 2004 C5 2L HDI air bag fault message

Tadpole

Default 2004 C5 2L HDI air bag fault message

Hi Everyone,

I have been getting an intermittent warning about an air bag fault and now its on permanently.
    When I had the car service a while ago the mechanic said the fault code was for the clock spring.
    I have been doing some research (called the dealer for the part, $1500 and he was giving me a discount down from $1600) the part number is 6242C6. It seems that the entire indicator assembly also known as the comms assembly needs to be replaced. I have found some on ebay in the UK, does anyone know any where in Aus that sells reconditioned / can recondition this part? is there any other option than buying new from the dealer?

Advertisement

Cheers,

Jason

1000+ Posts

Hi Jason,
    I have not heard of this airbag fault caused by the Com2000 unit. However that does not say it is not so. That bl**dy unit causes lots of other faults in the PUGs and Citroens, as well as the stalks failing. It is probably the most commonly replaced unit and as the cars get older more problems will inevitably come up.

Note that there are many, many different ones to suit the whole range of Pugs and Citroens with minor and major differences. So double check your number or give the supplier your VIN.

AFAIK there are no suppliers in Australia other than the Stealers. Easily available new or recoed in England as you have seen. I would double check that the fault is actually the Com2000 unit before I replace it though. Get it checked by a Lexia or similar genuine scan tool not just an ordinary scan tool.
    Jaahn

Tadpole

Thanks Jaahn,

Its been my investigation that has come up with the com2000 unit being the problem. I had it at a reputable European mechanic who told me the air bag fault message was coming from the clock spring which, from what I can diagnose is located within the com2000 unit. I got the part number from the dealer after he stopped laughing at how much the new part would cost, he then recommended I try and find one somewhere else. I gave him my rego which he used to get my vin from vicroads so I feel confident in the part number.
    I was considering picking up one of the cheap scan tools of ebay to check the code myself and save $60, they are advertised as working on Citroens but it doesn't sound like you have had much luck with them?

Jason

Fellow Frogger

Airbag faults in those earlier cars can sometimes be due to a poor connection. There's a connector in the LH footwell that's worth investigating as a start. It's possibly a steering angle fault showing up. The clockspring is just a ribbon wire wound up inside the Comm unit, but it can break and it is vulnerable to being wound too far one way or the other if fitted incorrectly or turned with the rack disconnected. You will find plenty of info around the net on R&R and dismantling, so you could try that if you are keen.

There are different units and even different suppliers, so you need the correct part number to find a replacement. There are usually options via eBay UK for rather less than you have been quoted. You could also try Dapco-AutoFrance and EAI locally if you want, but they'll ask for the VIN or at least the last 8 numbers. Note it down from the ID plates or at the windscreen. French Connection (David Cavanaugh - forum sponsor) in Melbourne may have a used one and there are quite a few other wreckers around with cars for dismantling. You may do well to remove the cowling and see if you can read the manufacturer (Delphi or Valeo) off the unit now fitted and look for a reference number, typically starting with 96 ... as a means of finding the same unit used. You have to be careful that a used part is not over or under wound.

1000+ Posts

Hi Jason,
    I stand by what I previously said. Read it again And also Davids post.
    Do not trust the codes given from a generic code reader. It may give unreliable information on specific faults on these cars.
    I would not be spending big money on a guess.
    The clock spring is just a spring similar to a clock spring that makes a positive mechanical electrical path to the airbag so it is 100% reliable for firing the airbag. There is nothing complicated about that, except if the steering is played with carelessly as David said when not connected or the like.
    Jaahn

P.S. If you want to check the part number needed for your car or whether one from another car is the same number supply the VIN and I or someone else can look it up on the Citroen site ! You can see the VIN through the windscreen at the bottom edge or on the bottom of the passenger center door pillar.
    Last edited by jaahn; 22nd May 2015 at 10:35 PM.

I was under the impression that the pyrotechnic devices that operate items such as airbags and seatbelt tensioners have a time limited life, which is supposedly ten years. All pyrotechnic devices should be replaced at this time interval or they cannot be guaranteed to work. As an example, pyrotechnic safety flares must be replaced every three years. I sold my RX4 at nine years. Maybe the system, (like a digital electronic watch) knows the explosives are out of date? Changing the module might get rid of the code, but not the out-of-date problem.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I think there have been some lifetime extensions for pyrotechnics in Citroens - airbags and seatbelt pretensioners. Would be good if someone who knows details would post them up here.

Cheers,

Ken.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    I think there have been some lifetime extensions for pyrotechnics in Citroens - airbags and seatbelt pretensioners. Would be good if someone who knows details would post them up here.

Cheers,

Ken.
    My neighbor has a pyrotechnics license.
    Cheers.

I had a licence to work on bombs, rockets, small arms, cannons, ejection seats and guided missiles.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

JBN

I am glad my Xantia seems to be unknown to Lexia, so I have no clue as to any fault codes. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

I guess if the airbag doesn't go off when it should, I'll possibly never know. After 20 years, I expect the pyrotechnics have reached their use by date.

John

1000+ Posts

Default Hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I had a licence to work on bombs, rockets, small arms, cannons, ejection seats and guided missiles.
    Hi Kim
    and where do French cars fit there ...

jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Kim
    and where do French cars fit there ...

jaahn
    "Le Trebuchet" perhaps?

Tadpole

Thanks Jaahn and David it looks like I will need to get into the car this weekend and start checking connections Ill let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Jason

Tadpole

I don't suppose there is anyone in Geelong with a Lexia scan tool that could help me find the specific problem?

Cheers,

Jason

Intermittently on and off then fully on sure sounds like a crook connection to me. I'm with David S on this one.

Tadpole

Icon7

it could be the actual airbag ecu located in the centre console i had same problem last year replaced unit i got on flea bay for 25 euro no more airbag faults

Tadpole

Thanks Darbuck how did you work out it was the airbag ecu? did a mechanic diagnose it or did you work it out?

Thread Information