Calling all sound gurus
  • Help

Default Calling all sound gurus

I've recently installed a Retrosound Model 2 radio into the dash of my DS. When having the car repainted I opted to use an internal aerial rather than a roof mounted one as I didn't want any holes in the roof. I chose an amplified Retrosond aerial,

Calling all sound gurus-imageuploadedbytapatalk1431699706.880152.jpg

and ran the cable around the internal roof gutter and hid the box above and to the centre of the rear window, figuring that lots of surrounding glass and a fibreglass roof along with the powered amplification should give good reception. The power for the amplifier came from the switchable supply from the radio's plug box usually used for the power lifting and lowering of a mudguard mounted aerial.

When I turned the radio on I got no AM reception, just hissing and poor FM reception with a low level hiss. I tried unplugging the amplified aerial and attaching a standard roof mounted aerial and got perfect AM & FM signals, so I figured I had a faulty Retrosond aerial. Retrosound sent me down a replacement one and I plugged it all in (and left it loosely draped around the car) and got the same results as the first aerial. Surely I couldn't have two bad amplified aerials? So I started unplugging the 2nd one, and instead of firstly unplugging it from the radio (as I had done with the first aerial), I unplugged the power supply first leaving the coaxial still plugged into the radio, and suddenly I got AM reception; not very strong but at least I could hear it and the hiss was gone. FM was nice and clear with no hiss either. So I'm getting electrical interference to such an extent that any signal improvement through amplification is completely lost. I tend to listen to our local ABC AM station (774) which doesn't have a very strong signal so I would like to employ amplification. So I need a suppressor and my questions are:
    1) What should I get? And
    2) Where in the circuit should I put it?

Advertisement

Cheers,
    Dave
    83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    01 Renault Scenic

Fellow Frogger!

If it works without the amplifier and not with, the solution is obvious
    You don't need RF amplification in an auto mobile if you live in an urban location
    By the way did Peter leave a Lexia in your BX when coming back from Bill's a year or so back?

Default Calling all sound gurus

Sherman,
    I'd considered just leaving the power supply disconnected but I do like 774 which has very low signal strength and would benefit from amplification.
    Re lexia, no sorry can't help there at all.
    Dave.
    Last edited by Dave Rogers; 16th May 2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typi
    83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    01 Renault Scenic

Fellow Frogger!

Noisey PS?
    Try lead straight to battery

Tried the lead straight to the battery, no change. Also tried installing an installing an earthed hash suppressor in the line which feeds the radio, also no change. Beats me.
    83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    01 Renault Scenic

Fellow Frogger!

Is the noise with the engine running?
    Sounds like 2 dud rf amps

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Dave,if your aerial is being run around the Gutter inside the car I suspect it is too close to the metallic parts of the body which are shielding it from the radio signal,you could test this by running your aerial across the roof!
    Woody

What exactly is the aerial. To be effective the aerial should stick up from the body of the car and be a quarter wavelength long. The body of the car acts as the ground plane for the aerial. You can shorten the length of the aerial by using a coil of wire rather a length of chrome rod but it still has to stick out of the body of the car. There have been those that are a coil stuck around the windscreen but they are never as effective. I don't know what the original fitment for a D should be but I think a chrome roof aerial like the one on my CX should look good. It will work too.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Dave,
    If you google hidden antenna you'll find you are not alone - they get pretty poor reviews.

At best you'll get moderate FM reception, AM will be unacceptable.
    I suspect the Retrosound antenna is the same as the Crutchfield, have a look through the reviews here
    Universal Antenna Hideaway AM/FM car antenna at Crutchfield.com

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Yes Chris, I've come to the same conclusion. The Retrosound Areial is just the same as the c
    83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    01 Renault Scenic

Yes Chris, I've come to the same conclusion. The Retrosound Areial is just the same as the Crutchfield one. I've decided to disable the amplification, AM reception is just passable, FM is OK. I'll stick with it for now as I mostly use USB or Bluetooth directly from my phone.
    83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    01 Renault Scenic

Thread Information