93 Xantia Fuel Gauge and Cabin noise questions
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 93 Xantia Fuel Gauge and Cabin noise questions

Hey Guys

Recently purchased a 93 Xantia which has a couple of issues I would like to try and fix.

1) The fuel gauge is more or less useless. The gauge will show a level when the car has just been filled up but even then is very temperamental. I would estimate 80/90% of the time the gauge shows the tank as empty with the fuel light on. Will replacing the gauge help or is it likely the problem lies elsewhere.

2) Above the radio unit on the left there is a device which I believe is the cabin temperature sensor (?). Often it will start making a kind of grating noise when the car has just started. Best way I can think of to describe it is when a small fan like a computer CPU fan gets clogged up with to dirt. Is this a common problem with the Xantias?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
    Nick

Advertisement

1) I would say the fuel gauge sender is faulty
    2) That is the temp sensor for the climate control. The fan is probably full of dirt. First thing would be to try and vacuum any out of there.

Other things to look at would be checking the LHM return hoses. They are probably very brittle at this age. If you can afford/find the parts best to replace them all. Some have made the main return hoses up from fuel hose and irrigation connectors. Search Ausssiefrogs for details.

93 is a very early one, hope it servers you well, they are a great car.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Tadpole

Hi Greg

Thanks for replying. I managed to find a Haynes manual for the Xantia and it suggests that the sender is incorporated into the fuel pump unit. I assume that if I want to replace the sender I have to replace the pump ?

Interesting after giving the heater a good blowout the other day the noises have not returned ��

Thread Information