Past Owner of Citroen Big 6
  • Help
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Past Owner of Citroen Big 6

Tadpole

Default Past Owner of Citroen Big 6

Hello to everyone as I am new to this site I hope my post is of interest? I am 70 years of age and was a proud owner many years ago of 2 Citroen Big Sixes Slough built. The first I acquired was in 1963 and my first car. I drove this for a period while I pestered my Uncles to buy their garaged Big Six which unfortunately had an engine problem and was put in the garage where it stayed for a number of years.

I always admired this vehicle when a young kid and dreamt of owning one some day. Its beautiful colour a burgundy, the leather and timber trim interior and its roomy comfort. The bell like ring of the starter motor as it meshed with the ring gear. Also the winged radiator mascot (not a Citroen part) as viewed from behind as the car motored along the highway.
    This vehicle was purchased at a car show in Ballarat in 1951 from King & George Motors Ballarat.

Well one day my Uncles agreed to let me have the car and a price was agreed upon. Being a Panel Beater I began to restore the car and bring it back to its previous glory. Mechanical parts were acquired from France and an engine rebuild was started with the help of a Scot workmate who was a mechanic. The brakes and suspension was overhauled and the bodywork tidied up and a total repaint in its original colour. The cedar dash and door trims were carefully sanded and redone in timber gloss.

I was very proud of my car but received some odd looks from those who saw only Holdens, Fords, Austins etc as the way to go. But a ride in the Citroen had them having a more positive view as it steered and rode around the bends as if on rails. I drove it into the late 60s when I received my call up for National Service and from 1966 until 1968 I drove it without any major mishaps backwards and forwards from NSW. Eventually I traded it in at a Citroen Dealer in Punchbowl NSW on an ID 19. I also enjoyed this car and drove it until an engine fire in the early 1970s put it out of action.

Now nostalgia is a funny thing, over the years I wish I had held onto my Big 6. I have had a number of cars through the years and some of them were excellent. But I still dream of and talk about winning Tattslotto (don't we all) and beginning a search for one of these marvellous cars to enjoy in my latter years.

I hope this was not too long winded. To all you Citroen owners enjoy your vehicles and do take care.

Advertisement

Kind regards, Andy Nes

What a great story, Andy, and welcome! I'm sure you can find traction that would re-kindle those memories. Many of us have stories of great citroen times - to me it's what makes it all worthwhile and being Citroen - there's more spice! Good to hear of those adventures and if you have any pics to post I'm sure people would enjoy them. I had an ID for many years, have an 11BL Traction and a DS 21.

Best Wishes,

Tim

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

there's a a few ID19's and a couple of tractions in town if you keep your eyes out ( there's two ID's and a traction in this family alone ).

Welcome to the forum. If your eager for a traction, I'm sure you'll easily find one. Big 6's are a lot rarer though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Welcome to aussiefrogs! As the others have said there are some of the Tractions around and they do change hands.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Welcome Andy,
    I too am a Big 6 devotee, I'm fortunate to have my fathers Big 6 which I drive whenever I can. My brother and I also have Big 6 H which is under resto. there's nothing quite like a good 6 to drive.
    Bill

Fellow Frogger!

Andy, I am not an expert on these cars but when I was married 13 years ago, we hired a car matching this description that was called a Familiale. It was a long wheel base Light 15 essentially. I don't know if it was a bigger motor or six cylinder. It is in Brisbane or WLD somewhere and a picture was on Aussiefrogs in a carpark a year or so ago. It was burgundy. It was used by a wedding car company at Castle Hill something like French Limousines back then, not now. Maybe it is the same car. I will have a look to see if the picture is there somewhere. Chris Mortimer

Fellow Frogger!

Could this be the car you speak about Andy...

Seen today in the carpark.....

That is the burgundy Famililale I spoke about in my reply above. If so, seemingly alive and well.

Chris M

French Car Day 2012

Past Owner of Citroen Big 6-p1090918.jpgPast Owner of Citroen Big 6-p1090920.jpg
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Tadpole

Hi Tim and thanks for your kind response. I am hoping to copy some old slides I have of my ID and post them on this forum in the next day or two.

Cheers,

David (Andy Nes)

Tadpole

Hi Chris M, Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately that is not the car, mine had the round spare wheel cover on the boot lid. It would be great to know if it still survives out there somewhere in NSW. Mine was traded in at Continental Cars on the ID if my memory is correct sometime in 1967.

Cheers,

David

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Andy, I am not an expert on these cars but when I was married 13 years ago, we hired a car matching this description that was called a Familiale. It was a long wheel base Light 15 essentially. I don't know if it was a bigger motor or six cylinder. It is in Brisbane or WLD somewhere and a picture was on Aussiefrogs in a carpark a year or so ago. It was burgundy. It was used by a wedding car company at Castle Hill something like French Limousines back then, not now. Maybe it is the same car. I will have a look to see if the picture is there somewhere. Chris Mortimer
    The familiale (extended version of the big 15)as well as having extra windows, had the four cylinder engine, so different to the Big 6.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Tadpole

Hi, I am trying to get used to using this site correctly. My Citroen Big 6 had the round spare wheel cover on the boot lid. I traded the car in at Continental Cars Sydney if my memory is correct in 1967. I am searching for some old photo's to post on this forum.
    Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,

David

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andy nes View Post
    Hi, I am trying to get used to using this site correctly. My Citroen Big 6 had the round spare wheel cover on the boot lid. I traded the car in at Continental Cars Sydney if my memory is correct in 1967. I am searching for some old photo's to post on this forum.
    Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,

David
    Is this the big 6 that sat in a shed many years in ballarat? I remember looking at it about 20years ago.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by andy nes View Post
    Hi Chris M, Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately that is not the car, mine had the round spare wheel cover on the boot lid. It would be great to know if it still survives out there somewhere in NSW. Mine was traded in at Continental Cars on the ID if my memory is correct sometime in 1967.

Cheers,

David
    This one perhaps? Also from 2012 French car day

Past Owner of Citroen Big 6-p1090919.jpg
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    Welcome Andy,
    I too am a Big 6 devotee, I'm fortunate to have my fathers Big 6 which I drive whenever I can. My brother and I also have Big 6 H which is under resto. there's nothing quite like a good 6 to drive.
    Bill
    A 6H!!!! Lucky man.... Here's one near Paris. Very interesting cars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Past Owner of Citroen Big 6-citroen-15-6h-2.jpg   Past Owner of Citroen Big 6-p1030284.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Enjoy them Bill, I would love to see some pics when restoration is finished.

Cheers,

David

Tadpole

No not the one, my car was rescued from the shed around 1964. Now I am showing my age. There was one Big 6 in the 1970s in Fussell St Ballarat which sat in a shed for a number of years and eventually was put on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    A 6H!!!! Lucky man.... Here's one near Paris. Very interesting cars.
    Yes I've seen this one close up. It belonged to a man who lived near Gerry. It is a very nice car.
    this is ours.Past Owner of Citroen Big 6-img_4531.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    Yes I've seen this one close up. It belonged to a man who lived near Gerry. It is a very nice car.
    this is ours.
    Nice - yours that is.... The one I saw, and it seems you have seen, in France was at a Sunday morning informal gathering at the workshop of Gazolene magazine near Paris. An amazing range of cars turned up - despite ice on the roads. One of those memorable mornings.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I know of 2 Big six's in Northern Victoria... I don't have photos or easy access to info about them but they belong to a friends father..
    They have not been used/driven for years....sadly...NOT for sale...
    do you have any old records...chassis/engine numbers....old reg? that will make it easier to find your old one if it is out there and not recycled....
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Welcome to aussiefrogs! As the others have said there are some of the Tractions around and they do change hands.

Hey Rmac, is that your car in your avatar, and do you know the colour code or name.....I'm thinking it's the colour I want to do mine.....?

Yes it is. It is Bleu d'Orient and if you take a look at

AC 616 Bleu d'Orient Citroen DS ID

BLEU D'ORIENT AC 616 (1965-67, 72-73)

You will see that it needs a white roof to set it off - at least that is how I feel about it. My car came with a white roof and looking at the images on nuancierds I'm glad it did.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Fellow Frogger!

Most would have been alerted to a very nice Big 6 advertised on the CCOCA website

Cars for Sale | Citroen Classic Owners Club of Australia

For Sale
    1953 Big 6. Traction Avant

Well kept & in excellent condition. Registered until 9.10.2015. Club Plate. S 21465 Odometer reading 53581 miles Price $37000.00 ONO

Thread Information