Colour coding and connectors.
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric

Thread: Colour coding and connectors.

Default Colour coding and connectors.

I wish to replace some wiring that goes through the bulkhead of my D. Question is, are the colour sleeves and connectors available to the average Joe?

Advertisement

Regards
    Brian.
    1970 D Super. (Little Miss Petite).

To quote Maxwell Smart........"And Loving It!"

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothFlow View Post
    I wish to replace some wiring that goes through the bulkhead of my D. Question is, are the colour sleeves and connectors available to the average Joe?

Regards
    Brian.
    Hi Brian,
    Citroworld sell the coloured sleeves and male/female connectors. If it's only a few I may have what you need.

This mob sell shrink in a range of 11 colours, only the lilac appears to be missing. They may have a retail outlet for small orders?
    Techflex Australia Braided Sleeving Products - Shrinkflex 3:1 Polyolefin Heat Shrink Tubing | techflex.com.au Expandable Braided Cable Wire Harness Hose Sleeving and Accessories

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Hi Brian,
    Citroworld sell the coloured sleeves and male/female connectors. If it's only a few I may have what you need.

This mob sell shrink in a range of 11 colours, only the lilac appears to be missing. They may have a retail outlet for small orders?
    Techflex Australia Braided Sleeving Products - Shrinkflex 3:1 Polyolefin Heat Shrink Tubing | techflex.com.au Expandable Braided Cable Wire Harness Hose Sleeving and Accessories

Cheers
    Chris

Thanks Chris for your reply and experience

Thank you for your offer, but have a number to do, and if all goes well I may get carried away.

Love this forum
    Brian

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Regards
    Brian.
    Not readily. You can get the male and female 4mm from some suppliers in Europe. There's only a couple of 3mm that you will need. The rubber insulators are usually of a real crap quality. I buy rubber tubing from McMaster-Carr and cut what I need. The color sleeves are available, but also usually crap quality. I use colored shrink tubing of either 3/16 or 1/4" diameter cut to length. Dirk Sassen in Germany has as far as I've found the only ready source of fuse block terminals- they're obvious reproductions, and expensive as hell at 6 Euros each.

Suppliers to try for the 3 and 4mm male and female pins:
    filtre ŗ essence, vitre de rťtroviseur eBay Boutiques | sylvain1230 0 possibly your best overall bet. Look on the left column for DS parts, new, electricity
    Dirk Sassen - ID-DS Import the fuse block terminals, along with a lot of other stuff. A working knowledge of German helps
    Citroworld | Dť webshop voor al uw CitroŽn auto-onderdelen (CitroŽn DS, H, HY, HZ en 2CV) en speciale gereedschap Geert is reasonably priced and he carries quite a bit.

You can also buy from Der Franzose. They have the complete repop fuseboxes as well as the 3 and 4mm reproductions, but they stopped shipping to the US for some bizarre reason. Oh well.

McMaster-Carr This is where I order my insulator material from. I've used both the EPDM and the silicone. Numbers 5054K53 (silicone) and 9776T28 (EPDM)

These guys 2:1 Heat Shrink Tubing &ndash; Professional Grade Insulation and Flame Resistance and this one Heat Shrinkable Tubing - Polyolefin 2:1 - BuyHeatShrink.com has 9 of the 10 colors you need to correctly mark the ends. I have the tenth color (mauve), and can give you some. Underhood, it's used only for the swivelling high beams at the fender connections. I can also supply some gray, since that is for brake pad wear connections only. Buying any shrink tubing for this, you only need the 2:1 polyolefin, I suggest in either 3/16 or 1/4 inch.

The harness wrap tape I normally use is supplied by Mercedes Benz. Expensive as hell at 30.00/roll, but it's tough and it looks good when properly applied.

Now, I don't know what model year car you have, I have to assume it's either a '68 or '69, possibly an early '70. Those are the ones where the insulation dried out and turned literally to dust. This happened to the black wire only- the green, yellow, {white, blue, red- wiper motor circuit only} and gray wire (fender harnesses only). You will likely need to cut wire back quite a ways to get at "clean" wire to connect your fresh wire. Take your time, and pay close attention to the details. You will need to strip out the dash and probably the passenger side air vent. I'm not trying to discourage you, it can be done, but you do have some work ahead of you if you go this route.
    addo likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Not readily. You can get the male and female 4mm from some suppliers in Europe. There's only a couple of 3mm that you will need. The rubber insulators are usually of a real crap quality. I buy rubber tubing from McMaster-Carr and cut what I need. The color sleeves are available, but also usually crap quality. I use colored shrink tubing of either 3/16 or 1/4" diameter cut to length. Dirk Sassen in Germany has as far as I've found the only ready source of fuse block terminals- they're obvious reproductions, and expensive as hell at 6 Euros each.

Suppliers to try for the 3 and 4mm male and female pins:
    filtre ŗ essence, vitre de rťtroviseur eBay Boutiques | sylvain1230 0 possibly your best overall bet. Look on the left column for DS parts, new, electricity
    Dirk Sassen - ID-DS Import the fuse block terminals, along with a lot of other stuff. A working knowledge of German helps
    Citroworld | Dť webshop voor al uw CitroŽn auto-onderdelen (CitroŽn DS, H, HY, HZ en 2CV) en speciale gereedschap Geert is reasonably priced and he carries quite a bit.

You can also buy from Der Franzose. They have the complete repop fuseboxes as well as the 3 and 4mm reproductions, but they stopped shipping to the US for some bizarre reason. Oh well.

McMaster-Carr This is where I order my insulator material from. I've used both the EPDM and the silicone. Numbers 5054K53 (silicone) and 9776T28 (EPDM)

These guys 2:1 Heat Shrink Tubing &ndash; Professional Grade Insulation and Flame Resistance and this one Heat Shrinkable Tubing - Polyolefin 2:1 - BuyHeatShrink.com has 9 of the 10 colors you need to correctly mark the ends. I have the tenth color (mauve), and can give you some. Underhood, it's used only for the swivelling high beams at the fender connections. I can also supply some gray, since that is for brake pad wear connections only. Buying any shrink tubing for this, you only need the 2:1 polyolefin, I suggest in either 3/16 or 1/4 inch.

The harness wrap tape I normally use is supplied by Mercedes Benz. Expensive as hell at 30.00/roll, but it's tough and it looks good when properly applied.

Now, I don't know what model year car you have, I have to assume it's either a '68 or '69, possibly an early '70. Those are the ones where the insulation dried out and turned literally to dust. This happened to the black wire only- the green, yellow, {white, blue, red- wiper motor circuit only} and gray wire (fender harnesses only). You will likely need to cut wire back quite a ways to get at "clean" wire to connect your fresh wire. Take your time, and pay close attention to the details. You will need to strip out the dash and probably the passenger side air vent. I'm not trying to discourage you, it can be done, but you do have some work ahead of you if you go this route.
    Hi Hotrodelectric

Thanks for the heads up with all that. The links are great and work super well. My car is that period of the black coated wiring turning to dust as you say.

I hear a lot of criticism about this problem, however after 45 years I am not surprised that the wiring is asking for some help.

Thanks heaps
    Brian

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Hi Hotrodelectric

Thanks for the heads up with all that. The links are great and work super well. My car is that period of the black coated wiring turning to dust as you say.

I hear a lot of criticism about this problem, however after 45 years I am not surprised that the wiring is asking for some help.

Thanks heaps
    Brian
    Hi Brian-

You're quite welcome. I love the D enough that if anything I can do get one returned to the road, well, what are we waiting for? You need more info, I think I have ya covered. If not me, several others here have faced similar challenges.

The problem I suspect with the '68-'69 was the wire was made in the Soviet Bloc. It was at that time France was thumbing it's nose at the West, the US in particular, and so trade agreements were made with the East. Unfortunately, the cars- along with a lot of other things- suffered badly from quality problems. You look at a '67 or earlier. or a late '70 and later, the wire might be stiff, even cracked, but the insulation doesn't act like dandruff falling from a dog.

A friend needing a harness for his '69.5 and being ganged upon by a group of club members was how I got started in this. I've learned a lot over the past few years. Eh- it gives me something to do.

Bill
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Hi Brian-

You're quite welcome. I love the D enough that if anything I can do get one returned to the road, well, what are we waiting for? You need more info, I think I have ya covered. If not me, several others here have faced similar challenges.

The problem I suspect with the '68-'69 was the wire was made in the Soviet Bloc. It was at that time France was thumbing it's nose at the West, the US in particular, and so trade agreements were made with the East. Unfortunately, the cars- along with a lot of other things- suffered badly from quality problems. You look at a '67 or earlier. or a late '70 and later, the wire might be stiff, even cracked, but the insulation doesn't act like dandruff falling from a dog.

A friend needing a harness for his '69.5 and being ganged upon by a group of club members was how I got started in this. I've learned a lot over the past few years. Eh- it gives me something to do.

Bill
    G'Day Bill

At the moment I am doing a few running repairs to the wiring as needs be. My car is on normal registration and is being used as often as I can because I just love driving this car. In the near future she will get the blower fixed (noisy as), headlight upgrade, temp and oil pressure gauges (where the radio would go in a Pallas) and a full rewire (and dash reco while it is out).

I will certainly be seeking your help at the first sign of any trouble.

CitroŽn Regards
    Brian

Thread Information