Starter motor trouble with BX valver- Wollongong
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Starter motor trouble with BX valver- Wollongong

Fellow Frogger!

Default Starter motor trouble with BX valver- Wollongong

Anyone with an older Cit is familiar with the ignition key turn click of the starter motor occurring before eventual start up. Our son at Uni in Wollongong is at the stage where the valver's starter no longer clicks so starter must be dead. Suspect the wiring having deteriorated to the starter is the main problem. Does anyone know an auto electrician in the "Gong or mechanic who is familiar with BXs? Probably a good time to exchange the starter given it is a bugger to access. Any help appreciated.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

remember that this engine is fitted to pugs as well ,i found it easier on the mi 16 to remove the plenum complete ,also have a good look around in there for heat and oil effected wiring and vent pipes / hoses ,there may be a bit more room to move on the cit ,PUGS

It could have just had the small wire from the ignition switch fall off the solenoid at the top of the starter. It is also quite common to fit a relay in this circuit so the solenoid then gets full battery voltage rather than just the voltage that's left after the ignition switch and the long wire run to and from. Look for a relay floating around in the middle of the intake manifold.

Another way in to replace starter is to remove the radiator, aircon condensor and fan system and go in through that hole. Good opportunity to change the coolant as well.
    Last edited by Ken W; 21st May 2015 at 09:44 AM.

As Ken says, the first thing to check is the voltage reaching the solenoid from the ignition switch. Try running a lead from positive battery terminal to the solenoid supply and see if you have life.

Even if the starter switch behind the key is at fault it will probably still have enough current to operate a new solenoid located between battery and starter.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

I think McLeod's still have a service workshop in Unanderra. Was called Auto Boutique. I just had my starter motor out of my 16v, and the best way is to remove the radiator.
    It is hard to get to the wiring to check the solenoid, but you could try from underneath. Best of luck.

Push start it once, then park it on hills forever. Problem solved!

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you for suggestions. I wish all problems were as simple to solve as this one. I have never pushed started a fuel injected car, but that must be the solution

I have! It works like a carby car, provided the fuel pump is powering up as normal.

Thread Information